iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Processing loss

Started by jim king, October 09, 2011, 11:37:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

Does anyone know of any studies showing the loss of Wood in processing from log to ¾ inch kiln dried  S4S boards ¿?
When using a circular resaw I lose:

21% in sawing.

8% loss in drying shrinkage

21% in surfacing

17% in cutting to standard sizes and defect loss.

The result being that 33% of the cant actually turns into product.  This of course improves a little when using a thin kerf resaw.

red oaks lumber

jim,
i don't get how you are figuring, when i use to have a circle mill, i would still saw about 15% over log scale.
when sawing i had a target size  to saw for example i might need 500 1x6  0r 300 1x8 so thats what i targeted, forget grade sawing you need to target that size or you will lose the farm. so now we sawed 500 1x6 dried them still have 500, ran them thru the planer still got 500 so the board footage doesn't change as the proscess goes along.
if you are selling graded lumber have your price set for just the wood,and then have prices for added steps ie: planing or ripping based on block scale of the wood.
i have probably made you more confused than before your post :D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

jim king

red oaks:

I do not work with logs, I work with clear cants cut with a chainsaw and resaw them.  I buy based on the board feet in each cant and then prosess it to a finished product.  Much different than sawing rough lumber from logs.  When I buy chain saw cut cants I discount one inch on two sides for the defects of chainsawing lumber.

For example if I buy a cant 6 inches thick and 8 inches wide I pay for a cant 5 x 7 and on a circular mill I loose ground but with a thin kerk if I buy the cant with the discount I yield what I pay for.  My real loss is in drying shrinkage and S4s to nominal sizes.

Thank You Sponsors!