iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Gates

Started by woodsteach, May 23, 2008, 10:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I need some advice please.

The ranch is in need of some new gates, and with my 3 daughters 3-8yrs I want to move away from the wire gates that most ranches use, ...so that they can open them for me. :D

What size of wood should I use 5/4? x 6"  maybe use a 3" x 6" for the hinge side since the hinge will probably not be a strap hinge.

I'll probably use pine as I have a lot of it and it will be lighter than oak.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

ADAMINMO

Why not use the painted or galvanized tube gates? My son is 5 years old and my daughter is 9 and they both like to help by opening the gate for me.They are light and work really well. They are inexpensive as well. Just my $.02 . :)

Tom

I am partial to 5/4 for a board fence and they work for gates too.  There's nothing wrong with 4/4 boards if the weight difference becomes a concern.

You won't have to worry as much about the weight of the gate if your hinge post is taller than the gate.  If it sticks up over the gate as high as half the length of the gate (at least a quarter), you can run a cable from the top of the post to the middle or end of the gate with a turnbuckle in it.  This will take the weight off of the hinges and allow the gate to swing easier.

Any way you can cantilever a counter-weight off of the gate will help in its closing and opening.  Making sure that the hinges are straight will be a big help too.

ellmoe

Quote from: ADAMINMO on May 23, 2008, 10:51:02 AM
Why not use the painted or galvanized tube gates?

Adam,

I'll quote an long deceased sawmill owner's resonse to a similar question, "do you see any steel coming out of that mill, boy?"  ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

woodsteach

My thoughts exactly Ellmoe,  I have the mill and have the logs might as well make 'em into something.  Besides the price of those metal gates is getting crazy.

Thanks Tom that is what I was leaning to was 5/4. 

I might even make a wooden frame and string barbed wire in the frame. 

will keep you posted as to what is completed.

Thanks guys

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Ernie

I made these gates using treated pine  6 X 2's that we milled on our place, the grand daughter at 3 yrs can open and close them alright.

The gates are 3.6 meters wide and are very heavy to lift but well balanced to swing.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Dan_Shade

my dog gets that look too from time to time :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Thank You Sponsors!