damaged link on Homelite XL-12

Started by mojo88, April 09, 2024, 10:27:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mojo88

Homelite XL-12
Terry industries
How old is this saw?
I got it from my friends grandfather.

Been using this beast of a saw for years then this happened.

Was clearing the yard today when I hit a moss covered boulder. That boulder was so green it looked like a log.
It just tapped it quickly but was enough to rip off
one of the teeth on the saw.

Anyone experience working with a saw with a bad link?
And how dangerous is it? I could keep cutting or should I wait 3 weeks to get an order from Australia to Finland..

I also have a Husky 340 but it needs a new carb.

How do you insert pictures on these posts?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

"ripped off one of the teeth" ??

So need a new chain to fit this saw? or just file the chain and sharpen this one tooth best as possible?

What is your chain-sharpening procedure under normal use?

Pics need to be sized which is accomplished several ways.
There is a thread on how to do that in the Forum, linked here. Idea is to put your pics in your gallery and then link to them in your post.
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=100194.0

Had an XL-12 back in the 60's. Great saws.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

The last Homelite Textron saws were built in the late 1980's, they changed from blue to red around 1970. The chain could be repaired but you are probably further ahead replacing it, they are not expensive. 
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

mojo88

you can see the broken tooth in my gallery
its titled BROKEN TOOTH
guess its time to buy a new chain  :thumbsup:

doc henderson

I would have no problem using that chain till the new one arrives.  was prob. due for a new one anyway.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

beenthere

For one missing tooth, I'd continue using.

Four missing front teeth (two top, two bottom) didn't stop my great grand daughter from eating sweet corn off the cob.  smiley_grin smiley_grin
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DHansen

Is the rivet area on that link cracked? Strap compromised?  I had one break the link at the rivet hole shortly after I noted a tooth missing on that same link.  I think my chain was weakened when the tooth was damaged.  Didn't hurt anything.

doc henderson

good eye  DH.  if it was a new chain you could try to repair or if new is hard to get where you reside.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

chet

The link  is actually broken and pulled up and away from the rivet. The chain might actually be kinked in that area now.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

rusticretreater

find a suitable chain replacement link set, swap the offending pieces out and have a one tooth skip chain.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Al_Smith

Like I've said many a time eventually you will hit a rock or metal .IMO just one broken cutter is not such a big deal but three in a row is a big deal .Matter of fact as I type I have about a dozen chains hanging on a nail awaiting repairs .I just have not been inspired to do so ---yet . The worst I ever did was discovering a steel fence post inside about a 24 inch dead ash tree .That one cleared off about half a dozen cutters on a 32" loop .Plus during that event it split the 7 tooth rim sprocket on a modified Stihl 038 Magnum .--Kind of a bad day in a manner of speaking 

sawguy21

I get the impression the op has little or no experience repairing chains, he might be well advised  to replace it. We also don't know what the rest of the chain is like.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!