iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Potted soil prep for bare root stock

Started by Brad_S., March 26, 2008, 09:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_S.

For years, I have been buying bare root stock from the local Soil & Water Conservation District sale and have had abysmal survival rates. To up the odds, I would like to plant this years stock in 5 gallon pails and keep them where I can weed, water and monitor them better.

My question is: What do I need to do to the soil that will be used in these pails? I have a kiln which will reach 160°, is it worth baking the soil to kill critters and weed seeds? Is that heat enough to kill any pathogens or other soil borne bad guys? Or am I over thinking this and all I need to do is fill the buckets and go for it?

Advice is appreciated. Thanks.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

Riles

Where is the soil for the pots coming from? Generally speaking, you don't need to sterilize the soil if it's coming from an area that doesn't already have the same plants. Think crop rotation, don't plant the same thing in the same place repeatedly because the pathogens build up over time. Likewise for the containers, if you're planting the same thing in the same containers, then yes, you need to sterilize the container.

Any clues on the poor survival? Drought, animals, diseases, and insects all leave clues. Poor soil nutrients are a little tougher to diagnose without a soil test.
Knowledge is good -- Faber College

HOOF-ER

Local nurseries use a soiless mix. This keeps fungus and disease down and allows  good drainage and air flow. Field soil is hard to wet and slow to dry out.  Alot of them are bark based to keep down expenses. There are some commercial ones availible. I would recommend a smaller pot as you are getting small seedlings right? For a seedling a gallon( or less) would be plenty big for a start. If raised in containers long enough you would replant to larger containers.
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

Thank You Sponsors!