iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

skidder snow blade

Started by RKH Logging, November 24, 2014, 09:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKH Logging

The weather has been terrible here in northern ontario. We got about 2 feet of snow in the past 2 weeks. Then yesturday the big thaw started we got about 30mm of rain and now have a huge mess on are hands. I havent been in the bush now for a few days and Im kinda getting anxious to get back out. Since the weather has kept me from working in the bush i used my time off to give the skidder a good full service now that its serviced i would like to build a snow pusher for the front of the 440.  I would like any ideas on building one, pics would be great. I dont really have any road to plow,  just the landing and driveway. I dont need it to angle. I was thinking on the idea of a square box blade pusher more then the curled wing style. Like i said i dont have a long straight push its more just piling it. Pics would be great and ideas on fastening it to the blade.  Looking forward to seeing some plans thanks in advance

BargeMonkey

I saw a guy who made a stone scoop and snow pusher off the back end of an old skidder. You could find an old 1 way plow and add to pin points to your fenders, up and down with the cable. Simple idea.

HiTech

I used a snow plow wing for mine. It angles a little. I have seen medium duty truck plows mounted on skidder blades. Most were 10 ft. wide. Something that would come off a 450 or 550 truck. If I am just plowing the landing i just use the blade on the skidder. That is 7 feet or more wide.

Nate379

Don't have a dozer at the landing for making your haul roads?  We usually keep a 750 around (around a D6 in size? it weighs about 35,000lbs)

snowstorm

if you have a long road to keep open and it snows a lot find an old vee plow. not one from a pickup the real thing. weld a couple brackets to the blade to pin it to then a chain to lift it. or a dustpan plow or a wing. if you could find an old  frink 10' dustpan it would work real well

Jhenderson

I'd build it like a brush rake. Have it slip fit over the existing blade and pin in place.

Skidder Kev

Take a look on youtube.  I have seen a few videos where they have made what you want.  I think it was a heavy equipment school in quebec.   

Skidder Kev

RKH Logging

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 24, 2014, 10:45:19 PM
I saw a guy who made a stone scoop and snow pusher off the back end of an old skidder. You could find an old 1 way plow and add to pin points to your fenders, up and down with the cable. Simple idea.

I never evan thought of using the back end thats a good ides.

cutter88

They don't work very well especially when there's no frozen base cause there's no float position in a skidder blade so there either digging in or off the ground iv saw a few guys try them just makes a meas
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

snowstorm

why would any one want a snow plow on the back

snowstorm

Quote from: cutter88 on November 25, 2014, 04:44:26 PM
They don't work very well especially when there's no frozen base cause there's no float position in a skidder blade so there either digging in or off the ground iv saw a few guys try them just makes a meas
if you use an old highway plow and pin it to the blade it will float

RKH Logging

Quote from: cutter88 on November 25, 2014, 04:44:26 PM

My 440 has a float position on the front blade.

barbender

My Pettibone has a float position on the blade, too.
Too many irons in the fire

BargeMonkey

Quote from: snowstorm on November 25, 2014, 05:11:52 PM
why would any one want a snow plow on the back
I said that figuring dirty+easy. A small pusher or plow on a 440 maybe, we have a 10'6" large 1way that pins on our 544G i doubt my 440D would pick up or handle.
What about finding a large loader tire, cut it in half and flatten a bit with some steel, just hanging off the blade ? Seen quite a few of those made for manure pushers, would work on a header for snow.  ;)

pwrwagontom

Quote from: Jhenderson on November 25, 2014, 08:21:24 AM
I'd build it like a brush rake. Have it slip fit over the existing blade and pin in place.

This would be my vote...I've seen it done before, flopped around a little, but was easy to detach at the landing

-T
Never give an inch

chester_tree _farmah

Yeah quick connect. Some folks use chain on the top and this allows the blade to float. Listen to BargeMonkey. Careful u don't buy too heavy a blade for  a small skidder.  The blades don't have a ton of lift and that snow blade and framing is adding weight farther out. The cylinders have less leverage on the weight the farther out it is....
254xp
C4B Can-Car Tree Farmer
Ford 1720 4wd loader hoe

BargeMonkey

I see 8-9' truck plows for sale all over, if you really wanted to get creative you could wire the electric over hyrdaulic pump to the skidder with the toggle and angle from the cab.
Yrs ago i had to road my 440D about 8 miles down the road to plow a long private road with quite a bit of snow. Made a path big enough for a 4x4 ranger to get up, out they came with a 300lbs dead bowhunter in the back. Poor guy died after coming in for the night and was in the house a week.  :o

chevytaHOE5674

Be careful with a pickup size/style plow on the front of a skidder, the blade/frame/springs aren't ment to have that kind of pushing power behind it.

Maine logger88

I have a old truck V plow that you can drive into and chain on it works good to break open roads but that's about it
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

BargeMonkey

Quote from: chevytaHOE5674 on November 26, 2014, 09:20:51 PM
Be careful with a pickup size/style plow on the front of a skidder, the blade/frame/springs aren't ment to have that kind of pushing power behind it.
Youve gotta go a little EASY sometimes.  :D   unless  you got going like a fool i dont see a 440A  hurting a decent truck plow used responsibly and it could be built for under 1500 ? And have easy parts for it. We do 70-80 commercial snow accounts, it goes from truck, to backhoe to dozer progressively. I wanna know how big of a pusher i could fit on my 450C, wanna stay warm when im plowing my gas station out next winter.  ;)

Maine logger88

Quote from: BargeMonkey on November 26, 2014, 10:06:20 PM

Youve gotta go a little EASY sometimes.  :D 
EASY what's that word mean ;D :D
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

RKH Logging

Ive been realy thinking about what im going to build. Ive done alot of research and cant find any one online running a box blade snow pusher on a skidder. I realy like the simplisity of the box blade idea. No trip springs, free standing when not on the skidder, plus very universal, i would be able to mount it on a backhoe or loader bucket if i need to.  Im going to build it 12 wide by 36" high.  This is similar to what i want to build. I figur i can build it for about $1100 thats sand blasted and painted. I got a guote for all the steal today it was $530 for 3/16 or $670 for 1/4. Then ill need about 20' of 1/4 wall 2"x2" square tubing. And i have a old 12' cutting edge. 

RKH Logging

Quote from: chester_tree _farmah on November 26, 2014, 07:45:09 PMCareful u don't buy too heavy a blade for  a small skidder.  The blades don't have a ton of lift and that snow blade and framing is adding weight farther out. The cylinders have less leverage on the weight the farther out it is....

Im not to worried about weight. I had a few frozen tree lengths in the ground yesturday and went to pop them out so the truck could pick them up. So i wedged my blade under them and started lifting them out and the back tires of the skidder lifted about 2 feet in the air before they poped out.

BargeMonkey

How wide is your 440A ?? 8'2" ? I would make it just a touch wider, 12' of heavy snow and your not going to steer, back end is just going to flop and chew. My big 1way is 10-11' wide  and hooks on my bucket, 32" on the low end and my 544G has all it wants to push it chained up. I just saw an 8' skidsteer pusher on CL for 800, they are out there.

Thank You Sponsors!