iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sunday Funday

Started by Sawdogg, January 12, 2020, 11:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sawdogg

So its a long story but thought I would share... when I picked up my circular sawmill I knew I wanted a planer not a new store bought but a old belt driven one so craigslist I went put a wanted add in for 4 months hit and miss to big cost to much everything under the sun.... until last Friday a guy messaged me said he had one I thought oh great what is it wore out busted don't work what else?  Well I took a road trip today to look at it got to his place met the guy we stood their and talked about it and to my surprise it was in great shape just like I wanted then he said to make a offer. I said I have no idea what to even offer for it well you got time he asked I said sure. well lets go look around the and you think about it... He slides back the door on one of his shops and bam!!! I was in heaven for about a hour... I asked how long did it take to collect all this he said a year and three trips to New York I was just amazed... second shop where he had his saw mill and another stack of tools.. everything ran off steam power or stand alone engine it was a great time!! So back to the planer he said how much I told him a price no no no that's to much ill sell it for this price....Yep sold!!! he also has a lath machine for cutting stickers in mass to sell might pick that up as well has anyone herd of this machine??.... so now I'm thinking how big of pulley do I need on the arbor  to run my 42 inch blade off belt power?? and where can I find pulleys and jackshafts and hangers?? considering he has some of this hes willin to sell... (sorry no pics of the planer but they will be coming this week)

Andries

Wow, that picture looks like you took a trip back in time.
I picked up my 1919 era Yates 12" jointer in Winona MN. from a similar looking shop. 
More photos please.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

frazman

That shop sure would bring you back in time. Would be very interested in seeing the shop working, I would be there for hours just looking.

Nebraska

OMG that is so awesome, ditto more pictures. 

Sawdogg

Sorry I only had one pick wish I would have took another pic of his second shop where his mill and shingle machine were... he had machines I didn't even know they built.. Tongue and groove machine one side did the tongue flip it the other side did the groove and a civil war finger joint machine was neat how it all works.... When I pick up my planer and hope he lets me take more pics... The guy was supper nice and said he will keep a eye out for more tools

Woodpecker52

Reminds me of the Henry Ford museum in Detroit..
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

sealark37

If your planer has a square cutter head, please educate yourself on the considerable hazards before you power it up.   Regards, Clark

51cub

Yup. I'll wait for more pictures too. I love steam power and belt driven popcorn_smiley
I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Sawdogg

sealark37 yes it is a double blade square head and I plan on researching a lot before powering it up.... need to find pulleys and jackshaft to run the feed rollers.... I know I know I should have gotten more pics but I didn't want to over push it... talked to him tonight about picking it up and he has a few more tools he said he would sell drag chain, pulleys,hangers, and other tools and is willing to work with me.. so this will not be the last time I'm down at his place!!! I cant wait for my new toy to get hear to start working on it

Dan_Shade

I'm far from an expert, and have no practical experience. 

My understanding is that those old planers can be very dangerous due to kickback potential, and the geometry of the square head will allow a very aggressive cut to be made. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pineywoods

Square head planers are about like a hand gernade with the pin pulled ::)
I looked at one a while back, opted for a 18 inch woodmaster instead...BUT one thing that looked do-able was to replace the square head with the head from a woodmaster. Parts for woodmaster are readily available and they are nice folks to deal with..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Sawdogg

Well today I went to pick up my new to me toy.. I cant wait to tear into it and so some research to see what year and model it is... at 17 below I'm not really feeling it haha.. I got a long way to go on restoring it but have a long way to go before spring.. didn't have time in this cold weather to look around at his shop again but willing to make another trip down if he sells me anything else... currently looking for pulleys and counter shafts to install and get the tractor hooked up and let her eat!! ENJOY!!

Sawdogg

Well I finally had time to set up the planer and run it this weekend. Replaced all the knife bolts adjusted everything oiled it up and used a old baler belt for the drive. It was nice to finally get this going and it worked great. One thing I have to do is adjust the knifes it taks a really big bite but I'm happy with it!! wish I could post videos!!

Thank You Sponsors!