iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stand Alone Wood Stove Experience

Started by Pulphook, August 12, 2018, 08:12:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ButchC

Me(edit) being a dog owner it surprises me that you are unaware of hackles, every breed I have been around has them but no worry mine have laid back down now ;).

Thank you for addressing and correcting the fact that users, not the equipment determine what gets tossed in the fire.

The  OWB water line facts list is incomplete
A- Yes they cant freeze while operating.
B- Yes burying the lines below frost lines will prevent freezing
C- But,brakes on here burying them  wont keep them from freezing where they come out of the ground to the stove nor will it keep the stove itself from freezing (and being junk)
D- Due to item C anti freeze is the only practical answer for a OWB user who thinks he wants to run it on a part time basis.

Going full circle, Operational lines dont need frost protection and neither do lines with anti freeze in them. The reason for burial of OWB lines is two fold. It gets them out of the yard and the extra insulation from deep burial will help minimize heat loss on longer runs..  An OWB no matter how it is installed is far from a good choice for the part time wood burner, that's the real bottom line here I think?

Back to stoves as you say,
As I said earlier we burn both inside and outside due to how our old house was constructed and added onto many times over.  I dont know the model of our Jotel gassifier insert but it is three years old and of course is EPA compliant. We like it a lot with the only minor irritations being limitations on the draft setting and how the automatic blower works, both of which were designed into it so as to keep it hot enough to gassify and thus meet EPA regs.  The wood we had prepped was actually too dry being 3 years old and stored inside thus even at minimum draft it got way to hot. Dealer said buy a moisture meter and keep wood between x and x % as it says in the manual.   I fixed it by eliminating the min draft stop and now we can run it correctly with any wood of correct  moisture or lower.  The blower will not run on automatic until the  unit is extremely hot, again, dealer says must be that way to meet regs.  We just run it on manual, no big deal.  A person who depends on such things for primary heat would need to be very careful about sizing it, too big equals no control over how hot the house gets other than opening windows. Spoon feeding it isnt an option unless you are OK with it not gassifying. From what I read the issues are pretty common across the board with that type of stove?

I also have an old Sears pot belly in the living room, it is there mostly for looks but now and then on cold windy days we build fire in it and efficiency be darned that thing sure feels good on a cold day! The Elkhounds nap right beside it and fur gets so hot you can hardly pet hem.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Pulphook

Ready---fire--aim.
T.M.I.
No dog now. Never posted any dog story....or hackles. :D
I voted for "Ralph". Our German Shorthair died 19 years ago. I wrote him in in the last election since he would do no harm to the country. :(

Any with a wood stove experience ? Cat. Non-cat. Cast. Steel. Soapstone. Hybrid. Brand. % of wood heat.
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

ButchC

Quote from: Pulphook on September 11, 2018, 12:07:40 PM
Ready---fire--aim.
T.M.I.
No dog now. Never posted any dog story....or hackles. :D
I voted for "Ralph". Our German Shorthair died 19 years ago. I wrote him in in the last election since he would do no harm to the country. :(

Guilty of typing in a manner that could be misinterpreted , sorry about that.  Let me try this.
ME, being a dog owner,,, 
I edited the post so others would not be similarly confused.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

Pulphook

Apology accepted and done.
Or, as the attorneys say : "asked and answered."
Let's move on. :P

Now, about wood stoves..........
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

trapper

we burn year around with an owb  when we go on vacation for 2 weeks in the middle of the winter we turn on the gas furnace which has the heat exchanger for the owb in it.  I leave the circulator  pump on the owb  run.  when we get home after 2 weeks of below freezing weather the water in the owb and lines is between  40 and 50 degrees.It picks up enough heat from the gas furnace to keep everything from freezing.  That is what works for me.

we burn year around with a owb
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!