iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seized up saw???

Started by shinnlinger, May 23, 2011, 09:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

A few months ago with help form this forum, I took an old 041 that had been sitting outside for years  and resurrected it by rebuilding the carb.  It seemed to run pretty well, but the chain was pretty shot so I didn't do much with it or really test it.  Yesterday I grabbed it and it seemed to be seized.  Since I have less than $7 in this saw, no reason to shed a tear, but I would like to know what I did wrong before I screw up one of my "better" saws.  I assume I set the high jet too lean?

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Ianab

You probably want to take it apart and have a look at why it seized. Could be wrong carb adjustment, might also also be possible to resurrect it if the damage is not too bad.

And even if it's not going to run again, now it's in bits you can sell the good parts and get your $7 back  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Tom

I don't understand what would cause it to seize if it ran before and was just sitting on the shelf.  Do you mean that it is locked up, or that you see seize damage from the last time you ran it?

SwampDonkey

Probably them crank bearings I think you was patching back together. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. But, if not, I told ya to replace'm. But, who knows until it's broken down. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

It may sound odd but I've seen supposedly stuck saws that turned out to be just a stuck recoil .

Ianab

Hence the suggestion to start taking it apart and work out WHY it's now seized

It may be fatal internal injuries, or it may be it needs another $7 spent on it  :D

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Saw Dr.

Quote from: Al_Smith on May 24, 2011, 07:02:53 AM
It may sound odd but I've seen supposedly stuck saws that turned out to be just a stuck recoil .

I have seen this several times also.  I have seen case bolts back out and lock up the flywheel on XL-12/SXL homelites too, but never on an 041.  I suppose it is possible.  If the saw seems intermittently locked up, you can bet on a crank bearing cage having come apart.  When this happens, all of th balls in the bearing move to one side, and contact each other.  This makes some pretty high resistance.  You need to pull the muffler, and if nothing is obvious there get the top end off and figure out what is going on.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

Al_Smith

Well if the thing was outside with the firewood and pigs and chickens likely something was amiss with it any way .If it got wound up with screwed up bearings they could have spun on the crank or any number of things . Now that's the bad part .The good part is it doesn't take many parts to recover 7 whole dollars by selling the parts that still work . Rebuilt carb,that should at least be worth the price of the rebuild kit . ;D

shinnlinger

Thanks guys,

The value in this for me is learning how to mess with chainsaws.  My concern of course is I don't want this to happen to other saws if I can help it.  All I did was take the old junker and realize  it had spark and compression so I just rebuilt the carb.  It seemed to run well and I did mess with the carb settings, but the chain was so bad I just shut it off and set it back on the shelf so the seizing is a bit odd to me as well.  WIll pull the muffler just for the heck of it.

Crank bearings are a whole new thing to me and maybe its time to check it out as the worse case scenario aint that bad in this case.  ON the other hand a 30YO 20lb saw probably aint worth the effort IMO.

Dave
Shinnlinger

Saw Dr.

Quote from: shinnlinger on May 24, 2011, 08:07:33 PM
Thanks guys,

The value in this for me is learning how to mess with chainsaws.  My concern of course is I don't want this to happen to other saws if I can help it.  All I did was take the old junker and realize  it had spark and compression so I just rebuilt the carb.  It seemed to run well and I did mess with the carb settings, but the chain was so bad I just shut it off and set it back on the shelf so the seizing is a bit odd to me as well.  WIll pull the muffler just for the heck of it.

Crank bearings are a whole new thing to me and maybe its time to check it out as the worse case scenario aint that bad in this case.  ON the other hand a 30YO 20lb saw probably aint worth the effort IMO.

Dave

If you truly want to learn to work on chainsaws then you are all set.  Crank bearings may be a bit of a chore, but nothing better to learn on than a $7 saw that does not NEED to ever run again.  Better to ruin a set of $7 cases than a $300 set of Husky or Stihl ones.  The old 041 IS worth the effort.  You can cut a $1000 pro saw out of a tree that leaned back just fine with a 30YO 20lb saw.  Plus it is very rewarding to take one out of the grave and make it run like new.
I don't try to explain to others why I play with chainsaws.  For those who already know, no explanation is needed.  For those who do not, no explanation is POSSIBLE!

Super 250

old 030

make shure it isn't just bar oil getting into the crankcase

Al_Smith

All oil in the crankcase would do is cause it to smoke like it was burning pine knots .That is if the thing would start to begin with .

I suppose because it's a horizontal  cylinder saw it could have a cylinder full of gas. Possible but highly unlikely .Easy enough to find out,pull the plug .If about an ounce of gas squirts out then the carb rebuild wasn't entirely successfull .

shinnlinger

Well Al,

YOu did it again.  I pulled the plug, gas poured out.  I replaced plug and the saw started right up.  I guess I get to look at my carb again.....

Dave
Shinnlinger

Al_Smith

Well good at least it really wasn't stuck .

I had an old buddy ,may he rest in peace that had a John Deere B with both cylinders flooded .Like an idiot I rolled that thing over with the plugs out but forgot the mag was hot .We got the fire put out before it did any damage . :o

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I was going to say, it couldn't have been seized.  Just couldn't start it. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!