iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rebuilding grapple trailer suggestions

Started by brendonv, August 02, 2014, 10:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brendonv

This fall i plan on rebuilding the outer rail of my grapple trailer. Its poorly designed with c channel, and round recievers welded to the outside of such. Weak, poorly spaced, and not enough stakes.

Looking for suggestions on material size. Im thinking 1.5"x 3" or 4" rect tubing for the outer rail that will connect to the cross braces. On this rail im thinking stake pocket, probably 6-8 of them as i am residential tree care to accomidate all spacing options. Then i am thinking a rub rail of 1.5" x.25" flat to accept the webbing anchors for straps.

Any suggestions, thoughts on material thickness for the outer rail rectangle?  Im thinking 1/4" as i dont want to lose loads of gvw as its only 15k gvw. Im thinking about a removable wood floor too.  In the coming years I'm thinking of replacing the loader too,  so i want this done right and DONE for the long haul.

"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

thenorthman

Would it be easier to make full bunks, that way the stake pockets will just be there for locating and holding the bunks, while the bunks would have their own cross member.

Might have to add a couple of stake pockets just to put things where you want them.  In that case adding some square 2x4 pockets would be a bonus.

Anyway just an opinion, rebuilding the entire side rails of yer trailer just sounds like a whole lot of work to me.
well that didn't work

brendonv

Its not as bad as it sounds. The channel is welded to the cross memebers in 6-8 areas.  I can cut striaght throgh wih a porta band, and have a fresh surface for welding. The channel has been welded, and tweaked from previous owner. Its a real mess.   I figure i can fab the outer rails on a bench, cut and square the cross members, and probably have it done in 6-8 hrs.   Ill take a pic of its framework to tomorrow. Very simple structure.

www.VorioTree.com

North River Energy

Stairs Welding(?) out of Maine makes a nice stake/pocket for their log trailers.  They're made out of magical high-strength steel.
If you are moving stakes around a lot as the job requires, the light weight and ease of handling might make up for the cost of buying pre-built.
The shorter size may be just about right for your trailer.

cutter88

Quote from: brendonv on August 02, 2014, 10:22:12 PM
This fall i plan on rebuilding the outer rail of my grapple trailer. Its poorly designed with c channel, and round recievers welded to the outside of such. Weak, poorly spaced, and not enough stakes.

Looking for suggestions on material size. Im thinking 1.5"x 3" or 4" rect tubing for the outer rail that will connect to the cross braces. On this rail im thinking stake pocket, probably 6-8 of them as i am residential tree care to accomidate all spacing options. Then i am thinking a rub rail of 1.5" x.25" flat to accept the webbing anchors for straps.

Any suggestions, thoughts on material thickness for the outer rail rectangle?  Im thinking 1/4" as i dont want to lose loads of gvw as its only 15k gvw. Im thinking about a removable wood floor too.  In the coming years I'm thinking of replacing the loader too,  so i want this done right and DONE for the long haul.

Hey that's a nice trailer I've wanted one for a long time!
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

DMcCoy

Before you start where are the weak points with what you have?  The uprights look good but it is a side view.  Log trucks use heavy cable to reinforce the 'pocket' where the stakes are attached.  Is that an option?  Are you loosing your pocket or are the stakes bending?

brendonv

The current round receivers are tweaked badly. They go every which way. From the previous owner basically.  They have been welded and who know who welded them.

There isn't enough of them either, i am residential and we end up with three foot logs often.  So adding another 3-5 is great for options.

Strapping is limited. The c channel doesn't allow you to mount any sort of extra strapping securely.  Thats why i am thinking rub rail for unlimited extra strapping.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

Was thinking along these lines but unsure what to go with for stake pockets.

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

Quote from: cutter88 on August 04, 2014, 03:22:41 PM
Quote from: brendonv on August 02, 2014, 10:22:12 PM

Hey that's a nice trailer I've wanted one for a long time!

Thanks its handy. A friend tipped me off about it, i was the third in line and the other two couldn't pull through. One of my best tools.  Im hoping to upgrade the grapple in the coming years with a metavic loader. We'll see!

www.VorioTree.com

brendonv

Also thinking about square tube in place of the conventional stake pockets. Possibly stronger?  I can go with 3x3x3/16". Then slide 2.5x2.5x1/4" stakes inside. Wonder if 1/8" is too much slop...

www.VorioTree.com

thechknhwk

What's the lifting capacity of that grapple?  Looks nice BTW

snowstorm

Quote from: brendonv on August 04, 2014, 05:00:50 PM
Also thinking about square tube in place of the conventional stake pockets. Possibly stronger?  I can go with 3x3x3/16". Then slide 2.5x2.5x1/4" stakes inside. Wonder if 1/8" is too much slop...

3/16 is to light. i have built a couple truck bodies. i always used 3/8" wall 12" tall.1/4 wall would be ok for stakes. and drill a 3/8"hole through the stake pocket and stake for a bolt. just the stake cant bounce out. brace the stake pocket

Thank You Sponsors!