iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cut some GUM today

Started by yarnammurt, January 12, 2015, 03:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yarnammurt

With he price of gum I thought I would thin the wood lot out. Right now its $60 ton for nasty gum logs. Should be 12-14 ton, Last one I hauled was 14 and some change. 

ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Thats a load.  :D The tires are grunting!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

Poston wants to cut some siding from that  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on January 12, 2015, 03:56:08 PM
Poston wants to cut some siding from that  ;D.

It would make some DanG good barn siding.  :)

fat olde elf

What is god siding ? for a church ?
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jemclimber

It's a tough crowd for the goat. Always someone waiting to pounce.  :D
lt15

Herb Brooks

Quote from: Jemclimber on January 13, 2015, 11:11:53 AM
Kinda like coyotes ain't they

POSTON WIDEHEAD

You're right Jem......one day I'm gonna fly off the handle and clear out some of these threads.  :D :D :D :D
I have Goat friends in high places.

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Alligator

Esterer Sash Gang is a  Money Machine

lawnsbylane

Why not saw some cross ties out of them ??? is it worth more as chip or what

yarnammurt

Sweet gum, And it is going to a tie mill. I have 3 more loads 8)
ATS 10" Peterson, 09 New Holland 4x4 TL90 with loader, 125hp White,2 2009 Kawasaki 610 mules,

dean herring

Saw some gum lumber on another post, it looked good. But not knowing if it will be I am asking.
Failure is not an option  3D Lumber

dean herring

Going to have a BIG sweet gum cut that is close to our house. Should I save it to cut when I do get my mill?

pineywoods

Dean, I think you will find that sweetgum logs don't store very well. Best to saw into boards as quickly as possible.. Oh, and quartersaw it. Stack and sticker well, plenty of weight on top, and cover with roofing tin.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

reubenT

yup.  That microbial life sure loves munching on it.   I sawed railroad ties for awhile,  picking them up and stacking them by myself got old.     The biggest piece of steel I ever hit was in the middle of a black gum.   Some guy was plowing the mountainside field long ago an lost a mule shoe.   hung it on the branch of a sapling.     When I hit something real solid in there,  was making 2x8's for my shed,  didn't want to loose the board so turned the log around and sawed in from the other end close to the object and split the board off.   I still have a rafter in the shed roof with the mule shoe buried in it.

fishfighter

Is gum any good to make stickers? I have a few I need to clear cut. They are on the small side. If they are not good, I will just pile them up and burn them as I did in the past.

WDH

They will warp and twist unless quartersawn.  But, if you quartersawed it, I wouldn't use that for stickers  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

terrifictimbersllc

Or a troll under the bridge.

p.s. here it is, with even more stories about goats!   http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/type0122e.html
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

fishfighter

Thanks for the heads up about using them for stickers. Burn pile they will go. :D

dean herring

Thanks for the info. Think I  will just let that gum live a little longer.

WDH

All the spiral grain woods like sweetgum, blackgum, sycamore, elm, and hackberry are very difficult to deal with.

Thank You Sponsors!