iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Water Oak

Started by Coffee_Creek, January 28, 2015, 08:31:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coffee_Creek

I have several large water oaks on my property that need to come down and was wondering what this type of tree is good for sawed. Some are 38" at base and 10-12' before the first limb.

Magicman

Water Oak is a Red Oak and the lumber is good for comparable projects.  The color is generally more gray than the other Red Oaks.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Den-Den

In my area, water oaks are more likely to have internal defects (hollow etc.) than other red oaks.  The solid ones make very good lumber.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Magicman

Ours are also much more susceptible to disease, etc.  I have no admiration for Water Oak except for the acorns that they produce for wildlife.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

JB Griffin

I went and cut up some trees that had been pushed over with a trackhoe and as Den-Den stated nearly everyone of em had shake or rot in the butt and a couple had about 5gal of black water in em.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

kelLOGg

In general, they are not highly regarded for lumber but I wouldn't let that stop me. I have made some nice stable beautiful benches from them. Go for it.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

WDH

The swamp grown ones can be very nice.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

danny you have some nice timber on your land.  of course, a suppose that's what a forester looks for when purchasing.   ;) :D
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: mikeb1079 on January 29, 2015, 09:05:32 AM
danny you have some nice timber on your land. 

Yes he does. He also keeps his place neat. A very pretty farm he has.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WDH

It is a nice place for goats. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!