iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question on Finshing a Big Cookie

Started by Lud, March 30, 2013, 05:58:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lud

DanG guys, I'm gonna have to increase my hat size......and I'm already a 7 + 3/4!!   The table frame and stools took a Cherry Danish oil and it's all going to look great  but I still have to skin them with some poly and re-oil and wax the table top so a few days more before the pics.

LowPolyJoe:  the bowties are 3/4" thick.  I taper ever so slightly , pencil the pattern (and mark the bowtie with L &R and a number), drill a pilot to depth, route out to the pencil line, shave slightly inward with a SHARP chisel and cut the corners, pour in the glue, paintup the walls of the excavation , dab the bowtie with a bit extra, tap down the bowtie slowly and cautiously, watching that it's full but doesn't hydraulically displace or splash.  The whole purpose of the bowtie is to lock zones together.  You need the mass in the bowtie to crate the desired stability.

Fla.Deadheader:  While I'm sure the giant drum sander of our dreams would be technically optimal,  my recent acquisition of a pneumatic oscilating sander lets me flatten very acceptably .  My Porter Cable, the Dewalts ,  were all dipping and diving but the cheap one I got at HF floats along and evens out the highs with a light touch.    I 've even interspersed it with the other tools as a leavening agent to promote flatness.
Down at Kiem's today I saw a pneumatic oscilating sander on sale for $169  but the one I got from HF works for me for less than $20!!
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Fla._Deadheader

Thank You. Got to look that up and see If I can cajole my son into a Fathers day gift, EH ??? ;D :D 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

lowpolyjoe

Fla._Deadheader

Lud, do you happen to have a photo of that sander ?? HF says they don't have any such thing  ::) ESPECIALLY for $20.00  ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Left Coast Chris

Beautiful table Lud.  Great work.  One question on the cookie:   it looks like it has more than one heart center.  Maybe three or four.   Was it multi trunk at one time?   If so, that may help with reducing the risk of checking also. Hope you give us a finished picture now that you have us oggling... :) :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Fla._Deadheader

Did a Google on pneumatic oscilating sander and found some that look like angle grinders ???  Is THAT what you use ?

I have a pretty good "feel" using a belt sander, but, still get slight dips and bumps. Then, I use my DeWalt orbital palm sander. I can get fairly close to flat, but. not there for sure. I also use a stout board like a block sander, but, my arms don't get the mileage they used to.  ::)

What about a pneumatic board file or flat plate sander ? Ever have any luck with one of those ??

My wood is pretty hard. Think White Oak in the states.

Thanks for any info you might offer, Lud.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Lud

Harold, I went to the HF website and what I had gotten was the 6" self vacuuming Air palm sander , #98895.  Which I ground off the outer half inch so my 5" discs would work.   Used lightly  ( with coarser discs initially) it floats along taking off the highs.   Showing $35 on sale.  Sorry about the misquote.

I also got the 2" mini orbital, #93629, that has a velcro face.   Here's what's great about it.  Sanding discs wear out on the outer edge first ,it seems, while the center is still pretty good.  I pick up  a used 5" disc with the 2" face and hold a razor knife to the back side to mark or cut off about a 3" disc !!  It's like recycling!!  Don't spin it too fast as it can fly off.  I will also use an old pair of pinking scissors to cut out the round sometimes.  Gives a much softer edge to the disc.

Going to the shop for the day...........
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Fla._Deadheader

First, it is ridiculed;

Lud

Wrapped up the Spiral Willow Giant Cookie table and stools and customer picked up last night. I 'd used the boiled linseed soak and then added some teak oil. I touched the cherry bowties with the cherry danish oil to mellow the earlier contrast.  I was a little leary of waxing right then as there were some micro pockets so did a quick wipe on poly with a foam brush and it kept it bright.  600, 1000, and 2000 final sands, blow off and wipe down.  Then Behr dark wax on the bark inclusions and minwax natural wax on the color areas.  It is amazingly smooth.

Here's my final pics.

and the top

and the customer was kind enough to flip a pic of the table at it's new home.

Axe Handle Hound

Lud that is an awesome looking table.  The color and grain in the willow is amazing and the finish really brings it all together.  I sure hope you signed that piece. 

Fla._Deadheader

Beautiful project, Lud.  8) 8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Al_Smith

It had to have been at least 10-12 years ago by now I sliced up the largest soft maple I have yet to see ,54" with almost no taper .From that I cut several 4" thick cookies for those who would attempt to make tables .

One my friend got and I inititually gave him about a half gallon of anchorseal to keep it smothered until it dried .As of 5 years ago it still did not have any checks visable .Since then he suffered a stroke, I have no idea how it turned out as he never finished the project .Heavy ,my Lawdy it   took 4 men my size just to move the darned thing .

Magicman

Thank you for sharing another of your masterpieces.  Of course the stools also.   smiley_thumbsup smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Lud,

That is a beautiful conclusion to your project. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

downsouth

WOW! Awsome looking piece of furniture. thanks for sharing

Thank You Sponsors!