iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ran across something odd today!

Started by CCC4, January 24, 2014, 06:36:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

popcorn_smiley   I have one more bag     hurry up this is driving more nuts then I all ready am :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

plasticweld

I was in West Virginia a few years ago and visited and old battle site.   I will have to look up the location, it was a hill top battle and it was between north and south  on the Road up to the house where there was a bend in the road was the old fighting trenches that they had dug, they ran in a perfect defensive location to keep anyone from going up the mountain road. It was two and in one spot three ditches that ran parallel with the road. Sounds very similar to what you discribe

goose63

goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

coxy

popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley popcorn_smiley and some grits to go with that  :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

CCC4

Dang...finally got it to upload! LOL! Remember guys that I botched this cut...misread the lean...missed my back cut....had to get some help from the skidder. I'm not embarrassed er nothing over the cut...it happens..not very dang often...hey, might as well show a screw up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oh0afMXuyOE&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA&feature=c4-overview

thenorthman

I'm voting civil war bunkers.

And its good to see someone besides me posting screw up vids, really helps build character...
well that didn't work

CCC4

Pftt! Yeh...character! Nothing like doing it for the camera! LMAO!

mad murdock

Thanks a bunch for taking time to share this CCC4!  Pretty cool stuff you get to work around down there!!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

coxy

popcorn_smiley ate my last bag :)  nice video I too think it has to do with a war   would not get to far around here with out chains on them tires  :D nice oak to bad for the mark up the side :( hope you find out what they really are  and I am not going to say any thing about that cut cause I am not a pro  darn good at what I do but not a pro it has happened to the best of us at one point in time 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

David-L

Nice video, hand chopping can have it's interesting moments. I take it that was a lightning strike on the oak.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

Jeff

Looks exactly like pit and mound or what we call cradle knolls. A natural occurrence here. The holes are longer than they are wide. Where my dad grew up, and the forest I hunted as a kid, I was convinced that at some point someone had been searching for some sort of long lost buried loot.  :)  This area which my family called the cradle knolls, was where I sat year after year in a deer blind. It was years later as an adult, after spending hours and hours of looking at these, that I formed my hypothesis of what happened. It was here on the forum where the Foresters confirmed my conclusions.  Not saying yours isn't something different, but everything I see makes me think its natural.  The earth is a wondrous place.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

treeslayer2003

the only thing I don't think it is, is blow over holes.
its my turn to be jelous of your timber lol, them are nice oaks bro. looks like that tree had a bit of a sweep to it, can be hard to read. you must really trust your skidder op.

Ed_K

Them hole's don't look like the blowover holes I mentioned  ??? on the tree,I do that really well  ;D but I have to walk back to the landing to get the skidder.
Ed K

thenorthman

Quote from: CCC4 on January 26, 2014, 12:04:23 AM
Pftt! Yeh...character! Nothing like doing it for the camera! LMAO!

Don't feel bad last week I went to fall a nice fat dougie, stuffed all my wedges in (5) and she still didn't want to go, so I figured the little hemlock next to it was holding her up... still didn't go.  Its been roughly an hour to this point, both trees are point down the easy way back to the landing.  So I get to walk the long way back... uphill both ways... to grab one of the jacks... did I mention the jacks are really heavy, if you get a chance to buy one of them silvey jacks do so...  2 hours one tree no video but got 3 36' logs out of it and better then half a log load out of one tree.
well that didn't work

thecfarm

Like I saw when Mr Perfect gets talking about how good he does,You have to do something to make a mistake.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SAnVA

What kind of rock around these holes, any iron ore in your area, around here we find test pits where they were searching for iron ore all over the mountains! These holes ore pits look similar and ours are from mid to late 1800's, but you may not even have iron around there, good luck, very interesting!

Thank You Sponsors!