iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anybody make it all the way through yet?

Started by Gilman, October 26, 2006, 08:40:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilman

I finally did it.  Poor thing must of thought I didn't care about it. So I finally kissed a back stop.

I almost got all the way through the bolt.  Next time I'll try hitting it a little faster and see what happens.

WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Dan_Shade

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

getoverit

Ive started out slow... just to learn how it is done... I've mastered nails and now I'm working my way up to steel spikes :D :D

One day I'm sure I'll get the chance to try my luck at a full grown bolt :D
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Burlkraft

There's an artical in this month's American Woodworker about slicing steel with your bandsaw......Obviously you got an advanced copy... :D  :D  :D

Well Done..... :D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Bibbyman

Here was my "first cut" on our new LT40 Super.

Looks like you may have me beat by just a little.  But I had a handcap because of cutting into the washer too.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Russ

Nails make a zing sound, bolts slow you down, its the rocks that smoke the bandwheels !!!!

pigman

As my customers would ask " did it hurt the blade ". ;D

Bob
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sawdust

Pigman, you could tell your customer "it never felt a thing.... died too quick."

sawdust
comforting the afflicted and afflicting the comfortable.

Duncan

Dave I was real nervous about doing that the first time that I ran your 70 with the remote operator station.  My most humorous moment was when I was setting up the mill and tried to slice throught the backstop without the blade moving while running the headrig to the other end of the mill.  It dosen't cut nearly as well, but it sure is even more embarassing if you have an audience.
Kelly

VA-Sawyer

I have an older Wood-Mizer where the sawyer position is right next to the carriage. A few years later they put all the controls in a box and mounted it on a tube so the operator  was about 3 feet further from the blade. I have one of those control boxes and have considered installing it on my mill to get a little further from all the sawdust. The problem is if I step back those few feet, I feel like I'm losing contact with what the blade is doing. As things are now, I can see the blade, hear the blade over the engine and almost feel how it is cutting in the log. I have 'nicked' a few parts on the mill, but I think being close to the action makes for a faster response to stop the blade.
I believe it will be a hard adjustment if I had a mill with the 'control box', not sure I could even be able to saw at all if I had a remote station that didn't move with the head.
Seems like the further the sawyer is from the blade, the more saw parts he is going to put his 'mark' on.
VA-Sawyer

FiremanEd

Quote from: Russ on October 26, 2006, 09:40:25 PM
Nails make a zing sound, bolts slow you down, its the rocks that smoke the bandwheels !!!!

amen. 1 "zing" is ok. 2 "zings" = ouch. 3 "zings" = replace blade and send log to firewood pile.

The worst we've hit was a 12 bastard file totally burried into a nice 16' #1 red oak butt cut. We had to dig that out, that was tooo much for the firewood pile.

You could hardly tell which side of the blade used to have teeth on it!!
Full time Firefighter / Paramedic
WoodMizer LT300 as secondary, full time job.
AccuTrac Electric Edger

Cedarman

Nothing will cause a commotion or kill a blade better than hitting a ceramic insulator at good speed.  It can suck the life out of a good sized engine too.  There is no doubt about what to do with a blade that has most of the teeth at a 90 degree angle to the rest of the blade.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pappy

"Anybody make it all the way through yet?"

Yup !!!
My mind was some place else when I hit this time and I went clean through a 5/16 " piece a steel like it wasn't even there  :o It sounded and looked like only 4 or 5 teeth where needed...  ;D  I finish the cut (black spruce) and it didn't wave too much..   :D

"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Swede

Nice picture Bibbyman but that blade must been dull ;D ;) You didn´t cut the bolt off!
Last week I sawed a 1:st log from a pine. 20" from the big end there was an ironthing 1x1". YESSSSS!!!! I had a brand new monkey-blade on. >:(
Sawed the iron out of the log, put a brand new monkey-blade on and turned the log. 10" from the end I heard that familiar sound again. There was another peace of iron the same size.

Swede´s rule no.1: NEWER USE A BRAND NEW BLADE.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Gilman

The backstop is the 4th from the hitch.  I got it so good because I didn't correctly adjust it when I had to replace it.  (A customer bent the original one).  I've been meaning to go back an adjust it to make sure it is at least 1/64" lower than the first.  I got use to, "make it past the first backstop and away we go!"

Better get the wrenches out.
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!