iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Options, attachments, mods for Skid Steers?

Started by SawDust_Studios, November 07, 2006, 12:42:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawDust_Studios

Ok, I know alot of you use a skid steer around the mill.  Well, today I finally got tired of the lack of capacity on my tractor, and more important the potential damage and danger I was doing spending so much time on the front wheels ::) , that I made a visit to the local JD dealer.  I think forgetting to engage the 4WD the other day going down hill with the big oak didn't help either  :o :( :( :o

I've spent the last two months watching ebay, looking for the ultimate loader, etc. Well funds didn't quite allow for a terex or JLG, or JCB telehandler, but I managed to get an excellent price on a new JD317 skid steer and JD has some nice financing and discounts or several machines. 

My question.  What options, attachments, or modifications do you recommend for using a skid steer around the mill?   I already added weights, so I'm at a little over 2000lbs ROC at full height and at just under 4000lbs tipping, so while it isn't an enormous machine, I think it will do the job much better and a bit safer than my tractor.  I got 48" forks with it and a large utility bucket which should be good for sawdust.  I already had 36" forks on the tractor that will also fit.

I'm looking for a grapple bucket?  Any recommendations?  Single or dual cyclinder? Size?

Should I fill the tires with foam or green slime?  Does it make the ride too rough?

Any other recommendations?
Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

ScottAR

Someone here has a really spiffy grapple by Faver.

One might look at WR Long or Bodozer models as well.

Congrats on your new play purdy... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ely

the grapple would be handy, and if you only use it around the mill you may not need them,but i am going to acquire a set of tracks for mine. i always wind up down in the woods getting a log with the skid steer and the tracks would help greatly.

woodsteach

I have a 317 also and I have filled 2 tires w/the green slime and it has worked great so far.  I have a 2 cyclinder graple and like it a lot, I can't remember what kind it is, but it has held up to a couple small logging jobs.  I just finished a post hole driller attachment and that is the best thing since sliced bread!  More attachments to come!

did you get the quick attach system for changing attachments?

Enjoy your new machine
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SawDust_Studios

Yes, I got the hydraulic q-tach. I really like that. Pop the forks on and off quickly.

Do you find the 317 is big enough for most logs? I was a bit concerned about going with that size, but the price I couldn't pass on.  They had a nice 320 too, a little more but if I added the weights to the 317, the capacity is the same.  My father really wanted a cab with heat/etc so he could relax while working  :) ::) :) and I couldn't do that with a 320 or 325.

Everyone I've talked to says that filling the tires with foam makes for a rough ride. I never thought skid steers where smooth to begin with...

Making Sawdust on a Woodmizer LT40SHD CAT 51 /WM Twin Blade Edger and WM DH Kiln

woodsteach

The 317 is ok for most all the logs I've dealt with.  Sure the 36" 12' oaks give you some problems or even the 48" 8' oaks make the grapples drag the ground but you learn to push and roll the big ones ;) ;).  This spring I harvested 100 16' avg 18" white oaks and loaded them out onto semi's with very little problem.

I've got to get a heater and enclosure, is your's factory or aftermarket?

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

SawDust_Studios

Quote from: woodsteach on November 07, 2006, 04:21:42 PM
The 317 is ok for most all the logs I've dealt with.  Sure the 36" 12' oaks give you some problems or even the 48" 8' oaks make the grapples drag the ground but you learn to push and roll the big ones ;) ;).  This spring I harvested 100 16' avg 18" white oaks and loaded them out onto semi's with very little problem.

I've got to get a heater and enclosure, is your's factory or aftermarket?

woodsteach
Factory...It is normally about another 4k to add the glass cab, heater and AC, but I got it for a little over 2k compared to other models sitting at the store. 

I ran it at the store and I don't like the fact that you cannot operate it with the front window open.  So we maybe looking for that little safety switch when it comes in Thursday.  I have a set of 36" forks that I'm putting on a grapple thumb for use now. Eventually I may find a regular grapple.

Will it lift high enough to load a log truck?  I thought it would, but wasn't sure. I figured I have a place anyway where I can be 2-3' above a truck if I need to be.

slowzuki

I think you'll like the grapple on the forks, I miss having that on my forks on my tractor.  It is impossible to set a log down gently on my mill without it.

The grapple lets you no be as accurate with the balance point too which is nice.

Thank You Sponsors!