iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable electric sheep fencing?????

Started by shinnlinger, August 19, 2009, 12:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

Lean Hay year in NH and I have more open land than fenced land but not the time to fence.

Have any of you experienced the portable fence units and solar chargers like premier one? Are there other/better brands? How many people do you need to move a unit? How practical is it to move a fence with the sheep still in?

Thanks in advance.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Fla._Deadheader

When we had the dairy, I made pens for the calves using "Cattle Panels". They are about 4' high X 10' long. Made from welded heavy gauge wire. Made a shelter, and attached one end to each front side of the shelter. When the ground was wet from body fluids, just drag it to a new area, and dust the previous area with lime, to help diffuse the acid liquid.

Maybe fasten a few of these together and drag them with the tractor ???  Might lift the part at the tractor just a tad, so it doesn't dig into the ground ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

woodsteach

I've gotten supplies for grazing cattle from powerflex.com  I have friends that move the sheep but I believe that they already have the next grazing area set up with the more netting and then they move the netting from the first move.  Make sense?
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

thecfarm

How many sheep you have? We use the cattle panels for our goats,but we only have 2 and no problem moving the panels with them.They stand there and eat or watch us move them. Tractor Supply has the best price,by the way,$20. We just got the panels this summer. Really takes 2 people to move and that is only 4 panels,which is a 10 X 10 area.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

HI,

Thanks for the replies.  I have considered stock panels in the past, but thought I would be moving them all the time.  How long does it take those two goats to chew down a 10x10 area?

What is good about this suggestion is I now realize I can make a much lighter unit than one with telephone poles as a base.  I was concerned about the goats rooting under the wall which is why I went with the poles (and they were handy and long)

Now I wonder if I  get some sticks of 20 foot rebar and weld up some 4x20 frames and attach my sheep fencing to that, making my own long panels that are relatively light weight but larger than a standard stock panels.  I could do the same thing with 2x4's they just wouldn't have as much potential life

I could then put this arrangement on skids and have a smaller but more rigid and much lighter unit that could still be dragged by one person with an ATV or tractor
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

stonebroke

It would be much easier to get a few rolls of elec. roll fenicing and a battery powered fencer . It does not take that long to move portable fence.

Stonebroke

thecfarm

Two goats can eat a 10 X 10 area in 4-6 hours or all the stuff they like.They don't like the grass or the ferns.It's mostly tall ferns now so we have not put them down there. We only put them in there for just about the time it takes them to eat all they want.With no shelter there I don't want them out in the hot sun all day.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!