iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Swing Mill Setup

Started by Lyndaker, September 13, 2020, 02:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lyndaker

So I just put down money for a new DL swing mill. I have never owned a mill before. Call me Rookie!
I'd like to see pictures of your swing mill dogging setup. I'm very handy and pretty sure I can save some bucks by making my own dogging. Also did you buy factory rails or make your own. Rail extensions are pricy and I'm pretty sure it would be a simple thing to purchase 20 lengths of steel of the correct shape and diameter and build your own adjustable feet with threaded rod or bolts. Any pictures and descriptions of your setup would be most helpful. 
Thanks in advance for helping out this rookie. 

quadracutter222

That is awesome! Congrats ;)  We have a 10/20 and really like it.  What model did you go for?

Ours was purchased used and came with 3 sets of the dogs. I really like them, but if I was to do my own thing I would do something along these lines:

Efficient Sawmilling Tips & Tricks - Peterson Portable Sawmills
down under the 'Holding Logs in Place section'

or something along these lines
He's back at it again - Milling Dimensional lumber from Redwood logs with a Turbo Sawmill! - YouTube

or
Setting your work area up correctly.

Depending on how you load your logs (live or dead deck) you are going to need something to bridge the gap between your deck and dogs, over the rail, so as to not roll logs on your rails.  I think there are some good vids on the D&L Facebook page that show this.  If you are going to machine load one at a time, then no factor.

I believe the standard set up comes with enough rail to cut 21', but I imagine you can choose to not buy them.  If you were going to fab your own, matching the V rail size should be easy, same as making adjustable feet.  The trick would be joining factory rails to homemade, as the factory has an internal triangle extrusion, that a chunk of triangle rail interfaces with to make a strong join.

I am happy to take pics/field questions if you have them.

Lyndaker

I bought the new 6/12. Live in north western Ontario and a huge tree is 20" so it should be fine for our typical size. 

Thank You Sponsors!