iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help in the best way in milling log to lumber using chainsaw

Started by alsayyed, December 02, 2005, 10:35:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsayyed

Good morning to everybody. Today I have done my first experiment on milling using the Stihl 650 and the small log mill from Granberg international. I have milled only 4 slabs because I had little problems like:
1 after I cut first slab my chainsaw blade got dull which is unusual to get dull there is must something wrong here.

2 using the 30 inch bar on the Granberg small log mill is not holing steady because the left side of the small log mill is tightened on chain saw bar the right side is not holing to anything so the small log mill tend to raise it self from one side and then the cut become not straight.

3 sometimes the machine stops not chewing on the log so I push and push then I pull back I must be doing something wrong here.
I have found out that cutting log with chain saw is pain really I mean it; maybe I do not have the experience in cutting these log. Could anybody help me what is the best way when it comes in slicing the log or cutting logs into lumber.

beenthere

Sorry to hear you are having trouble.
Have you looked closely at the chain teeth to see if the edge of the tooth is dull or worn? If it is, you may be hitting something like dirt in the bark, or sand, or the wood you are sawing has silica in it. 
What wood species are you cutting?

Did you re-file the teeth after the first slab?  Did it cut better then?  How long (time) did the chain get dull again?

Pushing a saw when the chain is dull is "a pain" and it just creates heat and frustration. Hope we can help find the cause of your problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

alsayyed

I appreciat your your help I did not check very well if it sharp or not. I had to replace the dull one with a new chain it worked but like I said not going smoothly like I have seen in dome vedio. but one thing i have to ask dose it matter which side you have to place  the chain on the bar, or mayb reversed or dose not make a difference. regarding sharping using the file i have not done this yet, but i have to learn.

beenthere

Yes, it depends on which direction the chain is on the bar so the teeth are pulled into the wood. Once the chain is on correctly, then you can cut wood on either side of the bar - carefully.
Look closely at the teeth and the cutting edge. It should be sharp like a knife edge. No shiny cutting edges should be visible.
Learning to sharpen the chain will be a good thing, and the sooner, the better, and you will be cutting wood again.

Do you know the kind of wood you are sawing?  Did you bring it back from Indonesia with you?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

alsayyed

no I did not bring from somewhere elese. I go this wood from the municipality when they cut wood sometimes. the type of wood we have here is Kini, vicks, Eucluptus, and some wood i do not know what is it. I will try to post some of these photo of these wood some times. In Qatar we do not have variety of wood maybe two or three spieces. But we have wood called Kini or kinya it is red wood and very hard wood and very stronge that some times could cause the table saw blade to be dull, but I like this kind of wood for out side projects. This afternoon I will try to take some photo of that wood.

solodan

A sharp chain is a must when ripping with the grain. I've milled lots of lumber with a chain saw, and even though I have a swing mill,  I still use my Alaskan mill sometimes.  a 30" bar on the small log mill is really pushing it. As you know, there  is no support on the tip of the bar. A ripping chain will help you achieve a smother cut, which gives you less chatter, resulting in faster chain speed and faster cutting.  every little thing is a factor. You can achieve very fast cutting speeds if you cut narrow boards in soft wood with a huge saw and a sharp chain with the oiler wide open. well that's not always the case, so you need to make the best of what you've got.  A Mini Mill or a BoardMaster make an excelent partner to a chainsaw mill, and in my experience, I believe that you need both to achieve good lumber. The first board that I ever cut was as frustrating as your's. I used a homade mill with a small saw and a very dull full comp chain. now with a husky 3120 and always a sharp ripping chain(well as sharp as I can get them) I can cut alot faster. I hear of people cutting 1000bf a day with a chain saw and, though it is very hard work I think it could be done. I've cut about 300bf of 1x6 in a 5 hour day, but that's all I can take of breathing 2 stroke and saw dust( ripping should create dust, not chips like when you're ripping) I wish you luck. If I can give you one bit of advice it would be to buy a new ripping chain and then learn to sharpen it, you will get better every day.

alsayyed

thank you very much solodan your advice and help is encourging me to get going on using the chainsaw more and more. i have orderd sharpner which it will work on 12v and i am still waiting for it to arrive.

PawNature

Alsayyed, here is a link to some information that I found very useful when I was milling with a chain saw.
http://www.chainsawsforsawmills.com/
GOVERMENT HAS WAY TO MUCH CONTROL OVER OUR LIVES!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!