iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Siding on 24” spaced stickers

Started by forrestM, April 26, 2024, 08:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

forrestM

Anyone ever sticker their 1/2" clapboard siding on 24" spaced stickers? I usually do 18" but the only space I had for stacking this week was set up for 24". It's tulip poplar. 

Thanks!

doc henderson

for half inch, I might do 12-inch sticker spacing.  for 1/4 to 5/16, it is 8 inches.  might depend on species and grain.  or put it up green allow for an inch of shrinkage per 16-inch-wide board.   ffsmiley
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

If the wood is nice straight grain you will probably get away with it  But generally the thinner the wood, the closer you want your sticks. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

YellowHammer

Yes, the issue with thin wood and wide sticker spacing is that it may "kink" while drying.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

doc henderson

see in the middle of this one with pith in the center and some sap wood in the 5/16th inch maple, has quite a wave.  8-inch spaces.  planes or sands down to 1/8th.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!