iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

First Paying Job?

Started by dirtymartini, June 23, 2019, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dirtymartini

One of my neighbors stopped by and asked if I would be interested in sawing some EWP 1" x 8" x 12's for his garage. I have been mostly sawing for myself for the past year and am not sure what to charge. The logs are mine. Any idea what I should charge a board foot? I'm in the northeast corner of PA.

WV Sawmiller

Are they your logs or his? Is he providing a helper or are you providing all the labor? How far away is he - sounds like he is pretty close. Are you moving your mill or is he bringing logs to you? If his logs I would suggest an hourly rate vs bf for cedar. I don't see what type mill you have. If hydraulic you should be able to charge more per hour. For your region I'd suggest start with about $60-$70/hr for use of a hydraulic mill and you sawing with him or his provided helper stacking. Maybe $45/hr if a manual mill. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dirtymartini

My logs. I have a WM LT 28 with power feed. He will pick up the boards when it's ready. I don't have to move the mill.

Woodpecker52

Check the price at lowes and undercut it 30% and see if its worth your trouble.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WV Sawmiller

I misread about the cedar. With Pine I'd just quote him a bf price. i sell my pine for $75/bf in my area. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

dirtymartini

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 23, 2019, 09:49:44 PM
  I misread about the cedar. With Pine I'd just quote him a bf price. i sell my pine for $75/bf in my area.
Thanks, I was thinking somewhere around .75

barbender

$75/bf, WV? I wish I could get that!😁 Dirtymartini .75/bf is pretty good. It comes down to how much you have into your logs, and your sawing rate. White pine is pretty good going.
Too many irons in the fire

WV Sawmiller

Barbender,

Any less than that is not worth the time and effort IMHO. I'm not going to be like the local moron who used to buy a 5 pack of gum and sell it for 5 cents a stick. 
Howard Green

Southside

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 23, 2019, 09:49:44 PMi sell my pine for $75/bf in my area.

I just loaded up my trailer with all the pine lumber I can fit on it and am headed to West Virginia. Cha Ching!!  Cha Ching!! Cha Ching!!  Called the wife, told her to sell the farm and the cows - we be headed to the hills!!  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

WV,

I think you are missing my humor here...unless you are actually getting $75 per board foot like you wrote (an 8' 1x6 is 4bf, so $300?😁)

47sawdust

barbender,
Happy Birthday go easy on the bars today and hard on the cake!
The local mills sell green off the saw pine for .75 bf. here in Vermont.I would never sell a stick if I tried to get that price for mine.Everybody and his brother either has a mill or a large pile of lumber for sale here.It all depends on the area you live in and what your customer is willing to pay.If you can get your target price more power to you.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Chuck White

At the local Amish mills in this area, you can get EWP at $.43/bf, and several mobile FF members charge $.30+/bf for sawing and $.78/bf, so $.75/bf is not out of line!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

WV Sawmiller

BB,

Okay - I missed it. Yes it helps to add that decimal.75 cents/bf is my price. Happy birthday.
Howard Green

Ed_K

I got .50 on the last w/pine sold but I had to listen about my neighbor was getting .35 but didn't have any.
Ed K

WV Sawmiller

Ed,

I always tell those kind of customers mine is 25 cents/bf when I don't have any.
Howard Green

PAmizerman

$0.65 green
$0.70 air dried
West Central PA
Woodmizer lt40 super remote 42hp Kubota diesel. Accuset II
Hydraulics everywhere
Woodmizer edger 26hp cat diesel
Traverse 6035 telehandler
Case 95xt skidloader
http://byrnemillwork.com/
WM bms250 sharpener
WM bmt250 setter
and a lot of back breaking work!!

olcowhand

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on June 24, 2019, 04:07:15 PM
Ed,

I always tell those kind of customers mine is 25 cents/bf when I don't have any.
"Mine's free when I don't have any, and 2X regular price when He doesn't have any....."
Olcowhand's Workshop, LLC

They say the mind is the first to go; I'm glad it's something I don't use!

Ezekiel 36:26-27

dirtymartini

Quote from: PAmizerman on June 24, 2019, 08:53:35 PM
$0.65 green
$0.70 air dried
West Central PA
Thanks for the local price PAmizerman. I told the guy I would do it for $0.65, since he's my neighbor.

barbender

As my birthdays continue to add up, I'm gradually getting better at not working for free or too cheap. I've been continually pushing my prices up, but to be honest, I don't saw all that much. With what sawing I did this spring, I was selling pine 1x material for .75/bf, and Red oak for $1/bf. I used to think about pricing like "how much could I get it for at Home Depot?" but anymore, I'm always short on time and I'd rather burn my logs and go fishing with my kids, then work for $10/hr. I'm just trying to keep it to products that you can't get anywhere else, and price it where it's worth my while. Otherwise, my mill is paid for and is just swell for personal use only😊

Thank You Sponsors!