iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Customer's projects pictures thread

Started by Jim_Rogers, January 11, 2014, 10:56:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

I tend to orient my live edge the other way for that reason for tables and benches.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

WV Sawmiller

Man, you guys (Youse guy's for our northern brethren, You'uns for those around the Eastern Ohio/WV Northern Panhandle/Western PA area or our Y'all for our deep South highly cultured and elite member) are killing me. The last time I showed a bench I had made with the wide side up  y'all beat me up (again). I normally position my slabs like Jim's customer did his bar top but sometimes reverse it if I have a good reason like I felt led to do so. :D

Jim,

I really like that bar top.

Dana,

I truly love that cedar log in the center of the cabin. I can see it getting used for so many purposes! Very well done. Keep  on posting.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

jeepcj779

I would think for a bench you would want the narrower side on top because it may be more comfortable to sit on. For a bar, the wider side on top might be better for extra width and for holding more drinks.

trimguy

I think if this Particular slab was flipped over, he would not be able to enjoy the live age as well on the angle that it is.

JRWoodchuck

To me it's like a natural chicago style bar rail. You can lean your elbow into while drinking! Might have to get rid of the stools for that though...
Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

Brad_bb

I don't sell wood, but a guy I used to work with when I was 19 in a stamping press shop, and I also watched him and my neighbor build a custom hot rod in the late 70's that toured the country and was in playboy magazine, wanted to build a table for him and his girlfriend's new condo in Chicago overlooking lake Michigan.  So I let him pick a slab, one of my widest ones by chance.  It was air dried, but I then had it kiln dried by another guy for him.  He decided to finish the cracking down the middle and split the slab into two pieces. It was pretty easy as there were ant nest/tunnels in the center of this slab. Not too bad, but it would all get filled. Then I flattened each half on my mill planer.  It started out at 8.5 feet long, but he cut it down to about 6 feet or so I think to fit the space best.  I helped glue up some live edge walnut boards to make the island you see to fill some of the space.  He wanted to work on it in his basement, but I warned him not to store it there due to moisture.  Well 8 months later he came back with them and I had to flatten them again as they cupped a bit from being down there for so long.  He took it from there.  It came out really nice I think!  Here's the car he build back then- he's very experienced in body and paint work so I knew the epoxy and finishing would be no problem for him.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Walnut Beast

Nice team project that turned out fantastic 👍

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dana Stanley

Making Sawdust, boards and signs.
Woodland Mills HM-126
Kabota B-7800 with backhoe and loader
Ford Ranger, Husqvarna 455 20", Mac 610 24", other chainsaws 14", 23 ton log splitter
Matthew 3:10

Raym

Realized I did not share this years Christmas project. As always, I like to challenge myself with something new and decided to do a set of kitchen cooking utensils. I am the designated stirrerer in the kitchen and wanted some nice wooden spoons and spatulas.

The pedal box is made from ambrosia maple

The rest of these were made from Cherry (which was only air dried) and I think it is easier to work this way. I really like the feel of the handles and  my wifes favorite one is the strainer. It does work nice in that you can drain a pot with out having to dig out a colander.

'14-LT40 super, nyle l200m kiln, vintage case 480E loader.

It's not the fool that askith, it's the fool that agreeith.

midwesttrees

Nice. Handmade products which made in wood really nice. I love it
Contact Us Today For All Midwest Tree Removal Service Needs In St Paul, MN. FREE Quote Call 651-401-8182

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Sauna freak

Finnish sauna currently under construction.  Used the sound wood and some spalted red pine (non-structural) for framing lumber, some of the larger spalted planked out for siding or reserved for interior planking.  Had to make quick use of 2 trees killed by flood stress/pine bark beetle.  Rafters and some framing lumber are black spruce. Remainder of Black Spruce sawn 3/4 and reserved for battens/random lumber. A large jack pine made up majority of the siding planks and some of the plank roof decking.  This project is all happening off-grid with only a small generator to run the table and miter saw for edging and trimming.  Raw logs propped up and slabbed to point of portability in the woods using the chainsaw mill, finished for best use in camp.  Lots of blood, sweat and tears here!

Interior picture is my sauna at home completed 2 years ago.  Interior of this one will look similar, although balsam fir will likely be used for interior paneling along with some of the 3/4 spalted red pine held in reserve.

Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Sauna freak on February 05, 2021, 09:38:10 AM
Finnish sauna currently under construction.  
I'm confused, is your sauna finished or under construction? ;D :D :D
(Sorry, could not resist, just ignore me. :laugh:)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Sauna freak

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on February 05, 2021, 10:55:02 AM
Quote from: Sauna freak on February 05, 2021, 09:38:10 AM
Finnish sauna currently under construction.  
I'm confused, is your sauna finished or under construction? ;D :D :D
(Sorry, could not resist, just ignore me. :laugh:)
This one at my hunting camp is under construction.  The one at home is "completed," in the sense that it's fully functional, but still could use a few finishing touches that I never seem to find the time for, as seems to be the case with most of my projects.

This one is Finnish unfinished, unfinished. Considering Swedish Finish on some of the lumber in addition to the Japanese torch finish exterior. The one at home is Finnish, Unfinished, but finished finished exterior, and is kinda Finished.
Sauna... like spa treatment, but for men

Hilltop366

alanh

not a customer project, one of my honeydew projects, Bathroom vanity, white oak with a walnut top, 

alanh

another one, curved birch slab window ledge table for the family cabin in Vermont

WDH

trimguy

longtime lurker

Love them both - simple clean lines and let the wood do the talking. Great jobs!
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

alanh

caveman

This customer's project is not finished but it is coming along.  He is a former student of mine from the late 1990's.  He is building a gun room.  The ceiling has 1/4" steel so it is essentially a safe.  He specifically wanted knotty cypress so that it would not be boring so John and I sawed up some knotty cypress yard trees and dried them for him.  He came back yesterday and just about cleaned us out of 1 x 6 cypress.  The ceiling is done in red cedar.  He is machining tongues and grooves on all of the cypress.  The top set of cabinets all open upwards so that he can store long guns in cases rather than leaning them up in a corner.  I enjoy seeing the work that he does.

I am anxious to see it when he is finished.
Caveman

Skip

slider

al glenn

Thank You Sponsors!