Lucas Sawmill blade 546mm x 5T FTG

Diameter: 546mm  Diameter of the blade
Teeth: 5T   5 teeth on the blade
Bore & Pinhole: 30mm, 5+5 pins   Not sure
Kerf: 4.8mm is what the tip cuts
Plate: 3.2mm thickness of the metal
Design: FTG  I dont know

sawmilljoe

Don't have photos right now . I had mine milled with the centering hump in the middle and a half inch deep hole the size of a shaft collar on the other side. Pressed  the two together heated them and welded together so they would stay true.

sawmilljoe

For safety before running this mill to stay safe look into some chain mall to hang between you and the blade . if you hit anything with the blade it could safe your life ( I got lucky when I did).Built is looking good.

kameljoe21

so the arbor is welded on the shaft or the blade,
One awesome thing about my gear box is the i can swap out and make new shafts

sawmilljoe

two piece arbor other wise it is hard to cut a key way in a hole that doesn't go all the way through .

kameljoe21

I got ya

I it can be done, just have to know the oldest guy at the machine shop with good lathe skills

sawmilljoe

yup it can be but most will not make the cutter to do it once and take the time to cut it .A lot cheaper to weld it together.

sigidi

If I'm reading this right you guys are talking about welding the driveshaft (coming out of the gearbox) to the blade hub to hold the blade?!?!?!

Personally I'd advise strongly against that, this WILL fail and the blade WILL come off during use - maybe not the first day, but it will. It may be a cheaper, faster, easier option....but just think about that concept in conjunction with losing your leg...."I might have lost my leg, but it was cheaper, faster and easier to do it that way"

This is why Lucas Mills have their driveshaft/blade hubs cast as a single piece...
Always willing to help - Allan

kameljoe21

No what sawmill joe was saying

your arbor, NOT the SHAFT

is made of 2 one inch thick 4 inch round stock, one is milled with ( not sure his shaft size but lets say 1 inch) 1 inch hole 1/2 deep, and a raised side the size of your bore, Hole in your blade, to your blade thickness, the 2nd round stock has a hole all the way thru, thus allowing for an easy key way to be done, then he heated them and welded them to make his arbor, then took a key way and set screws and put it on his shaft

leroy in kansas

I made the arbor for my mill in one piece. Took a while to get it done but I believe it's the way to go.

I cut all the dimension's on the outside, then drilled and bored the hole for the shaft from the transmission (gear box) I used the boring bar with a bit cut to drag out the metal, then kept dragging and advancing the feed until I was at the depth required. I used 1/4" key. Be sure to lock the head of the lathe so there isn't any movement.

tjhammer

kameljoe21 Leroy and sigidi are wright make your arbor from one piece like a truck axel you can mill the center hole reference in the axel and make sure you drill and tap your saw bolt holes don't drill straight thru and use a bolt nut I learned the hard way and do not weld any thing that has to do with your arbor
hammer

kameljoe21

I have seen a few with the truck Axel

I will have to check the ones i have to make sure the the are large enough that will fit my gear box, I need 1 1/8 for my shaft

be sides the truck axel how did any of you attach your arbor to the shaft, besides the key way and set screws ?

any photos of  your build of the arbors would be awesome

tjhammer

I have some photos in my gallery of the axel I used cleaned up to 1 15/16 and as I said I made mine as a jack shaft dangerous dan had a electric swing saw photos posted you may get some info off his site he geared his with pulley size and also used a jack shaft very simple design and worked very well
tj
hammer

kameljoe21

been reading up on some stuff

I would like to know how you guys sharpen your swing blades

I have seen the Peterson video, and have the same sharpener that they use, but not the modifies bracket

are the Peterson and Lucas blade similar, for the 550mm blades or the 22 inch ish blades

and what diamond cutter do you use, the blade type, i seen many different styles, like cup, taper, flat, etc...

Thank You Sponsors!