iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What should I pay for a cookie?

Started by Brad_bb, April 13, 2010, 07:31:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I need an axe throwing target.  I went to a local tree service who has a huge pile of log chunks(not full logs, just chunks).  Guy wasn't there so I left a message that I need either a 36 in dia oak cookie 10 inches thick, or I need four 26 inch diameter cookies so I can make a clover leaf target.  I'm not sure the message was clear as one of his guys called me back and said it would be $80.   So I went over there and we looked for a 36 inch chunk and found one in the pile.  They make firewood out of their chunks by chainsawing them to length and then splitting them.  I asked how much to cut off a 10 inch thick cookie off the chunk.  He said his boss said $80.  He said they are charging firewood price at $120  or $180 a cord.  I said well that cookie I want is nowhere near half a cord and $80 is way more than his firewood price.  So doing my cookie would actually be less work for them, one chainsaw cut, done.  He said he'd talk to his boss and call me tomorrow.  I don't think it seemed right to him either. 
So what should I have to pay for a cookie like that, especially considering they are cutting and splitting them for firewood anyway?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

mcfcfan

Quote from: Brad_bb on April 13, 2010, 07:31:59 PM
I need an axe throwing target.  I went to a local tree service who has a huge pile of log chunks(not full logs, just chunks).  Guy wasn't there so I left a message that I need either a 36 in dia
So what should I have to pay for a cookie like that, especially considering they are cutting and splitting them for firewood anyway?

If you were here in NZ we would give it to you for free 8) 8) 8)
Cheers
Lee
Life isn't about how to survive the storm,
but how to dance in the rain."

Magicman

Undoubtedly that guy either figured you for a sucker, or is experiencing really hard times.   He's probably not going to back down, so you probably will go elsewhere.

It's a pity that you are not closer.  I'd give you as many as you wanted...... ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Roxie

Yeah, if you're ever passing by this way, we've got a birch cookie you can have if you haul it away.   :)
Say when

Cedarman

When I get someone stopping by for odds and ends they are buying my time or my employee's time more than the actual piece of wood itself.  The slab may be headed for the chipper, but the 15 minutes it takes to decide which one, then another, then stand while they figure if it is really what they want etc.  The slab is $2.00 as mulch, the time is $25.00.

$80.00 seems a bit much for a cookie, but he may have priced it that high to discourage the sale. 
We have priced things rather high to discourage the sale.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Don_Papenburg

If you have a long bar come on down and you can cut a cookie off a maple tree   Or you might like the smaller oak.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

bill m

If some one came by my place and wanted one it would be free and I would even use my tractor to load it for them.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

metalspinner

Wouldn't the oak split after a few throws?  Something like elm might last you a bit longer.

Check Craigslist.  Lots of people leave the trunks in their yard after they have their tree cut down.  It's just too expensive to remove the big butt log.

I, too, believe he thinks he has a sucker on the line.  Someone else might be more willing to play ball with you.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Ernie

I've got a pile of Euc saligna cookies that are about to become firewood, bone dry and hard as H--- your axe would probably just bounce off ;D  but come on down and pick up as many as you need.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Brad_bb

I don't know if he thinks he has a sucker necessarily, he may have assumed 4 pieces were needed and figured his guys time.  The owner wasn't there.  I was talking to one of his guys.  Perhaps when he understands that we found a 36 inch in the pile and I need one cut, he might be more reasonable.  Admittedly, I don't have a saw big enough to cut a 36 incher myself.  $40 or under I'd probably bite, because I want to get it done.  I could also offer to have him and his guys over and show them how to throw the axe if he does right by me.  If interested, that might be a good trade.  If not, I'll walk away and try something else.  Other options are Craigslist as someone mentioned, and putting a bunch of timbers together, not that I have a bunch to spare now, and if I use softwood , the target won't last near as long.  
  As far as the oak, I've been recommended to use oak.  It probably won't split at 10 inches thick from just the throwing axe.  It won't go in that far.  A guy brought a target to an event last year that was made from beam drop offs, and even though it was softwood and only 6 inches thick, they acted like a frame and kept it together.  We thew at it a lot for 2 days.  The face was a little beat up by the end, but structurally still totally sound.  We were actually throwing in the side grain which ran vertically, parallel to the axe bit.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Cedarman on April 13, 2010, 09:17:22 PM

$80.00 seems a bit much for a cookie, but he may have priced it that high to discourage the sale. 
We have priced things rather high to discourage the sale.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Bingo! There are lots of outfits that don't want to deal small potatoes. Personally, I see this as a business flaw as long as you can make something and not cost you more doing it. Sounds like an awfully easy $80 or $40, even $20.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

4genlgr

My son does the "playing with sharp objects" thing most of the targets i've seen at the shows have been white pine cookies i would think oak would be hard on the axes they will stick in easier with pine

Brad_bb

I agree with you SwampDonkey.  It wouldn't be any additional work than they are doing now, actually a little less probably.  Plus you'd think they'd be into helping something like this out, especially if I offer to host a contest.  I called another tree service this afternoon and they wanted $100 for a cookie!  Jeez, they must be gold plated.  That's the problem with being too close the big city(and a corrupt one like it is), every body thinks if you want it, take as much advantage as you can.  Bad attitudes.  It's like people just don't get it.  You make contacts and good relationships with people, and you've got a good chance of getting their business when they need it, or them recommending you to others.  Instead they do the opposite.  So I put up a Craigslist ad and got one response already from someone who makes firewood.  He has to check and see if he has any big enough chunks left. 

Ron Scott

If you were closer, I'd also let you have one free. We are cutting oak sawlogs at present.
~Ron

Frickman

I'm like Cedarman, I charge more for my time than the wood. Still, I'd would probably say $20.00, not $80.00. I learned a long time ago in the retail world folks don't have much problem parting with a twenty. More than that and they start thinking about it. Less than that and it may not be worth my time fooling with them. I'm sure Bibbyman can jump in and tell some stories about folks picking through piles looking for the perfect piece of wood.

If I take care of someone when they need something small they more apt to come see me when they want something big. If I send them to my competitor for the small sale guess where the first place they go for the big sale will be?
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

VT_Forestry

That's just ridiculous.  I bet I could cut one, slap a UPS label on it and ship it from VA to you for less than $80  :D
Forester - Newport News Waterworks

Cedarman

A 36" x10" long oak cookie  will weigh well over 300 pound.  No UPS truck I know will carry it.  LTL freight will be $100 time you palletize it.
Ever sit in the coffee shop and listen to the braggards talk about how they got something for next to nothing.  Instead of saying he was a nice guy and let me have it , they act like the seller got suckered.

Remember this, if I buy something for a $100 and its going value is $1000, you have no right to expect me to sell it for less than $1000 any more than if I paid $1000 for something worth $100, I have no right to expect you to pay $1000.

If I think something is too high, I shop at the next store.

On the very same day I had a fellow from Mi say I was real low on my prices and a local guy about croak because he though I was so high.  Same exact 4x4x8'   The local bought a bunch anyway.  So I guess I wasn't too high afterall.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Brad_bb

You are right.  I calculate about 353 lbs.  I'd need a forklift to lift it.  So thanks to you I'm re-evaluating the necessary thickness.   Maybe I can get away with 6 inches?  That would only be 211 lbs.  I'm figuring 5 lbs/BF.

With regards to your analogy...I'm just figuring that this is firewood to this guy(it will end up as that) and involves one chainsaw slice.   Loading, he's got a grapple right there he's loading the firewood with...so sucker or not, $80 and $100 do seem quite high to me.  I'll figure this out somehow.  I was thinking about using some oak brace stock I have that doesn't meet grade, but do do that, I'd have to plane them and joint them for glue up, and I don't have a jointer.  I'd have to hand plane one side square.  3X5 and 4X6 stock.  It would be a bunch of work, but possible if desperate.

HOOF-ER

I would give you one also. You want to take a road trip? I think you would have more than that in gas. I have a large sycamore laying at home, my brother throws tomahawks at it. Don't have to worry about that thing splitting. ;D
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

captain_crunch

Go back and tell em you want a 1/2 cord un split ;D ;D then you would have a lifetime supply :) :)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

SwampDonkey

No, oh no. That's $80 a linear foot. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

How come you need such a big target?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Brad_bb

A regulation target is 36 inches in diameter.   So I need a 36 inch cookie, or 4 cookies that are at least 25 inches in diameter so I can square two sides and fit them together like a clover leaf to give enough space for a 36 inch ring.  I can use even smaller cookies, but it's a lot more work to square them on 4 sides and glue them up.   

Papa1stuff

You could use 2x4 stacked with the ends out for the target!
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Ironwood

Anyone coming thru on the I 70 or the Turnpike could grab one here for him. Darn shame, got LOTS of bigguns here. You could pick want you want.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Thank You Sponsors!