iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Earth Day

Started by splinters, April 23, 2002, 05:49:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

splinters

Just got done watching yesterdays news on the Prez. coming to the North Country to announce the newest plan to save the planet. Which got me to thinking about all them people and how they got there. At least AF-1, a press plane, local reporters driving, protesters driving, and a security plane or planes.  You look on a map, Whiteface Mt. ain't near nothin' of any size. I bet that if the fuel that went through those engines was #2 fuel oil instead, the whole town could have been heated for a winter.  What a waste!
This planet has survived Ice ages,Volcanoes, Asteroids,       2 World Wars and who knows what else but it may not survive the ecologists.  
With all that snow flying around I wonder what they think of Global warming now. And where did the ice go from the last ice age?

Jeff

When I hear talk about how man could destroy the earth, I think these people must be pretty arrogant. The earth will take care of itself, Man will never destroy the earth, he may however destroy his ability to survive on it. The earth will go on with or without mankind. We are only a blip on a blib in the history of this planet. Once we find a way to destroy ourselves,  that will simply lead to the next evolution for earth.

Earth day should be called "humans that are so full of themselves that they think they can out do the creator day" 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Wenrich

And for Earth day, I went to an American Chestnut meeting for the first time.   ::)  A grand total of 6 people at the meeting.   :(  

I'm not totally sold on the global warming idea.  There is some, but, all warming is not human related.  I've seen relic communities where trees that should be growing in warmer climates are growing in cooler climates.  I've also seen trees that should be growing in cooler climates are growing in warmer climates.  In fact, they were on 2 opposite sides of a mountain in Pennsylvania.

Other interesting facts is that 750 years ago, they were growing wheat 200 miles further north than today.  England was growing wine grapes, which almost lead to war with France.  And it all ended within a 10 year period that lead to great floods and famine throughout Europe.

In the early '70s, I saw a blurb that said 1 gallon of gasoline could lift and average sized car 7 miles, straight up.  Gas milage than was about 10-12 mpg.  

I just don't see any reason to waste fuel, just for a photo-op.  Conservation was a by-word in the '70s, when Earth day first came about.  Now, we just think we can buy our way out of things.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Frank_Pender

When Cro-Magnon Man  (modern homosapian) came out of the depths of Africa and move North and West into Europe some 15 to 20,000 years ago, he ran into a species that was not quite as advanced as himself and therefore inferior.  Those living in Europe and other places such as Eastern Europe and Asia had been living in very small clans and had been surviving quite well for over 150, years without any problems.  It all sounds so familiar.  I sometimes think that the Neanderthal could well have survived if the more  "advanced species" had not arrived on the scene. 8)
Frank Pender

Bud Man

I listen to, I think his name Is Art Bell show on radio (Early  A.M hours) Had a speaker on about a week ago that said we were due to enter an Ice Age in 2012, Go Figure  ??  If It gets cold I'll put on a coat and hat and If It gets hot I'll move to Michigan  :D
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

DanG

Good post, Jeff! 8) 8)

Reminds me of George Carlin's piece on the subject. He maintained that Man was put on the Earth, because the Earth needed plastic. When the Earth ingests enough plastic to satisfy it's appetite, POOF, we're outta here!

Scary thing is, the man thinks just like I do! :D :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodman

Ok now let's cut down some more trees my saw logs are getting low.
Jim Cripanuk

splinters

Amen to using renewable resources.  Ok   Heres another twisted thought from whats left of my mind. From 1939 to 1945 man did it's best to burn the surface of the planet. From then until the eco movement we had cooler/ wetter northern hemisphere climate. With the cleaning up of everything, by their own figures, the ecos claim an increase in warming. Is clean air=less dust and stuff=less cloud cover=warm&dry?
the opposite of so called nucular winter?

Ron Wenrich

The warmest years in North America in the last century were in the 1930s.  Those warm cycles go in 60 year or so spurts.

Volacanos put our more air pollution than does man.  Mt Pinatubo erupted in the Phillipines.  The result was a cooler than normal year.  

In 1816, there was snow in New England on July 4.  It was the year without a summer.  The theory is that there was a large volcanic eruption somewhere in the world.  It effected the weather.

Ya just never know what will happen.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!