iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chain saw stolen!

Started by oakiemac, January 14, 2006, 03:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

Not my new one that I just got from the Forum photo contest. Matter of fact it wasn't mine at all but it was the instuctors Husky 575XP while we were at the GOL training class.
We had all just went to lunch and Ken said he would stay behind and watch the saws. Well some low life, despicable, flea of a human being drove up and grapped Ken's saw off his trucks tailgate and took off before ken could run the 30 yards. He got the license plate # and called the cops but the best they could do for him was to tell him to check out a local swap market where his saw would most likely show up in a few weeks.
This kind of thing just piths me off to no end. It reconfirms why I hate big citys and in particular Detroit. The city is full of theiving low life scum bags. Thefts happen in rural areas as well but not in broad day light and within throwing distance.
That scum is awfull lucky that Ken didn't have his throwing ax handy! I saw ken throw it and I know he wouldn't miss his target.
If anyone sees a 575xp for sale real cheap-let me know it might be Ken's.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

chet

Curious as to why no follow up on the licence number by the cops.   :(    Dats Sad  >:(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Jeff

No kidding. License plate number and not even an attempt to run it down?  Pretty sad on all points.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Yeah, something don't add up. S'pose the cops nephew stole it? Maybe he'd like to donate a couple week's salary for a new one.  >:(
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

oakiemac

Cops couldn't have cared less. I think there is a minimum of 3 people being shot before the cops in Detroit will even put their donuts down.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ron Scott

Yes, that doesn't seem right. The saw should have been recovered with the license number information and witness. Maybe take the complaint to the State Police for action.
~Ron

VA-Sawyer

When I worked for an airline in Detroit, I needed to 'lock everything all the time, including my zipper!' Was glad to get away from that city.

Maybe Ken needs to carry a gun while guarding the saws.  Wonder if 'he had a lethal weapon (chainsaw) in his hands!' would work as a defense.

VA-Sawyer

isawlogs

After reading this , I am ....   well lets just say I wont put down here what I feel . I had saws taken from me that where locked up in my shop , I have no use for people like that , actualy there is but that would require a hole or some kind of depretion in the ground . Backfill . Thats all there good for .  >:(
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Skytramp

Once we had a mill set about a quarter mile back in the woods, had to go thru a guys barn lot to get to it.  someone walked in from another way and stole two chainsaws a 5000 watt Colman generator and a air compressor.  You could see the wheel tracks where they pulled the compressor.
     The Mill owners son had a pickup that had simular tire tracks ( we found where they loaded)  a foot print about that size and a drug habit, the law didn't do anything about that one either. 
     I would send that liscense #  To the local newspaper.
SkyTramp
Growing old is inevetable, Growing up is optional

isassi

There is only 1 (one) thing I admire about Muslim justice. In Saudi Arabia. for example, A thief is despised by teachings, and if caught, (as most are I understand) they are led to the public square and The right hand is severed by a sword. No jail time, no lawyers, and I would bet, no more inclination to steal. I believe strongly in our American system, but....Awhile back, I noticed that every time we parked gas fueled equipment and our dump trucks on the lot where I store my construction equipment, they were always out of gas when we next used them. One truck I was not using any longer (for conversion to a gooseneck dump) was parked and I filled the tank with brackish water from a barrel and then put just enough gas in to keep the smell good. Lo and behold, a worthless non working type (welfare case/druggie) living a block away had car trouble...I drove by and he was taking the gas tank out from under his beater truck...giving me a dirty look all the while I was grinning broadly.  :D 8)

james

old farmer i use to work for had problems with gas being stole from his two ton so he obligingly left a couple near empty 5 gal cans there for the thief the next morn the gastank was empty and the 2 gas cans were missing 20 gallons of gas from the truck 1 gal eacc from the two cans .....

1 cup sugar each from the 2 cans ;D ;D ;D ;D
james

leweee

Those plates were probably stolen too. ::) A bold New frontier in that part of the country(best be packen) :o
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

isawlogs

I had the same happen here a few years ago , some lowlife was picking up my five gallon can full of gas , he was very kiind about his takings as he would bring the can back a few days later. But would leave with a full one  >:( , this was going on for  a few weeks , off and on he took three cans .. the fourth one , I sort of rigged it . Fill it with fuel figuring that he would leave it alone   ::)  Well he took it too  ;D  And that put a stop to the lowlife coming here for gas .  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

crtreedude

Many years ago in Missouri when I was knee-high to a grasshopper my parents had a problem with someone stealing gas. My dad was off at college during the day and mom was alone, so the skunk figured he was safe. A demonstration was in order.

My dad invited him over to shoot - you know, the ole male bonding stuff. They put a clorox bottle out a couple hundred yards a commenced to fill it with holes. Mom came walking out the house with refreshments and Dad said, "Do you want to shoot some honey?" My mom said sure (and the skunk smirked) and so Dad handed her the rifle loaded, ready to shoot. Mom looks at the target and said "I think I'll take the top of the clorox bottle - and proceeded to do so with one shot at 200 yards.

Then my dear, saintly mom turned to the skunk and said,  "Someone has been stealing gas from us and one of these times I am going to see him and I suspect he is a lot bigger than that clorox top..."

The skunk didn't have a stripe any more - because he had turned completely white!  :o

The funny thing is - my mom doesn't know how to load a gun :D but she is a better shot than any of us!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

ARKANSAWYER

My guess would be that had I seen them take my saw like that when I got to the truck I would have pulled my pistol from under the seat and put some holes in someone.   Lots of hunting accidents in this country.

Logger friend of mine was loosing logs at night from the loading deck in the woods.   They were taking butt cuts so the logger went to all local mills and asked about any one selling them.  Of course no one knew any thing.   So the next day the logger pulle some nice logs up and put a bunch of 16d nails in the butts and left for the day.  Next morning the butts were missing.  Day after he heard the mill in Snow busted a blade on a bunch of nails in a log.   He lost no more logs from that site.  ;D
ARKANSAWYER

Frank_Pender

That was a cool idea, Arky.  As to the licence plate I would find someone to run the plate for me and get the sucker myself.  I am sure their hands would never pick up another saw. >:(
Frank Pender

Flyboy

>:(  If it had been my saw, I would have just reached in the cab and >:( the SOB wouldn't made it 31 yards. >:( >:(
Flyboy

A "Good Old Jack" -  DT 7500 Kubota 4X4 Farmi Winch - Norwood LM 2000 Band Mill - A Good Son, A Good Dog,

Don_Papenburg

One of our neigbors  had a problem with gas walking at night .  His hired man told him to go to the house one evening and not come out till he got there in the morning.  The next morning when the hired man arrives he asked him what he did  cause there was a hell of a racket during the night .  His hired man had wired up the gas pump to the line voltage  so any place you touched you got the real zap.  Never had a problem after that.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

oakiemac

One of the guys in our class has a CWL and had his .357 on him but he was at lunch with the rest of us. Too bad that theif didn't come just a little sooner. He would of ended up with a few extra holes in him. :)

Lenny_M

Once had this guy stealing cordwood, Finally we caught him. 8)
He was forced at gunpiont to compleatly strip of his clothing.
Then told to run out she skidder trail and not to come back this way.
A few shots into the stump pile before he went out of sight,(that guy could run really fast ,barefoot in the woods :D)
His truck was then driven down the road while the contents of his wallet glovebox and clothes were scattered over 10 miles.
His truck was then parked sideways in the road,Doors locked and engine running.
Still wonder how he got home, as he lived about 30 miles away :D :D

Havn`t had a problem sence then.

sprucebunny

Lenny, I sure hope it was blackfly season :D :D
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Texas Ranger

Send me the license number, and state, and I'll try to run it for you.  Email so no public record.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

MSU_Keith

oakiemac - where were you cutting exactly?  I took the GOL course last spring and Ken is a great instructor - couldn't have happened to nicer guy.

Both my wife and I and our parents (and some grandparents) grew up in and near the city of Detroit.  It's such a shame to see whats become of the place.  The stories of the 'old' days of nice neighborhoods with strong friendships based on good ethics and morales are long gone.  It's no wonder the place is emptying out.  Moved twice in the last 12 years - every time further away.

Texas Ranger: I'd be happy to check it out here localy if you come up with actual info on the scumbag.

isassi

You guys probably already know, but stuff that is stolen sometimes ands up in pawn shaops and something that gets my attention is paint...sprayed or overspray...and while detracting from the tool's appearance, makes ID easy. I believe I will remove the chain covers on my saws and do a little JD green...it would be impossible to clean up. If something is engraved, it is usually harder to spot. Juat a thought.  ???

Cedarman

We had a rather new skid steer stolen from our grinding site the first week of Nov.  Aaron had dropped it off so we could cut some cedars in a few days. Left it locked.  The site is an oil well pumping site where Aaron knows the crew.  Supposed to have the gate locked at the road.  Anyways, Aaron comes back to use the loader and it is gone. Crew foreman said he saw tracks a few days ago going down the road east, thought we had a close by site we were working on.  Four inches of rain kinda washed the tracks, but they were still markings because the wheeled loader had steel tracks. Aaron called the sheriff and since there was no evidence at the site, there wasn't much need to come out. Aaron called the insurance company and they said it probably headed west where stolen machines usually went. Well Aaron decided to check for tracks and maybe it was local and he could easily see where it would turn into a driveway.  So he started following the tracks.  Went about a mile and a half and they disappeared. He figured this is where they loaded it up.  He is keeping me informed as the morning progresses.Needless to say, I ain't too happy.  He calls back and says he found more tracks down the road, they had switched sides. He calls the sheriff and he sends a couple of deputies who are impressed with Aarons ability to see marks that they cant see.  After tracking for 5 1/2 miles they find where it was pulled into a field and hid behind some big round bales for a few days.  They could see where it had come back out onto the road and went in the direction they had come from.  Again they thought it had been loaded up and moved.  But Aaron thought, hmmm, maybe they went that way to get the mud off and turned around. Sure enough he found a scrape mark on a bridge crossing and a few hundred yards down the road could see where it pulled in a driveway.  The deputies said,this is where some known thieves live.  They got permission to search from an old lady living at the home. Found it in the back end of the place.  They left a guard and went and got all the paperwork they needed and did CSI thing with fingerprints, boot print plaster casts and the whole nine yards.  Aaron was able to take the loader home that evening. A day later they got a warrant to seach the house and found the boots that matched the bootprints.  They got the guy, but I don't know how it is going as far as jail time.

Glad Aaron and I spent some time in the woods tracking deer.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!