iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any Jeep Wrangler owners out here?

Started by oakiemac, September 18, 2011, 10:07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I'm considering buying a 2002 Wrangler, 4cyclinder,4x4, soft top. I want something good in the snow and fun to drive. I have never owned a Jeep so my question is about wind noise and cold air coming into the vehicle during the cold months. I'm not sure if that soft top will be enough to keep the elements out when its 10 degrees, blowing and snowing.
Anyone owned one of these with the soft top?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

sawwood

Oakiemac I worked at a jeep Dealer for some time and the soft tops will not keep
any of the weather out. Also they are noise and the platic windows yellow over time.
I would look for a hard top and a 4lt 6cylinder engine, the 4 cyl don't last as long and
the 6cyl has more lowend torque. Thats what you need for off roading. Also don't
buy one that has been raised up as the steering is unstable and the drive shaft ujoints
wear out due to the odd angle. Jeep Wrangler are great for off roading and town driving.
If you need to haul any thing they are not, a Jeep Cherokee would be better, good off
road and can haul liots of stuff. Just be sure to git a 6cyl engine.

Sawwood
Norwood M4 manual mill, Solar Kiln, Woodmaster
18" planer/molder

Coon

I would be lookin for a hardtop for the winter months.... I had a softtop jeep that I drove in the winter and it wasn't much fun when it came to major snowfalls and wind.  Chunks of ice flying off vehicles on the highway are dangerous enough and being in a vehicle with a soft top you may as well be laying in the middle of the highway during peak traffic. I sold that Jeep for a new Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x4 w/ 4L 6cyl.... great vehicle and go nearly anywhere.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

chevytaHOE5674

My sister in law drives one and the hard top is a must for the winter. Even then it is still cold and noisy compared to other vehicles. Also with its super short wheelbase and light weight it isn't that great in the snow. It doesn't want to stay stuck to the road for nothing and running in 4x4 was almost an absolute must to get anyplace. Personally I hated driving it in the UP winters and would never want to do it again if at all possible.

oakiemac

yeah, I was really wondering about the soft top. The salesman told me he has owned several soft tops in the winter and they are no problem. Guess I'll keep looking until I find a hardtop or something completely different.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Patty

No Wrangler, but I have the cutest little Jeep Willy you ever laid eyes on!!

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

oakiemac

shelbycharger400

id dissagree on the post about the 4 cylinder.
the 2.4 is a good engine,     id take the 2.4, which is way easier to work on, and everything else in under the hood than with the 6 cyl.
soft top....BAD!

i have delt with enough driveline issues/ and the wines from the customers about differential noises, ect, ect.  i grew tired of it and left the dealership in 2005.    so, yep... same noises for, who knows how many years back, same thing . Deal with it.

The motto was,  Its a Jeep thing , you wouldn't understand
I understood well enough... Jeep owners.. ...  :D

stumpy

My wife has owned 7. It's all she will drive now cause of the soft top in the summer.  She can easily flip half the roof open.  We put a hardtop on in the winter.  The new soft tops are better than years ago, but they are still noisy and cold. She has a 2007 now and is thinking about selling it and move up to a 2010.  Why ???.... cause she wants a new color ::)  (that's OK, I think she'll change her mind when she sees the price) :o
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Qweaver

I have a 2002 with the six cylinder.  We usually use it to tow the LT28 when we go on a portable saw job.  I towed a pretty heavy (4500lb) trailer with surge brakes from Texas to WV and it did fine.  I do like the soft top in the summer and I think it would be tolerable in the winter but we put the hardtop on since we have one.  We love our jeep.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

tyb525

If you get a Jeep with a 6, the older inline engine is much better than the newer v6.

If I got a Wrangler, I'd put a 3.9L 4cyl cummins in it, it's a pretty popular and successful swap I've heard ;D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Rocky_Ranger

I drive a 95 Jeep Wrangler soft top and love it.  Drove it in Colorado all winter; the thing about Jeeps, this one has the best heater in it I ever seen in a vehicle.  Wind noise is a problem, but only 45 mph and higher.  Can't run much faster in the winter anyway.  Leadville snows +/- 200 inches/year didn't bother me at all.  Use a block heater and you're ready to go.  Used my Jeep to go skiing all winter - just wasn't a problem in snow and cold.  Had a 4-cylinder too. Had it since 1996, 140,000 miles and still truckin'. 8)
RETIRED!

Piston

I'm in the same boat as you, I've been looking at jeeps for a while now, and the point about not being able to carry too much is a good one, however if you go to a Cherokee, then you give up the fun factor, as they are just another 4x4.  The advantage of the wrangler is obviously the fun of driving it. 
I was wondering if you guys with wranglers (or older jeeps) use them for snow plowing?  If so how do they do for driveways?  I'm sure they are maneuverable as can be and I imagine good at plowing with the low range 4x4.  Only issue I can see is not enough weight, but I imagine you could add some weight if needed?
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Rocky_Ranger

My neighbor across the street from me had a Wrangler with a plow and he plowed driveways all the time.  Our snow was pretty fluffy though, might have something to do with it.  If I had a choice of a Cherokee or a Wrangler I wouldn't even get in a Cherokee - take the top off a Wrangler for the summer and even going to the store to get a jug of milk is fun...... 
RETIRED!

Thank You Sponsors!