iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaw M-14 Restore

Started by Dave303223, August 04, 2015, 05:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave303223

All done except the leveling on site and how to adapt to my PTO??

Anyone have the setup or did you make it?  Saw shaft is 1.75" keyed and tractor is standard PTO.  I've been unable to find the adaptor anywhere.

These Are My Mountains

loggah

Im pretty sure you could get the driveshaft and the 1.75" yoke at a tractor supply. Two of the Belsaws i have had both were tractor P.T.O. driven. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Kbeitz

Could you use something like this ?

(ebay ad deleted by Admin, please refer to forum rules about posting such ads)
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

bandmiller2

Welcome Dave, I believe the original shaft Belsaw sold had a shear bolt to protect the arbor and PTO. I would be nervous without a weak link somewhere in the drive line. Myself I would look for the slip clutch used on big brush hog mower. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Dave303223

Thanks for the reply's, Frank I have a slip clutch on the tractor PTO but getting my shaft to the round 1.75 is the problem.  The one Kbeitz shows the closest I have found at ANY supply place Tractor or other wise. But its splined and the shaft is smooth round with a keyway.  I know I may be missing a simple fix....

I may have to machine it out.....
These Are My Mountains

BUGGUTZ

Mine has a collar welded to the universal. The shear bolt goes thru.
Everyone has to be somewhere.

Possum Creek

I ordered one, a 35 series 1 3/4" round bore with 3/8" key way is what size mine was. They are hard to find off the shelf around here.           PC

bandmiller2

Dave if bad comes to worse you could use a "U" joint with a flange and bolt it to a 1 3/4" bore sprocket on the arbor shaft. The proper stuff is available but just not by any small jerkwater supplier. 1 3/4" is not a common size for shafting. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Remle

Dave
You might find a slip clutch/ pto shaft from an old hay baler or some such piece of farm equipment with the required shaft size. That would get you every thing you need..

Dave303223

Thanks, just have to keep looking I guess.,....it has to be out there somewhere! lol.

These Are My Mountains

Dave303223

Think I found one with PTO shaft!  Out of CA.

Let you guys know how it looks next week.
These Are My Mountains

snowshoveler

Hello
I have a much older Belsaw that was PTO from a tractor. I didn't get that setup when I got the mill and I have it hooked to a big old Cat to run it. The folks here helped me quite a bit to switch it over to V belt drive. Much better sawing now, although I need to change my feed speed a bit.
You have done a nice job on your mill and should be proud of it. I would like to see more pictures of it if you have time...please.
Regards Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

Dave303223

Thanks Chris, I have it up at my cabin site now and hope to have the area ready and level by the end of the month.  Work seems to get in the way of all my fun!  I busted a cylinder on my bucket tilt when I was working the site and won't have a new one till Friday........they don't call it the "Rockies" for nothin'  :o

I'll get more pics when I have it set and the blade on.

Dave
These Are My Mountains

Joe Lallande

Dave, I had to same problem when I went from the old flat belt to a drive shaft.  I ordered a spline from Surplus Outlet and had a local machine shop weld the spline to an adapter they made with a key way. Check out the pictures in my gallery.  Good luck.

Thank You Sponsors!