iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Big electric motor help

Started by shinnlinger, September 19, 2014, 05:13:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

Contactors are made to be cleaned and rebuilt so you shouldn't have to drill anything. They tend to be simple, don't force anything, but like most things there is an order that everything comes apart. Most of the time you remove some outer screws and the rest of the dismantling is done by sliding one piece out of another.  If there is rust in the unit you need to dismantle, sand and reassemble.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Al_Smith

You can get rust even inside of an industrial enviroment in a heated building .At work I used to thump them with the handle of a screw driver to shut them up .

jcbrotz

Take out the 2 screws on the top and you will be able to see the contacts, and that red piece above the coil isn't supposed to be there so your fix maybe pretty easy there may be more of them red pieces of what looks to be insulation.
2004 woodmizer lt40hd 33hp kubota, Cat 262B skidsteer and way to many tractors to list. www.Brotzmanswoodworks.com and www.Brotzmanscenturyfarm.com

shinnlinger

Another FF success story!   Cleaned up the switch, which actually didn't look too bad, and removed the bits of insulation that I probably dropped sticking the wire in and now it purrs like a sewing machine.   

Next q is how do I lube it or what next to look for?   I see a drain plug on the motor but no fill.   

Thanks folks!

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Al_Smith

Drain plug ??? A lot of times the end bells for motors are universal in the fact they might have greaseable bearings or they might use sealed bearing .More times than not if it just has a plug it's a sealed bearing .If you pull the plug and don't see any grease it's more than likely sealed .

hackberry jake

Pull the plug, put a grease zerk in the hole, put one shot of grease per motor hp, remove zerk and run motor for five minutes to expel any excess grease, reinstall plug.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

shinnlinger

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Dave Shepard

You can look up how much grease, in grams, at most motor manufacturers. It's better to not grease at all than to over grease. If there is a zerk in the top of the housing and a plug at the bottom, you can remove the plug and flush the bearing.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!