iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone have issues with their Stihl MS-250

Started by weimedog, November 16, 2008, 10:34:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Marcel
I'd not heard of the elastostart before. Thanks, and will be checking into it.
But so far, I'm able to drop start the saw, no problem. But sometimes the handle rips outta the fingers, and this elastostart might ease that a bit.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

isawlogs

I have one on the 046, 036 and one on one of the 034's .. there is a big difference in the starting of the saws . Well on the hand holding the starter handle anyways .  ;)

The elastostart .. I aint sure of the speling here ( as usual )  ;) ... the handle has like a bungie cord effect when starting , any kick back is absorbed through the bungy
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

beenthere

Marcel
Your spelling is right. It pops up on the Stihl site. I'll be checking into it. Thanks!!
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Rocky_J

Stihl has a couple different models of the elastostart, the biggest difference is the rope diameter. So just pick the one that matches up to approximately the same size saw.

SawTroll

Quote from: Rocky_J on November 26, 2008, 03:44:38 PM
Stihl has a couple different models of the elastostart, the biggest difference is the rope diameter. So just pick the one that matches up to approximately the same size saw.

Yes, my FS200 one have a much smaller handle and thinner rope than my MS361 one.   
Information collector.

isawlogs

Beenthere ,
   You wont regret getting one ,  ;)  I dont know what they sell for , but I do know I love them on the saws that I have them on . I really dont know why I dont have it on all of my saws .  ::) :D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

rocksnstumps

My thoughts on the MS-250. I do like the size and weight, isn't bad for cutting stuff under 16". Mines a little finicky to start when it's cold out. I take it off full choke if I have to do more than 3-4 pulls otherwise it seems like it floods. Once it starts for the first time that day, it's fine. Get rid of the "green" safety chain and ask for the standard version "yellow" link. Not a fan of the new gas caps. I've busted a gas cap once and last time out had to start using the scrench to make sure the bottom half of oil cap turned far enough since the part with the flip up handle turned ok but than the cap fell out when flipping saw back upright. The cost of replacement caps are pretty reasonable anyway. Like $6-7 from dealer. I rarely run saws when it's warm out, cutting wood is a cold weather endeavor for me, so maybe that's why it's not the best to start. It does bog down some when getting into bigger oak or what I consider medium sized ironwood - 12" or so. For that I get out the old 041-AV. But that sucker is heavy to do much limbing with.

pwa

I have a 025 for about 8 years now. I like it for small stuff and cut well with really sharp chain. But standing there bending to cut big stuff is really doing a number on my back after awhile. I 'm keeping this saw but still get something that I dont have to stand there bending so long, maybe a 310,390. The 360 i$ way up there. any thoughts anyone.

routestep

I like the MS250. Its pretty light and does a good job around the place. I think the biggest tree I've taken down was 18 inches or so. I have an 18 inch bar. I've sawn up some bigger windthrown, but tend to get a curving cut if the chain is dull. It is hard to start in cold weather so I keep it inside and feed it 92 or 93 octane.

The pull chord broke on a Friday afternoon recently when I was going to do some cutting. Changing the chord was a bit harder than I thought it would be because of that coiled spring in there. The directions in the booklet were pretty minimal. I ended up making a spring holder-winder out of some bits of plywood and things. I've never had to work on the saw before in the six years that I've had it.

nmurph

my brother has a 025 that has had the dog-sqeezins run out of it. he finally had to rebuild the carb last summer. other than that, it's been gas-n-go. it's not the most powerfull, but it does a nice job and is as reliable as gravity. as for the hard-to-start comments, it has always started well. i have many, many hours on it. it's fairly typical of stihls when it is cold: several pulls on choke, until it pops and then move it to fast idle for a pull or two. maybe our idea of cold-weather (20 degs is cooooooollllllllDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!) is a little different than some of you who have this for daytime highs.

Ax- man

I might as well get in on this thread. Since I have four of them ;D. They are good little saws that are reliable to start and run good.  The 025's do all of our dirty work like ditch work and brush clearing. They take alot of abuse and hold up good for being a so called homeowner saw.

What I like about them is the parts interchangeability. I pick them up at saw shops that have taken them in for trades. There are usually two things wrong with them. The piston is toast or the saw was run with the chain brake engaged and the case is  melted around the clutch.  Just tear them down and find donor parts from other saws and you have yourself an 025 that runs which is how I got most of mine.

Larry

weimedog

Interesting enough if "ebay" resale prices on used MS250's are an indication of their reliability and value..they must be a good saw.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Weekend_Sawyer

I have had my MS210 for around 4 years. It's a nice little saw, I had to get used to using such a small saw.  I use it to cut up slabs and take it with me into the woods to clear blowdowns. It does it's job well. I did have to replace the handle bushing on one side of the engine, it got oily and the cap poped off, it's just a pop in place thing, should have been secured with a screw.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Thank You Sponsors!