iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Questions Related to our Business/Etc - urban trees, black walnut 'release' etc

Started by rjgoebel, July 11, 2017, 04:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rjgoebel

Thanks in advance!

I've developed quite an interest in forestry, specifically the idea of either obtaining timberland and harvesting trees over time, and/or using our current business to cultivate the high value trees/timber with the outlook of eventually harvesting the trees from an urban environment.  We're operating out of the Des Moines IA area and active in the business of rehabbing homes and operating rentals.  We are at that point where we have enough volume that it keeps us busy, but doesn't fully replace my engineering salary yet, from an income perspective.  I highly value being  my own boss, though.  Anyways, the questions I have below are many of what I've thought of and what we're dealing with right now:

• We've got 2 black walnuts in our current home's backyard.  This backyard backs up to a creek, so these are black walnuts growing on the south side of a creek, on a slope, with the main trunks on both being currently in the 16"dbh-19"dbh range.  Decent height on both (probably about 16') before the main 'branch.'  I just got my bucket truck set up about a month ago and 'released' the trees from competition, except for one large cottonwood.  In both cases currently, my guess is that the trees have complete / free access to light about 70% of the day and about 50% access to light the remaining 30% time of day.  The cottonwood is probably about 45"dbh and dominant.  I'm not completely opposed to killing the cottonwood but would like to hear thoughts on the impacts of a 'full release' where these walnuts will have 100% access to south facing sunlight 24/7, impact on their growth rate of current setup.  If the cotton wood is left to keep growing, it may overtake them entirely.
  • On the same subject above (2 black walnuts in backyard), I'm wondering about general thoughts on growth rates when next to creeks, etc.  I'm 34 years old and we have plenty of time but am hoping to achieve optimal time to harvest these trees by the time I'm 60...
  • The black walnut located more to the east, when looking at the lower leaves/branches, there appears to be some spots located on these leaves.  It appeared to be a 100% healthy tree, I'm just wondering if anyone has had any experience with releasing a tree - my theory is that the tree now that is has more access to sunlight UP, is reallocating its resources and essentially squeezing the bottoms branches/leaves so as to stimulate upward growth.  I just don't know how quickly a tree responds to changing environmental conditions.

OntarioAl

pictures would be nice
They will probably trigger a response from those in the know about Black Walnut
cheers
Al
Al Raman

Hans1

I would leave the cotton wood to much sun will lead to epicormic branching,and the cottonwood will provide some protection from lightening .

Thank You Sponsors!