iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS271 Stihl bar upgrade question

Started by wm_son, February 17, 2020, 08:22:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wm_son

Greets,  I purchased my MS271 6 years ago and love it.  I have since been taking on some mammoth logs (tabletop projects) where the 20" bar is not cutting it.

I thought, well, perhaps I can just buy a 25" bar and use it sparingly to give the ol' 271 additional range.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

lxskllr

I think 25" would be far too big for that saw. I had one on my 362, and I thought that was on the edge of usefulness. 

Welcome to the forum!

doc henderson

it will give you range but as you stated you may have to use it when needed.  I have one on my 046 and it is well balanced.  do not let the saw bog, and or get stuck and push it.  nice to limb stuff without bending over as much.  will depend on the wood you are cutting.  softwood vs hard, fresh vs dry ect.  might check the biggest head you get in that bar mount in case you want to upgrade later.  I assume this is for bucking, and not slabbing the log.  you might also look at a bigger saw.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

what kind of wood, what does "mammoth log" mean to you?  hate to see you ruin your 271.  welcome.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Pine Ridge

Too much bar for practical use on that saw, may not oil enough for a 25" bar either. 
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

Al_Smith

I had to look up the specs .That little thing is only 50 cc .It might pull a 24-25 inch buried with a sharp chain but it wouldn't like it .

wm_son

Wow, great replies, thanks all.  Mammoth is hardwood (walnut, maple, oak), 4' dia; and yes bucking only.  I like the limbing advantage comment also and respect all the cautiousness of over bearing on the 50cc, lack of oil to the bar and not letting her bog.

I don't get many of these 4 footers, but if these tabletops prove profitable (epoxy finishes with rivers and canyons imbedded), I could find myself needing the 25" bar.  Actually, I'm not planning on selling them, but could give them away as gifts.  I'm a ways out from finishing one due to a project heavy agenda, but when I do, I'll submit a pic.

I'm sure you guys have seen some of the youtubes on epoxied raw edged pieces.  Some real beauties; I will soon (end of summer I'm hoping) learn if those finishes are for real or not.  

doc henderson

here is a massive gi-hugic cottonwood almost 5 feet in diameter.  had to go light with a 5 foot bar, full chisel chain and a 880 power head.  worked it hard and have since bought a skip tooth chain.  even called my 880 a "dog"  no offense to dogs everywhere.  I was nearly exceeding the power of the saw.

so you will make cookie tables or slabs with a river down the center?  to quote the sheriff in Jaws, "I think you are going to need a bigger saw!"

sawguy21

Welcome. One thing to consider is the type of bar you would need. 20" is the longest you will find in a laminated .325 bar, you would require a solid bar then change the tip to accept your chain. In short, you need more saw to do what you want especially in hardwood.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Pine Ridge

If you had a 461 or 462 stihl with a 25" bar you could use it on the big stuff, and save your 271 for the smaller stuff. And your 271 will thank you for it in the long run !!!!
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

wm_son

10-4 all.  Going to start saving for a big one.  Nice pic of you manhandling that cottonwood!

And yeah, Jaws, Sheriff Brody, rode my bike to see that movie back in '75; brother and I always stopped at the A&P first to get their frozen milkshake.  We were in 36" waist Toughskins by the 5th grade.

doc henderson

It is a funny story.  went to get that log for trailer flooring.  a hydraulic hose sprung a leak just after getting my cat 277c off the trailer and it would not budge.  went to a coop to get 10 gallons of hydraulic fluid to see if I could get it up on the trailer ...moved 3 feet and dead in the water again and 60 bucks poorer.  had to have cat go pick it up.  not a fun day, that tree is still setting beside the pond at camp Kanza.  i can not remember the cost, i think I am blocking it a a bad memory.   :( :( :( >:( >:( >:( :) :) :) :D :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!