iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lenox Chipsweep blade?

Started by Celeriac, October 08, 2011, 09:37:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celeriac

Yesterday I picked up some Lenox literature from a local distributor. One of the offerings is the Chipsweep blade which they tout for dry and/or frozen wood, and for helping eliminate dust left on the lumber.

A forum search did not yield any results. Is this a new profile? Any experience ???

Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Chuck White

Never saw a blade with a tooth profile like that.

I would think that the profile would give those of us who sharpen our own blades a problem.

You'd probably be locked in to one of the many resharp businesses.

I do like the idea of cleaning off the sawdust though.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

hackberry jake

I used to work for a sawmill that had a run-around resaw. It took 2" blades and never came out of wood. The squares were ran around and went through the head end-to-end. Thay had an air hose running right behind the band and the boards were sawdust free. I've contemplated trying that with my mill, but would be harder to do.since my head moves 22" back and fourth.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tommone

I've seen this shape on wide bandsaws used in major European mills. it is known as a "frost notch" obviously for frozen wood. Probably need complicated cam to resharpen it
but all things are possible!!.tom.

LeeB

Looks to me like it would be pre disposed to early breakage due to the sharp angle at the top of the tooth. Good place for a crack to start. I guess if it is a through away, single use blade it wouldn't matter.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Celeriac

I expect Lenox views it as a throw away. It's priced about the same as their Woodmaster C. As for sharpening, I don't see where a cam type grinder could grind that profile.  However, I was thinking that it wouldn't be too difficult with a chainsaw type sharpener, such as the one that came with the Kasco mill.

I expect I'll order a couple to try out.
Currently learning the ins and outs of a Mobile Dimension 128.
"What's that?"
"My sawmill."
"Looks like a VW ran into an antenna tower!"

Thank You Sponsors!