iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New wood stove

Started by Bill Gaiche, January 31, 2013, 10:01:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

It gets a little to cold down in the shop this time of year to do much of anything. So today I decided it was time to make a change and built me a new stove. Tomorrow I will put in service to see how it does. bg

DanG

The pic didn't show up, Bill. ???
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Bill Gaiche

How about now. I got the cart before the horse when I posted it. bg

DanG

Mo' betta.  That's a DanG nice stove.  You'll prolly hafta open a winder now.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

beenthere

Looks great, and clean workmanship.

Really neat artsy graphics above the loading door.  ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Good job on the welding.  ;D  May want to put a few pieces of 3/8 by whatever long on that door so it don't warp so bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doctorb

I am very impressed and humbled.  I have no knowledge or skill to build that.  Nice job.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Bill Gaiche

You are probably right about adding some metal across the door. I started to but thought I would try it first and if needed I will add some. Thanks for the comments guys. bg

Bill Gaiche

Beenthere, a little welders helper (paint) will cover up all that messy stuff. bg

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I like the grain in the steel.  ;D

Good job. Get it smoking. Lots of cold days left.  smiley_thumbsup
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Hilltop366

Nice job, It will be nice to get some heat in the workshop.

I hate to break it to ya but that stick is never going to hold up the grate once you start a fire in there! ;D

drobertson

Nicely done Bill, nothing like some good ole wood heat in a shop for sure,  I have built many wood stoves back in my early days,  they were a popular design, the only real difference was on the door opening, we went a bit shorter top to bottom, this allowed room for a diverter shelf above the door, this helps keep the smoke from flowing out to quick,  hopefully you won't have this problem,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

thecfarm

A piece of metal will fix it up just fine.
Bill I hate to disagree with you,but paint won't make my welding look better.  :D I do Ok.I just never had someone really teach me and seems like I'm always working with metal that is rusted too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Nice big door but you may want to put a flapper inside over the top .Reason being when you stoke it it will blow a lot of smoke back at you .

I had to do that on a down drafter I built years ago but after the fact it was already in the house .

That thing has enough surface area it should put out the heat .

thecfarm

I was just thinking,one of my friends has an All Nighter with fire bricks along the sides and back. Has a peice of angle iron that the bricks go under. I helped him replace them many years ago.

Al_Smith

I have a Lopi glass front that also has bricked sides .

When I built the down drafter I bricked the bottom of the Vee where the fire goes through the coals and the other side was the angled grates the air goes through .The brick side theoretically would have been the hottest .The pot licker still got hot enough to made the sides red if you didn't watch it .I think if I would have stood one layer of brick along the side above the vee that probabley would have worked better .My oh my did that stove put out the heat .

Now on that door being on the draft side away from the flue I'm not so sure it would warp or not .

r.man

Nice stove Bill. Better than factory.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

lowpolyjoe

Beauty!   What kind of welder you use? 

dave_dj1

Looks nice but a couple of things I would do, weld some 1" flat stock around inside the door opening to help keep it straight and then do the same with the door so that it fits inside of the opening.
Then maybe you could use some rope gasket to help seal it off.
Let us know how it works.

Bill Gaiche

Today  Built a fire in it. Sure enough it smokes out the front top. Added 6 1/2" of metal across the top to make the opening smaller. It did help a lot but still have a little. When it gets some ashes to hold some hot coals I believe it will help.The opening is 19" wide x 10" tall now. I don't plan on using any brick in it because it is just for the shop. Brick may help but don't know how much. I am not sure what a smoke deflector would look like. Maybe you could help me out on that. You were right about the wood that I used to hold up the grates didn't last long. Good thing I put some weld on them. I use a Hobart 200amp gas welder. Plan on getting some kind of small fan to put above and behind the stove to push some of that heat around. The door did warp a little but the latch pulls it shut just fine. Thanks for your input, it always helps for the experienced to share there wealth of knowledge. bg

drobertson

bill, I don't think you need the grates, just my opinion.  My main concern was the deflector above the door.  the seals are a good idea but not that critical if you have a good draw.  the heat can cause some warp on the doors but a controlled burn can reduce this.  Angle Iron tacked in to fit bricks would help but here again, not completely necessary.  As far as I can tell, I would add a 1/8" deflector just above your door opening, going in about 4" or so at a slight angle up, for the length of the opening.  Tack it in and try it. It can always be removed if not welded to much pretty easily, I think you will like it and leave it.  Or just add some stock to the opening, reducing the opening, keeping the diverter, and try that,  air, and smoke moves around and tries to find the least resistance.  This might be what is happening.  All said, warm is better than cold in the winter, aye? david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

CTYank

Might want to weld some angle clips around the inner sides, to hold 1" firebrick. High combustion temps -> more complete combustion, and much longer lasting steel.

In a similar vein, preheated air discharge ABOVE the fire, like on an angled baffle, would turn much more of the fuel into heat output. Below the fire, not so much.

Purely trying to be helpful. MIG?
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

rooster 58

When I built my stove, I stood 1 1/2" firebrick up around the perimeter of the box. Then I placed 2-3 in" of sand in the bottom, followed by 1 1/2" fire brick floor on top of sand. I got lucky because the bricks really didn't need cut much. Been using this stove for years, first as my camp, and now my home. The bricks never moved or cracked, even without retainers or anything to hold them.

That's an awesome looking stove by the way 8)

thecfarm

I've been in a few garages where a box fan was used to move the heat. Might be $15 now? May have a hard time finding one this time of year. They will move some air.We had a green house for a few years and used them to move the air around. They was cheap. We brought 4 of them. I told the wife they won't last long. Once we turned them on they were on until we closed. Just about on from Feb to June. We still have them! We used them for 3 seasons.Looks like you used all new metal. Do you know about how much it all cost? I might build one too.  ;D  When I get to it.  ::)

drobertson

Bill I wanted to post a pic last night of my deflector but I had a hot fire going at the time, here is a shot of how mine is, inside and above the opening, the length of the door opening. 

Thank You Sponsors!