iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with tree ID and cause of death please

Started by Larry in OK, March 02, 2023, 07:25:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry in OK

Double question here, trying to ID the species mostly for my own gratification and education and ID what killed it.
I intend to make some lumber out of it with my chainsaw mill.

Located in NE Oklahoma.
Tree is in the red oak family. I think it is (was?) Black Oak. I split some of it for firewood use. Straight grained but a little stringy coming off the splitter.
It was in a area with quite a few other oak species so finding a leaf that I could say with any certainty came off this tree was a no go.

Small-ish tree about 24" at the butt at ground level tapering to about 14" at about 12'. It started shedding it's bark over the winter. I suspect from internet searching that it was afflicted with hypoxylon canker. I've had a number of oaks on my property die from this ailment, but it's been 8-10 years since I have seen it here. I walk or drive by this tree usually several times a week in the Summer and hadn't noticed any issues with it prior to noticing the bark dropping off a couple of months ago.

Thanks

LeeB

Looks like hypoxylon canker was the final culprit in it's death spiral. 
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

SwampDonkey

Never knew that kind of canker was prevalent in red oak. Up here it hits the aspens, especially trembling. I salvage at lot for firewood, but usually as soon as it dies. Anything dead for a year or more turns to punk. The lot across from mine is a total mess with 80% of the aspens all killed off and they are 30'ish years old. Second growth aspen suckered growth is vulnerable I have concluded.

If you need some firewood, your all set. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Larry in OK

Thanks for the replies folk.
Managed to get some boards sawn out of it. 

justchips

i seen some persimmon that kinda looked like that firewood. it had a bad smell to it, for wood.

Thank You Sponsors!