iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade selection

Started by Chuck White, April 19, 2010, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chuck White

What is the best 1.25" Wood-Mizer band for sawing White Spruce on an LT40 with a 24hp motor?

Using the 10° band with 22-24 set ain't working very well, I get wavy lumber.
Even with a fresh band.  Running fast or slow.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

coastlogger

Have you tried more set?Like 28 or 30?
clgr
clgr

pnyberg

I'm currently cutting spruce for a customer, and having some problems with wavy cuts as well.  I'm using new DoubleHard 1.25" 9° blades.  I don't have a setter, so the set is whatever they put in at the WM factory.

I think being generous with the lube helps.  I'm using water with a cup of Pine-Sol per 5 gallons.  I'm also learning to pay closer attention to the tension gauge.

The thought had gone through my head that maybe I should try 10° blades instead, but I guess that wouldn't help.  :)

--Peter
No longer milling

John_Haylow

Chuck, I have been using the 7* blades with very good results
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

woodmills1

spruce bad :D hard :o to   havent done well yet unless new 7 degree  :D ;D 8) knots to hard
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

ladylake

Less hook, more set.     Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

Had a major problem with Norway spruce and got some 7 * blades , .055 1-1/4 had set of .028 to .030.from WM.
worked better but still had some wavy lumber.
Logs were 20" plus.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sgschwend

I love cutting spruce, it is my most favorite wood.  However, it is Sitka Spruce here. 

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_1/vol1_Table_of_contents.htm

Good reference, I am guess you are not cutting white spruce unless you are in Alaska or Canada.

Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

Chuck White

Well, we're not in Canada, but almost!
We're about 35 miles from Canada in the upper-most part of New York.
There is a lot of White Spruce here, and the best of it was hand-planted in the 30's & 40's.
There are some scattered wild White Spruce, here and there.

Looks like I need a 7° blade to make a decent cut, I think I'll stick with the 1¼x.045-158 WM blade on the LT40.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!