iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS-510

Started by Old_Town, August 03, 2004, 10:04:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old_Town

Hello,
I ran an Echo CS-510 last weekend and it was a really nice saw. It was smooth, easy to start and powerful. Does anyone have any experience with these saws? Thanks in advance.

Ty

DanManofStihl

I hear echo makes a pretty good saw I have run one of the little echo  bucket saws it ran well and got the job done just fine. I would not mind owning one but they are pricey compared to stihl and husky.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

Rocky_J

Dan,
You claim that Echo is pricey compared to Stihl and Husky. Could you be more specific please? Do you have specific models in mind, and are they comperable? I'm not sure I agree but want to give you plenty of opportunity to explain your position.  :)

DanManofStihl

The price of Model CS440-18" is $329.95 for that saw  at homedepot it is 44 cc the stihl ms 290 is 59 cc and is only $299.95 with a 18 inch bar at my local stihl dealer and and a husky model 350 with a 50 cc engine and a 18 inch bar is 299.00 at lowes. So I think it pricy compared to them with engince size and price.
Two Things in life to be proud of a good wife and a good saw.

rahtreelimbs

I recently bought an Echo CS-510 that was never used. I dual-ported the muffler right away. I can't speak of the saws performance with a stock muffler. With the muffler dual-ported it is a different matter. This is one very well performing saw, very fast and good low-end. As far as I am concerned you can't go wrong with any Echo product!!!
Nothing Like A  Modded Saw To Start Your Day!!![/SIZE]               Later, Rich.

ladylake

I bought a brand new cs 510 off Ebay for $225. It's smooth, easy handling, great power for 50cc.  Rated at 3.82HP!!. Also have a 044 Stihl, but the Echo ends up in my hands except for the really big stuff.
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Striker

You might want to compare pro saws by Stihl  and Husky price wise. I'm a thinking that all  Echo saws are considered pro saws. But then again I might be wrong about that.

Jeff

DanG

I won't get into who's saw is better, but EVERY logger that has seen my Echo CS-670 cut has asked where they can get one. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Clockwork

dont know about the 510 but have experience with the 550. dad got 3 old 550s in an auction along with some other logging stuff. 1 runner, one a runner but for a dead ignition(later fixed and given to me) and one parts saw. they seem to have good power. i had lots of trouble with tuning but probably due to it being old and dirty carb. the one thing ive noticed is that these had lots of problems with the ignition module. dads saw is on it's third one and they are very pricey. his saw is still running great but i burnt mine up(probably my fault) and he used the ignition off of it. not sure how similar the 510 is to the 550evl but im just putting it out there.

just the other day he bought a new little echo CS305 for his dad whos old jonsered 361 was too hard to pull. i noted that the tag said that the motor (and all other echo motors) was guaranteed for 300 hours of heavy duty commercial use. this surprised me because even his 024 says for occasional light duty use only and so do Husky 55s. 300 chainsaw hours is alot. -ryan
Husqvarna 61
Echo 550EVL
Homelite ZIP

Chris J

Hi, Old Town. Hope you're getting cooler weather than we're getting near the coast.

I do a lot of saw price watching & can say that one nice thing about Echos is they can be purchased new for a lot less than retail, if you shop carefully (the eBay deal that LL got sounds great).  That is if dealer support isn't a big part of your decision.  And from what I've read, with proper maintenance, mix, & a sharp chain, they're very reliable saws.  The only knock that I've read on the bigger Echos is they don't match some of the same size saws in power.  You'd need to determine if surrendering a little power is worth it for an affordable saw with a solid reputation for reliablity.
Certified Amateur Chainsaw Tinkerer.  If sucess is built on failure, then one day I'll live on the top of Mt. Everest.

Old_Town

Thanks Nada,
I bought a CS-305 last week at a pawn shop for $111 out the door. This saw had fuel and bar oil in it but I dont think it was ever run. I took it home drained the tank and refilled it with my mix and it started on the second pull. I limbed out a big white oak with it Saturday and I was very impressed. This little saw has ample power, is very fuel efficient and easy to run. I think I will be grabbing this little saw more and more over my Stihl 011.

Good Luck,
T

PS it is raining like hell here in NE Texas!!!!

Thank You Sponsors!