iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade tracking issues

Started by Bruno of NH, June 02, 2018, 04:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I have a Thomas bandmill
I have been fighting blade tracking issues.
You make a 6ft pass and it throws a band.
The tracking is set a Thomas so there are no instructions on setting it.
I'm to busy for this problem right now.
I checked all the band wheel bearings and they all seem nice and tight.
Any help would be appreciated. 

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Joed

Bruno
I don't know what Thomas mills have, but my mill will throw bands when the belts on the 19 inch wheels are worn down to much. I replace them and bands are fine.
Just my 2 cents.
Valley Big Green Monster

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Southside

Bruno, were the belts off brand type or high end? I went the flebay cheap belt route once, had the same issue throwing bands. Replaced them with industrial belts and solved the problem. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Southside
The new belts are better quality than the ones I had ran before

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Is there no way at all to adjust the tilt of the idle wheel?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bruno of NH

I have adjusted it
It tracks perfect when You spin it by hand.
Then you start cutting and make 3/4 of the length of the cut and it comes off

Den-Den

Tracking adjustments should be very small once it tracks OK when spun by hand.  The blade should run barely touching the guides (or not touching them but very close) when spinning under power but not cutting.  Try it under power without cutting and see if it drifts in either direction.  If it starts moving, make a SMALL adjustment and try it again.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Southside

Just thinking outside of the box here, have you eliminated the fact it's a bad band and tried a brand new one?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ladylake

Look for broken or stripped head mounting bolts or a broken frame or something broke in the tensioner  , seems like something is moving when your sawing.  It doesn't take much slop in the big wheel bearings to start throwing bands, I had some where the outside race got loose in the wheel that threw the blade.  I had a steel collar put in the wheel that took care of that problem.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

thecfarm

Your adjustment is diffeant than mine. I spin mine by hand,as you are doing and that works for me. As suggested run it without cutting wood and see what happens. I would call them. Jon should be able to give you a few ideas.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

I think i found out what my problem was.
On the Thomas Mill you set your blade tension with a tork wrench set at 18-28 ftlbs 
I have found my mill cuts better around 32 ftlbs
My helper is a good kid i enjoy having him around. I don't have a son but have a daughter that doesn't like me much.
My fault.
Anyway my helper gets board some times and plays with things he had the tork wrench set alot higher and i never noticed it.
On a video i whatched on band tracking on the Cooks site said to much tension the blade would walk of the front.
Thats what mine was doing.
I need to keep my helper busy so he stops thinking about Honey girl all the time.
He has a girl friend now. :)

scleigh

Bruno, Call john thomas with tracking issues. He knows his machines well and has taken the time to talk me through tracking issues.

Magicman

Quote from: Bruno of NH on June 06, 2018, 08:40:17 PMAnyway my helper gets board some times and plays with things he had the tork wrench set alot higher and i never noticed it.
Nice catch Jim.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

There,I hope all is good now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!