iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Death

Started by Jeff, October 25, 2002, 03:29:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

There was a death today at the Paris sawmill in Paris Michigan. We do business with that mill. I will try to get more details but apparently the man's arm was sucked into the debarker and he died on scene. Although at this point I don't think I know this individual I know I must know some of his collegues.

Please be careful in your day to day activities and work. Shut down and disable the power on that machine as you repair or clean it. Do not give it a chance to hurt or kill you.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

A few years back I was working for a logger and we were producing for Moeke Bros. in Mancelona.  We got to know a guy by the name of Dave who worked there at the mill.  He was a jack of all trades there.  Mechanic, truck driver, mill wright, operator etc.  One day in the woods the guy I was working for came out and told us that Dave had gotten tangled up in the de-barker.  He had apparently tried to clear a jam with out shutting the machine down and it sucked him in.  Luckily for him the belts on the old machine were pretty well worn out and after it had drawn him in a ways they started to slip.  He was pretty well screwed up but lived.  Shut the stuff down before you try to work on it,  stay away from moving parts, and avoid wearing loose clothing that could become entangled in moving parts.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Noble_Ma

I think a lot of accidents happen when people get to comfortable around machinery that they use day in and day out.  I worked with an old time carpenter that has half a thumb that's cut at a forty-five degree angle.  Yes, he was installing  window casing using a power miter box.  My junior high shop teacher lost most of his thumb showing us the proper way to rip on a table saw.  

richnewill

The accident at Paris Sawmill involved a 24 year old debarker operator.  He'd been employed there for around 2-1/2 years.  I knew his face, but did not know him personally.  I don't know what brought him out of the booth to where the running machinery was, but he was there, where his arm was dragged in and torn from his body.  He could not be saved by coworkers there, and emergency personnel responding arrived too late to stop the extreme bleeding from taking his life.  He has a yound child and a fiancee.  This man was loved by his family, and it is certain will be missed by them as well as his coworkers.  This was a shocking tragedy, certainly an avoidable one.  I hope this sad mistake will act as the initiative for all workers in our industry to practice lockout completely, and every time.  We've had 2 amputations in the past 6 weeks as well:  a young man working as a lumber piler kicked a block away from an edger.  His foot contacted the running saw.  The leg had to be amputated below the knee.  Another saw operator had his hand dragged into a running saw by his glove.  He lost 4 fingers.  All these are beyond words to me.  They need not have happened.  Take this warning seriously.  Don't be a victim.  Turn it off, and lock it out every time!  sincerely, Rich Newill, Loss Control Rep. MATSIF
Rich Newill

Corley5

Excellent advice Rich.  Words to live by

L. Wakefield

I just hunted up the poem by Rudyard Kipling dealing with this. It was called 'The Secret of the Machines'. Just about the last verse of the poem is this;

But remember, please, the law by which we live,
   We are not built to comprehend a lie,
   We cannot love nor pity nor forgive.
   If you make a slip in handling us you die!

Over and over I taught this to my son, to my patients, to anyone who would listen. I don't think I ever quoted Kipling directly (until just now) but the lesson stays with you.

The website for this is at www.poetryloverspage.com/poets/kipling/kipling_ind.html  . Some of his poetry leaves me quite cold, but this one was very well done. An interesting fellow.   lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Corley5

That's good.  It pretty well sums it up and  I'm going to remember it for later use.

L. Wakefield

It is a cold and harsh reality. Much like the bite of a planer- or any steel- when it cuts ito your  finger and hits into the bone. I ain't never been kilt yet (well, DUH..)- or not that I've noticed.., but I sure as h*** have felt that bite. God must look after fools like me considering some of the stupid stuff I've done. I don't deserve the mercy he's given me. lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Corley5

My Dad always told me when I was little to never trust a machine.  They can't be depended upon to not hurt their operator.  The operator has to be smarter than the machine and know to stay out of its way by not putting him/herself or another in a position that could result in injury.

Noble_Ma

I think anyone who has worked around machinery has felt the bite of steel.  I've managed to get nipped a few times. I've been working with my son in the wood shop and can't remind him enough about proper safety.  I showed him the photo that KiwiCharlie posted awhile back of the chainsaw accident and I know it made him think.  He's been good about obeying the shop rules but I have to constantly remind him of the little things.  You can never be to safe.

Mark M

Worst one I heard of was a fellow was cutting firewood on a home-made buzz saw. The nut came off and the blade went flying. It cut him in half from the waist up. Luckily it was before my time and I didn't have to see it.

Mark

Dugsaws

I am still here also thank the lord, it wasnt with wood equipment but farm equipment, chain on the combine head came apart, stoped it let the head down on the ground to take the pin out, to take the pressure off and thump, next thing i know i wake up in the local E.R seems the steel that was nattached to that pin had spring tension on it. Well to make a long story short the hat I was wearing it split the bill 3/4 the way back to my head shattered my glasses never to be found and left me with 85 stitches abouve my right eye. So I know the GOOD LORD was watching over me that day

Doug

Jeff

yikes. I'd rather work around mill equipment then farm equipment.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bro. Noble

I work around farm machinery and sawmill stuff and logging.  I've had my share of bumps and bruises and a few stiches.  The worst injury I've ever had,  however, was when I slipped in the stinky green stuff----------looking for a 'nose holding' smiley ;)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Danny_S

I worked maintenance in a wood products plant and I maintained a Diehl 6 head moulder. It was well outfitted with guards and head brakes ect.. but still was a very dangerous machine to work with if you didnt know what you were doing. It bit a few people but knock on wood (with all my knuckles) I never had a bite. I seen my share of cuts there though... but the worst was one fellow run his hand through a newly spiked feed roller.... 3 different guys who seen it fainted.
Plasma cutting at Craig Manufacturing

Thank You Sponsors!