iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Any experience with Sequoia Mills?

Started by MartyTheMiller, January 09, 2015, 02:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyTheMiller

Hi all, nice to be here.  Nice forum with nice people and great information.  I look forward to learning more as time goes on, and perhaps someday contributing to the collective knowledge.  Now for my question.

I am going to build a house this summer, using my own fir logs, cut from my own property.  I am looking at a couple of the small mills, one from Wood-Mizer and one from Sequoia Mills.

http://www.sequoiamills.com/sm-120-new.html

The Wood-Miser because of it's great reputation here and they have a dealer close to me, and Sequoia Mills, because of their simplicity and robustness.  I have talked with the people at Sequoia, and they seem legit.  Anyway, does any one have any experience with Sequoia?  I couldn't find any reference to them by searching the forum.  TIA

Marty
Just getting started!

GAmillworker

Marty

Welcome to the forum

I'm sure someone will be along with some help soon
Thank the Lord for second chances

beenthere

Yes, welcome to the Forestry Forum.

From the looks of the Sequoia mill video, I'd suggest you are going to be comparing apples to oranges (no pun intended). Not much detail was forthcoming in the video on their website.
Just keep that in mind when you see them both sawing logs (which I'd assume you will do before buying).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Never heard of that brand. You might check out the other sponsors on the left for other choices as well.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

MartyTheMiller

I have Jeff, and while the products all seem fine, the fact is that they are all mid-west or east coast, except for the local Wood-Mizer dealer in Oregon and these guys.  I like to deal local, so if I have problem, I can drive there in a day with the mill and fix it, and to save on shipping costs.
Just getting started!

dgdrls

thecfarm

MartyTheMiller,Probably like my Thomas Bandsaw mill,built here in Maine,not much out there on them.I do like their centrifugal clutch on the mills.
Welcome to the forum.
How will you get the logs to your mill?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MartyTheMiller

Quote from: thecfarm on January 09, 2015, 07:02:16 PM
MartyTheMiller,Probably like my Thomas Bandsaw mill,built here in Maine,not much out there on them.I do like their centrifugal clutch on the mills.
Welcome to the forum.
How will you get the logs to your mill?

Well, I don't have the mill yet, but all the logs are currently living trees on my property, and I have a chain saw and a tractor!
Just getting started!

MartyTheMiller

Quote from: dgdrls on January 09, 2015, 06:17:17 PM
Welcome to the FF MartyTheMiller
follow below, may be of some assistance
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,79945.msg1214980.html#msg1214980

Well, it would have been nice to see a follow-up post or two.  They picked up the phone today when I called them.  One of the reasons I want to get a mill from a manufacturer within a day's drive.

Best
DGDrls

Just getting started!

5quarter

Hi Marty...If you're looking to get a manual mill for just personal use, it's not mission critical to have the Company nearby. Your riding lawnmower is a more complex machine. even if your mechanical knowledge is limited, you should be able to perform any maintenance and basic repairs. If you have engine trouble you can always take it to the local small engine repair shop. If I were you, I would not limit myself to those two choices only. The sawmill Mfrs. on the left may not be local, but they are built in the USA, just as important in my book. Best of luck and welcome.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

redbeard

Welcome Marty!  The wide throat is very attractive on the Sequoia bigger model. You will need some heavy support equipment handling logs that size. Sounds like a great adventure building a home with a mill on your property. Beautiful area where you live. Giant Splinter lives fairly close to Spingdale he might chime in with some info on the Sequoia Mill.   good luck on your Venture. Having a bandmill is a blast.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

backwoods sawyer

I have been seeing them on c-list for a while now but have not seen one run yet. Real simalor to the Burg mill and the Linn mill.
I have milled for owners of both and they were real happy with their mills just had more orders then time ;)
The burl hunters like the wide throte as well.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

BCsaw

Marty, my one suggestion to you is, on the Sequoia model that you attached, I would pay the $325 upgrade and get the 14hp rather than 8 hp. It will make you a much happier sawyer! If i could, I would go and give the mills a try and see first hand.

Good luck with your search.
Inspiration is the ability to "feel" what thousands of others can't!
Homebuilt Band Sawmill, Kioti 2510 Loader Backhoe

mikeb1079

QuoteI would pay the $325 upgrade and get the 14hp rather than 8 hp. It will make you a much happier sawyer!

that is excellent advice.   :)
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

MartyTheMiller

I thought I would resurrect this thread, as a month ago I went over to Sequoia Mills and visted the owners, Neil and Lisa.  I wanted to make sure they were the read deal, were building mills and wanted to watch one saw up a log.

They were gracious in their hospitality, considering they make the mills at their home.  I was able to speak at length with Neil, ask him all the questions I had and he fired up one of the demo mills for me and showed me how they work. 

Then he offered to build me a mill, deliver it to me, help me set it up and teach me how to use it.  How can one beat a deal like that?  So, I should be recieving my new mill soon, will post more about it then.
Just getting started!

MartyTheMiller

It looks like my mill is ready, and will be delivered this weekend.  More to follow.
Just getting started!

sawmilllawyer

Been watching this thread. Also saw their video, I liked how the sawdust exited away from the operator and used a centrifical clutch. Post some pics your mill and the wood you saw. Welcome to the forum. 
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

thecfarm

Congrats on the mill. Looking forward to the more to follow part.  :)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

MartyTheMiller

Sawmill delivered and set up by the owners, Neil and Lisa.  They are very nice people, and very sincere in wanting to make a good product.  They were very concerned though, when they arrived because the mill was damaged when they got here, because someone ran into them last night.. Auto accident, not their fault.  My small mill was being transported on a bigger mill with trailer wheels, and the goomba who ran into them bent both the frame lf my mill and the larger trailer mill.  Sheesh.  Also, my mill was vaulted to the ground from the back of the truck, with fairly extensive cosmetic damage to the blade protector.   So, they of course offered to take it back and start over, but I wanted to get to milling, and the bent track was pretty slight, but still noticable.

So, with either their insurance or the guy who hit them going to pay for the damage, I accepted the mill as is, with the understanding that they would deliver another track and blade housing in a month or so.  In the meantime though, I have a mill to use, and that is good because I have some work to do.

A couple of things which were a blessing in disguise, is that I will end up with a sawmill track 40' long, which is pretty cool, not that I am going to be using long logs that much, but at least I can.  I also found out the sturdiness of the mill, as it certainly looked  like there was no damage, and when Neil set it up and showed me how to use it, it cut straight and true.

So, that is where we are at.  I am very  satisfied with the purchase, and these two sincere people who just want to produce good sawmills for a good price.  I will post some pictures soon, I am really tied up with a bunch of business right now.
Just getting started!

redbeard

Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your mill and your projects. Iam interested in the wide cut ones they make. I want to go visit there operation when he has a 145 there. Glad you got yours going at your site.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

MartyTheMiller

Quote from: redbeard on March 23, 2015, 05:49:22 PM
Looking forward to hearing and seeing more of your mill and your projects. Iam interested in the wide cut ones they make. I want to go visit there operation when he has a 145 there. Glad you got yours going at your site.

The first project is to cut 30 2x10x12' in order to pour footings for the house.  Have the trees cut, but wouldn't you know it, the tractor lost a wheel today due to a wheel bearing failure.  Just gotta smile...  I did cut one dandy looking 2x10 today though.
Just getting started!

MartyTheMiller

Just an update... I am cutting 12' Noble Fir logs (the trees were once a christmas tree farm) and are now about 40' tall.  Cutting them down yields 2-3 eight to 12 foot logs suitible for milling. The project went from 2x10's to 1x10s, and I am getting about 8-10 boards out of a log.

I have cut up 3 logs so far, and I have some beginner thoughts.  First, I am not a spring chicken, (pushing 60).  The good news, is I have a Kubota tractor, which I can load logs on the mill with.  It has been a huge learning curve just to get 3 logs milled, but with each log, it gets easier.

The mill itself seems to be running real good, and the boards are straight and true.  I just didn't expect the manual labor involved with milling, but I told my wife the other day, that I am going to get in shape doing this.  Not a bad thing. 

So far, so good with this mill.  I would not hesitate it to anyone looking to buy an entry level mill.
Just getting started!

Lonely Sawer

Welcome. But what about the photo's ? If we don't see it, it didn't happen......Just kiddin'. Congrats on the
new mill.
Norwood LM29
Sthil 020 16" bar
Sthil 039  24" bar
Kubota L3130 HST W/Backhoe
78 Ford F-800 Boom truck
2017 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Cummins 4x4 crew
Yamaha Viking SXS

LumberDan

Hey there Martythemiller ,  I recently ordered a mill from Neil and I'm not having any luck with him returning  my calls. How has your recent experience  been their follow up calls  been?

dgdrls

Welcome to the FF LumberDan,

How about an introduction thread?

Best
DGDrls

Thank You Sponsors!