iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to look at a new truck

Started by Patrick NC, November 29, 2020, 10:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

It didn't take long to figure out that my 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive ram truck is a little on the light side for towing trailer loads of logs. My boss doesn't mind if I use my work truck, but I'd feel better about things if I just got a bigger truck of my own. So this afternoon I'm going to test drive a new Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4. It has the 6.4 hemi and 8 speed transmission. Dealer is doing Black Friday pricing until the end of the month. Right now he's at $41,499. I think that's reasonable for a 3/4 ton crew cab. My 2017 1500 only has 45,000 miles and about $6000 on equity. So I'm going to go try to make a trade. I'll let y'all know how it works out. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

SawyerTed

Aww man!  There's no hope for you any more!  You've got a horrible case!  I went March to December before I got a bigger truck.  Once you start it's hard to stop!
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

hedgerow

Many of my farmer friends including myself have went back to gas engines in our heavy duty pickups and like them a lot. I run the 6.2 Ford but several of my friends run the 6.4 Hemi and really like them also. I don't know your area but around here clean low mile pickups bring good money on the private market. I just sold a real nice 2011 chevy 1500 4x4 extend cab with 60,000 miles for a buddy that was going to trade it and got three grand more than he could get on trade. One of my farms is on a major highway and its a good spot to sell trucks from. This one sold the first sat it was parked there. 

sawguy21

Patrick, I couldn't touch that truck for less than 60 G's. Here a 2500 is classed as a passenger vehicle and subject to a luxury tax if over 55 grand as most are. A 3500 is a work truck so is exempt and less money, the dealers don't stock 2500/F-250s.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

hopm

I was satisfied with a half ton pickup for a long long time. Hauled "big" loads. Actually just hauled dangerous loads. Started driving a 450 dually 3 or 4 years back. Sad to say but sometimes you just don't know what you don't know. I can say without hesitation from personal experience, God looks after fools and dumb animals.

Walnut Beast

Quote from: Patrick NC on November 29, 2020, 10:12:47 AM
It didn't take long to figure out that my 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive ram truck is a little on the light side for towing trailer loads of logs. My boss doesn't mind if I use my work truck, but I'd feel better about things if I just got a bigger truck of my own. So this afternoon I'm going to test drive a new Ram 2500 crew cab 4x4. It has the 6.4 hemi and 8 speed transmission. Dealer is doing Black Friday pricing until the end of the month. Right now he's at $41,499. I think that's reasonable for a 3/4 ton crew cab. My 2017 1500 only has 45,000 miles and about $6000 on equity. So I'm going to go try to make a trade. I'll let y'all know how it works out.
New truck sounds nice 😊

firefighter ontheside

I hope it works out.  I've never bought a smaller truck in my life.  Eventually it might happen, but not until I'm done hauling logs, campers, etc.  I started out with a Ford Ranger, then an F150, then an F250 extended cab, then a 250 crew cab and now an F350 crew cab.  I always bought bigger after I realized the current truck was too small for what I was hauling.  Whether that was kids in the back seat or a newer, bigger camper.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

dgdrls

Went with a Chevy 1500.
It will pull my 9.9K rig safely just not every day.
Its also my daily driver.
Good price on what your looking at,
I couldn't find that here in the Northeast

Good luck

D

Resonator

I started out in 1/2 ton 2wd, and worked up to a 3/4 ton 4wd, you won't regret going bigger for hauling. Throughout this summer my local Dodge dealer lot was the most empty I have ever seen it in 45 years. At one point there were only 3 new pickups left for sale, on a lot that can fit a hundred or more. :o
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Corley5

New gasoline engines are impressive.  I've not been around the bigger ones but the 5.7 Hemi is pretty DanG fast  8) 8)  I went from a Cummins Dodge back to a half ton because I didn't need the capability and wouldn't afford the cost of the diesel.  And I've got an F550 ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Patrick NC

Well, I made the deal. After taxes and dealer fees it was $45600. Traded my 1500 and put $5000 down. Financed the rest. It's quite a step to get in and out, even being 6'2". I guess I'll start looking at running boards or nerf bars so I'll have a step. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

btulloh

Nice lookin' truck. I bet that 6.4 hemi has some torque. 

Keep it out of the dirt and don't scratch it. Now you need a work truck 'cause that one looks too nice for workin'.
HM126

Patrick NC

Quote from: btulloh on November 29, 2020, 08:16:32 PM
Nice lookin' truck. I bet that 6.4 hemi has some torque.

Keep it out of the dirt and don't scratch it. Now you need a work truck 'cause that one looks too nice for workin'.
I have only driven it about 60 miles (home from the dealer), but the 6.4 seems real stout. The 8 speed transmission shifts smooth and keeps the big hemi in its torque range real well. Should just get better as I get some miles on it and break it in a little. 

btulloh

I got a 1500 with the 5.7 hemi in July and I've been impressed by the torque and the 8 speed trans. The 1/2 ton is fine for 99% of my needs. One of these days I may decide to pick up an older 3/4 ton to go with it. 

Enjoy your new truck!  Christmas comes early for you!
HM126

Patrick NC

The truck that I traded in was a 5.7 hemi with the 8 speed. It had plenty of power, but the rear suspension was really soft. So anytime I hauled anything heavy it felt like the trailer was in control, not the truck. There are probably things that I could have done to make it better, but I was wanting 4 wheel drive. Besides, what better excuse to get a new truck? We trade every 3 or 4 years anyway. 

Skip

Good lookin truck (like a white truck] . Got a Chevy Silverado Duramax 2500  2011 w/ 72 k been a good truck . Going back to Ford want, F250 4x4 with 7.3 gas job. Don't really need that big a horse any more ,but that's what I want . :) ::)

btulloh

Quote from: Patrick NC on November 30, 2020, 05:19:47 AM
The truck that I traded in was a 5.7 hemi with the 8 speed. It had plenty of power, but the rear suspension was really soft. So anytime I hauled anything heavy it felt like the trailer was in control, not the truck. There are probably things that I could have done to make it better, but I was wanting 4 wheel drive. Besides, what better excuse to get a new truck? We trade every 3 or 4 years anyway.
When you need a 3/4 ton (and want a new truck) the best thing is to get one.  I'm not sure if changing suspension on a 1/2 ton gets the same result.  I expect the frame is heavier on a 3/4 ton, but I don't know all the particulars.  I do know that doing a lot of heavy towing with a 1/2 ton is not as good as the 3/4 ton.  Those ratings on the 1/2 ton trucks seem pretty generous except for occasional short flat land towing up near the limits.  You've got a good tool now and the loads won't push you around anymore.  Plus 4WD seems to be a necessity even it's just to get the trailer moving on marginal ground.  I wouldn't want 2WD drive.
HM126

mike_belben

Quote from: btulloh on November 30, 2020, 08:51:56 AMthe loads won't push you around anymore. 
Must not be a lot of logs.  

When i started moving my machine shop 990 miles one way, it was immediately clear a 12v dually 4x4 was dangerous in front of that much iron and i went to a 2ton international with a 466 and 13 speed.  when i started logging that truck was dangerous too.   
Praise The Lord

SawyerTed

Nice truck!  It will handle lots of towing I'm sure.  

When I upgraded I decided to go with a one ton crew cab-chassis and have a dump bed built.  It's a heavy sucker at 11,000 pounds!  It still gets 16-18 highway mpg and 9-11 mpg towing anything from my 7k 18' utility trailer to the 14k. deck over to the 9k travel trailer.  It's nice to have a truck with enough weight to pull the travel trailer without sway or wind affecting it much.  And the peace of mind knowing I have stopping power if needed is good. 

With all that said when it's paid for I'll add a half ton as my everyday driver.  The 3500 is ok but is challenging in tight places. 

A locking flip back hard tonneau cover would be an accessory to consider.  It would reduce loading and unloading tools, equipment and gear.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Bruno of NH

It's sad the CoCo butter's that work at the factories around
 here have the prices on desiel trucks out of control. 
They need them to haul their rubbish to the dump on Saturday's.
They sit at the diner with their work buds bragging how much they can haul , fancy rims and tires.
I wonder where have all the work trucks gone.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Tacotodd

Pavement Princess. At least, that's how "I" refer to them. 

If they are not going to do what a pickup was originally meant to do, then why not get a car?
Trying harder everyday.

woodworker9

CoCo butter's and Pavement Princesses........ :D :D :D  Tough crowd around here.

Here's my Ram Cummins 2500.  Works its butt off every day, but still looks darned nice (to me) after a good scrubbin'.

br>

03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Walnut Beast

alan gage

Congrats on the new ride. I always drive old junk but also found out real quick when I started hauling logs, tractors, and skidloaders that I needed to upgrade from my '88 350 chevy up to a bigger (as in stature) piece of junk so I picked up a '95 Ram 2500 with the V10 and manual transmission. Love having it around but drive it as little as possible because I know it will really hurt the pocket book when I have to replace it.

Any time I get a little jealous of all the shiny new trucks I just remind myself that no one in town has more cylinders than I do. :)

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Tacotodd

ww9, I am referring to all of the ones floating around here that are all lifted and big tired only to never (and I mean throughout their ownership) be used as a truck. I don't have any problem with a stock and pretty. Or any problem with a tweaked and used. It's the ones that are built but obviously never used; that's MY issue with them!
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!