iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going to look at a new truck

Started by Patrick NC, November 29, 2020, 10:12:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

Alan, that truck is 25 years old and well experienced. Run it like ya stole it ;D In your area I amazed it has lasted this long.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

alan gage

Quote from: sawguy21 on December 01, 2020, 03:44:04 PM
Alan, that truck is 25 years old and well experienced. Run it like ya stole it ;D In your area I amazed it has lasted this long.
We get lucky sometimes. It's got 165k on it but I don't think it's ever been driven all that much in winter. It's actually the 2nd time we've owned this truck. We (my dad and I) run an auto repair shop and bought this truck from an elderly customer about 10 years ago when he didn't want to spend the money to fix the front suspension. Not really having a need for another truck at the time we sold it to a friend in Des Moines who mostly used it around his farm. After I got my sawmill a few years ago and realized I needed a bigger truck I was talking to him and found out he wanted to sell it. So now I own it again. The motor has some piston slap but it's remained unchanged since we first worked on the truck over a decade ago. The body is getting some pretty good rust but the frame is solid.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

OH logger

Sawyer Ted what kind of cab and chassis is that with a dump bed that you get 16-18 MPG? That's amazing!! I have a crew cab chassis dodge Cummins with a a flatbed on I get around 9 MPG 👎🏿 It has a 25,000 pound gooseneck on it almost all the time and it's loaded half the time
john

Walnut Beast

My 2012 Dodge Cummins has never got good fuel mileage in town or highway empty average 12.5-13.5. I don't know what the new ones get. But I did spec one out.  These trucks are going to be over 100k before long. I did the dodge online pricing with same trim package and features with the H.O. Cummins one ton 3500 I was at 86k. A little more towing capacity 50 hp more and 200 torque. A bigger screen to look at when you should be looking at the road 😂. I did see one at dealer that was priced at 93k 🙄

SawyerTed

It is a 2018 Ram 3500 crew with Cummins 6.7.  Highway unloaded it will get 16 mpg sometimes better.  That's with the cruise set and running 60 mph.  Running 65-70 mph it does 12-14 mpg. 

Loaded and/or towing the best it has done is 11 mpg.  That is pulling our travel trailer.  Typically it gets 10 mpg towing most loads.  I don't have  CDL so a 7 ton deck over trailer is the biggest I pull.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Walnut Beast

Walnut Beast

I would like that mileage 😂. Mine is the dually mega cab automatic. My older one got fuel mileage like yours Ted. It was a Cummins one ton 6 speed manual 

Southside

Quote from: Walnut Beast on December 01, 2020, 08:58:06 PMI did see one at dealer that was priced at 93k

Don't even know where to begin on that.  My first two houses were considerably less and one had 19 acres on a lake.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Raider Bill

$13,700 for my first house with 5 acres.
Truck prices are crazy!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Tacotodd

Quote from: Raider Bill on December 02, 2020, 10:25:10 AM
$13,700 for my first house with 5 acres.
Truck prices are crazy!
Yes they are.
21 years ago when I bought my only new vehicle (4x4 Toyota Tacoma V-6 manual transmission xtra-cab), right at 33k when you figure in financing. First new vehicle ever, and likely to be the only one I'll ever have. BTW, I still have it at 300k miles later and it will still start and run like a top, even though it's been relegated to "tractor" duty. 
I REALLY like that truck, and will likely quit breathing and still own it!
Trying harder everyday.

sawguy21

Our prices will make you weep, I looked at a 2020 Ram 3500 srw quad cab that had a price north of 100 grand. It was fully dressed but still! I paid 15 for my plain jane diesel 2wd 05 Ram ten years ago and considered myself lucky, it is showing its age but has to keep going for a while yet. It will likely be my last vehicle.

Walnut Beast

Then the sales tax and licensing would make you drop to your knees 🤑😂

alan gage

The only answer to expensive trucks is for people to quit buying them. Not much incentive to make them cheaper when people seem more than willing to pay more. For the last 20 years my dad and I have been waiting for the bottom to drop out of the truck market but it hasn't happened yet. Suddenly no one thinks they can live without a truck.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

btulloh

Prices are ridiculous these days. My solution is to find a 2 year old, low mileage truck. There are people that buy new and then want the latest model in a couple years. This summer I bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie with a little over 11k miles on it from an individual . Every bell and whistle on it. Pretty much exactly what I wanted and I paid just a bit over half what he paid for it new. 

Those deals are out there if you're patient and flexible. I would have preferred a GMC but now I'm a Ram guy and happy with the deal. Saved me a lot of money and I feel like 11k miles is the same as new. 
HM126

sawguy21

There are good buys on lease returns as well. The high miledge fleet vehicles go to the dealer auction but well maintained trucks show up on the lots. I lucked into a clean 91 in 94 with 60,000 km, it served me well for years.

Tin Horse

Both my trucks are 2002's and mint. the one is a Toyota Tundra V8. The other GMC 3/4 ton Duramac diesel. ( bought 11/2 years ago). Couldn't be happier. They shouldn't drop much more value wise. I've been offered more for the Toyota than I paid. Besides it leaves money on the table for other toys that don't depreciate as badly. 
Bell 1000 Wood Processor. Enercraft 30HTL, Case 580SL. Kioti 7320.

Patrick NC

I drove the truck around quite a bit the last few days empty (about 500 miles) . Averaging 14.7 miles per gallon. That was calculated by hand. The mileage on the dash shows 15.1. Pretty close. I'm sure the dealer filled it with regular 87 octane and if this 6.4 is anything like my last 2 5.7s it will do better on 89 octane. Some say it doesn't make a difference, but it was worth about 4 mpg average on my 1500. Towed a trailer full of white oak logs this evening. I'm guessing about 12,000 pounds. Pulled good. Plenty of power. Mpg was about 8. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Patrick NC

Quote from: woodworker9 on December 01, 2020, 12:06:17 PM
CoCo butter's and Pavement Princesses........ :D :D :D  Tough crowd around here.

Here's my Ram Cummins 2500.  Works its butt off every day, but still looks darned nice (to me) after a good scrubbin'.

br>

Nice truck. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

moodnacreek

All these dodges. You guys are going to force me to learn to take and post pictures so I can show you my trucks: '71 f350 platform dump, '91 f350 4x4 reg. cab, 8', 5 spd diesel. and '92 2wd., 5spd. 4 cyl. All sticks and all Fords. What has the world come to?

SawyerTed

Trucks is trucks!  F-350, Chevy 3500, Ram 3500 they all W,O,R,K!  They all have strong points and they all have weak points.  I picked a Ram 3500 because it had the right features in the cab to make it a "nicer" work truck and had the Cummins 6.7.  Had Chevrolet had a 3500 cab-chassis with the cab features the Ram has, I would be driving a Chevrolet. The Chevrolet work trucks are too austerely equipped to suit me.  I've owned several Chevrolet pick ups, one Ford 150 and a Ram 3500.  All have done the jobs I needed them to at the time.

I want an F-350 cab with a Cummins 6.7 attached to an Allison transmission on a Ram frame with Dana axles and diffs.  This would be my ideal truck.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

sawguy21

A local shop puts Cummins in F-350s, really annoys the Ford guys. ;D

Southside

One of the girls that works for me has a new Equinox?  I think that's what it is anyway. Not that long ago I could tell you what any vehicle was by the tail lights, now I have no idea, anyway, this thing has every gadget you could imagine, including Wi-fi, which makes me cringe when I think about how many failure points there are in there and how many are interconnected.  My '06 D-max has a little over 400K on the clock - most with a gooseneck behind her.  Yes she could use a day trip to the spa, but it does everything I have ever asked it to do.  

Would I like to drive a new truck?  Yes, but today that money can buy me a new grade A creamery or another 4WD, 150+ HP row crop tractor, another LULL, a nice, proven, bull, and still have some left over.  Guess I will keep her for a while.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

WDH

My 2017 Ram 2500 megacab Cummings diesel gets 21 mpg on long highway trips on Interstate.  About 13 - 14 mpg towing the 20' gooseneck with a good load.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodworker9

Quote from: Tacotodd on December 01, 2020, 01:39:07 PM
ww9, I am referring to all of the ones floating around here that are all lifted and big tired only to never (and I mean throughout their ownership) be used as a truck. I don't have any problem with a stock and pretty. Or any problem with a tweaked and used. It's the ones that are built but obviously never used; that's MY issue with them!
No worries!  I didn't get offended, I actually had a good laugh.  I've got elephant/alligator skin, anyways.
Mine is a 2019.  I haul 2 different 16K trailers, and an 8000 lb. Airstream RV.  That truck has already been to California and back to Illinois, 5500 mile round trip.  My daughter and 2 granddaughters live in California.....and that's the only way I can see them.  You need 3 very strong men and a hydraulic ram to get me on an airplane.
The 2019 has the new redesigned Cummins 6.7L.  Now that it's broken in, I'll get 21 mpg hwy, around 68 mph.  If I go 80, that drops down to about 15 mpg.  Towing a trailer for work, I get around 14 to 15.5 average, with a full load.  I love it, and will probably put a million miles on it if I live long enough.
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Thank You Sponsors!