iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is driving sawmill purchase demand

Started by Kindlinmaker, May 02, 2021, 12:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

alan gage

Things go around. It's not the first, nor will it be the last, time that people feel the need to buy a little land and live in the country. There's been a long trend of building big (Mcmansions) with modern painted furnishings. Now wood is coming back. And not just any wood. The uglier and more rustic the better. Hey, why not get a little sawmill and make our own? Or get a big sawmill and cash in on selling it to everyone else.

I wasn't alive then but it seems there was a similar movement after the suburbia boom in the middle of the last century. People are always rebelling against whatever they get tired of, and someday they'll get tired of this. 

It seemed to me this (increased sawmill sales) was all beginning before Covid hit but that in the last year it's really spiked, either due to higher demand, lower output from the factories, or both.

I'd still love to hear the sales numbers from some of the mill manufacturers. How much are sales up? Is it a dramatic amount or is the high demand mere perception because bottlenecks are slowing production?

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

Ohioian

Like a couple of individuals have stated, there are people like me who have worked for the past 40 plus years and retired early with a large 401k and no bills have some spare money to spend. 
 I purchased one in September as a hobby and to complete a couple of honey do items including a timber frame pavilion. "Happy wife happy life". 
  With 20 plus acres of mature hardwoods, I hate seeing good lumber to go waste due to wind storms or just falling down. 

OH logger

I'm in the camp of "there's gonna be plenty of good barely used low hour mills for sale cheap when this eventually blows over". At least that's what I'm waiting for anyways  :)  Then I'll buy one and sell lumber when it's cheap. Lol that's my thing 🤔. Timing has never been my strong suit
john

nativewolf

Quote from: OH logger on May 04, 2021, 08:25:11 PM
I'm in the camp of "there's gonna be plenty of good barely used low hour mills for sale cheap when this eventually blows over". At least that's what I'm waiting for anyways  :)  Then I'll buy one and sell lumber when it's cheap. Lol that's my thing 🤔. Timing has never been my strong suit
Oh you are the other guy they keep talking about.  One day we should meet and share stories.
Liking Walnut

Southside

Off topic a little, but to show the insanity of it all.  The county sent out the tax bills last week, in there was a two page note explaining how COVID has caused used vehicles to increase in value, so your year older, with more mileage vehicle has a higher tax bill due, because it's worth more. Can't make this stuff up.   
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

bannerd

At our local church a similar question was asked and many people are buying Saw Mills and Dump Trucks or "AG Things" to be more self sufficient. 

These are the questions that I remember people asking..

• Fear of losing my job because of Covid (not having a way to make money).
  • Fear of losing my job because I don't want the COVID vaccine.. which the business I work for is borderline going to mandate.
  • Fear of not making money to support my family
  • Fear the Economy will collapse and the food market will die (That's why I bought a ton of farming equipment and a horse!).
  • Fear the government will want more control and we will need to show ID to obtain food.
  • Fear the constitution will be totally eroded and freedoms will be gone.
  • Fear the...
  • Fear the...

The list went on but at the end of the day the community is strong and I think together we can over come those fears.  In the mean time It seems to me we're not in a good spot and there is a massive amount of freedom being lost especially in the "Commercial/business" vector.  With no freedom or limited freedom it is really driving people to be more self sufficient.  Food bills are the number one expense most people with families face.  When you have a government that is Top heavy to begin with and hands out tax dollars by the margin.. it just adds to the top which will eventually cause total collapse.  Regardless a strong community in heart should pull through but there is a lot of fear and worry these days.

diegokid

We were looking at mills for a few reasons.
1.  Going to retire from my second career soon.
2.  Have 60 acres of land.
3.  Relatives who clear land who will provide more free lumber, well I have to go pick it up but have truck and trailer capable of that.
4.  Just like making stuff.

Anyway list goes on but will mostly be used for hobby stuff, friends family.  Have pretty much decided on woodland 130 with a trailer for options to move it around.  Biggest reason is wife of thirty years is on board with it too, that's the majority of the battle for most.

VB-Milling

Quote from: diegokid on May 05, 2021, 07:55:23 AM
Biggest reason is wife of thirty years is on board with it too, that's the majority of the battle for most.

When the wife is onboard, everything is just easier LOL
HM126

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

jpassardi

I'm in the camp of "there's gonna be plenty of good barely used low hour mills for sale cheap when this eventually blows over". At least that's what I'm waiting for anyways  :)  Then I'll buy one and sell lumber when it's cheap. Lol that's my thing 🤔. Timing has never been my strong suit
I have to say, I had the same thought - in a couple years there will be a surplus of used mills.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

ohiowoodchuck

Me either. I'm on the woodmizer waiting list. I'll try my hand with this little manual mill and in a couple years if the market is flooded I'll upgrade to a full hydraulic. I got plenty of wood. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

LeeB

I suspect the market may be flooded but not so sure the deals will be so great. Internet has changed the price of used items.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ohiowoodchuck

Quote from: LeeB on May 05, 2021, 09:49:09 PM
I suspect the market may be flooded but not so sure the deals will be so great. Internet has changed the price of used items.
You could be right. I've noticed that a lot here over the last 4-5 years with farm auctions. For what worn out used is bringing, it would be better to buy new. I saw two guys get into a bidding war and paid more for a two year old John Deere planter then what a new one costs. 
Education is the best defense against the media.

TKehl

My gut tells me there will be a glut of hobby mills for sale with low hours, but weathered or under a tattered tarp.  

I'm betting the higher end mills will hold more of their value long term though...
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

alan gage

Quote from: LeeB on May 05, 2021, 09:49:09 PM
I think it cuts both ways. It's much harder to find something priced way below market value but it also levels the playing field by letting a person see what's available nationwide to keep someone from asking well over market value without good reason.
Either way if there are more mills than buyers prices will go down, just as now they're going up since there seems to be more buyers than mills.
Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

DocGP

Being a new guy as I am, my small bit of humble advice to those on the waiting list is to order a few blades now.  So they will be waiting for the saw.  Browse the great info here and get a few different ones to try, or if you know, maybe a box or two, so you won't then be waiting on blades when the new baby arrives.

Doc
Ole Country Vet
LT 50 HDD
MX 5100 for the grunt work
Stihl MS 261 C-M

Brad_bb

I agree with Jeff, a lot of mill exposure on youtube and certain prepper shows.  Also, during the pandemic, many people had a lot more time on their hands and looking for something to do, and watching more of the aforementioned youtube etc.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

snobdds

The average family of 4 received 12k in extra stimulus money for 2020, 2021.

It has to go somewhere...

farmfromkansas

Just checked the auction results for yesterdays Big Iron auction, they had a 17 model LT 40HD with a debarker, and it sold for 67,500.  Someone from California bought it. Hope the woodmizer company does not find out, price of mills could go crazy.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Southside

With those prices I might have to wax the 70 and take a promo video of her chewing through a few logs....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

I may have already mentioned it in this topic, but I have had several phone calls from folks wanting to buy my sawmill.  My selling price is firm @ $55K.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

Remember MM - 5% goes to the FF if the buyer saw it here. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!