iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mods on LT15

Started by downsouth, September 20, 2012, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

downsouth

Hey guys I'm fairly new to milling and have been lurking around here for a few months, I want to thank everyone for all the info.
I purchased a 2010 LT15 a few months back with power feed, and absolutely love milling. My question is, I want to add a hyd log turner and clamp and have been checking out the pinewoods claw turner. That is one option, I was thinking about a 2 plain clamp instead, maybe 2 of them 6 or 8 feet apart. What do y'all think of that? And which ones would be better. Seems to me if you had two 2 plain clamps you should be able to roll and clamp anything . What do ya think?

Magicman

Hello neighbor and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   :) 

Personally, I would see no need for two clamps, but then I have never seen one either. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jemclimber

I don't see a need for 2 either. I think you would be better off adding powered toe adjustment with rollers that could also be used to position the log.  I have an lt15 with power feed also and love everything about it except the clamps, which I very much dislike.
lt15

downsouth

I do plan on adding the roller toe boards but was going to do the log turner:clamp  first. I was just thinking you may need two 2plain clamps to roll the log/can't. Would one do the job well enough? Or just go with the claw turner.
And yes I dislike the clamps as well.and love the little mill.

Thanks magicman

hackberry jake

I would think it would be hard to synchronize two clamps/turners at the same time. One would probably be plenty. I designed my system to handle 3000psi. I was planning on shooting for max pressure to be 1500psi. I got it running and tried it out on a good sized cedar log, and it turned the log just fine running on about 125psi. I think I could probably turn a pretty big log.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

downsouth

Thanks jake, I saw your mod thread and video, great job.

pineywoods

Downsouth, methinks you may have missed something somewhere. The pw claw turner is ALSO a very effective 2 plane clamp, all in one unit. Member Jermmy2200 has one on an lt15. I can't imagine 2 of them on a mill. It will turn and clamp anything you could possibly get up on an lt15.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

BandsawWarrior

I have two 2 plane clamps on our Baker sawmill and it's absolutely amazing.  I can cut a 30' timber easily flipping and moving it around using both clamps with out damaging it.  I use it every time I'm sawing anything over 16', can't imagine not having it.  It's well worth the investment if you'll be sawing long stuff. 
Tyler Hart
T&N Custom Sawmill

downsouth

thats what i wanted to hear.My question was, would one two plane clamp do the job, or put one claw turner. I had no intentions on putting two claw turners. I just have no experience with either one,and did not know if one 2 plane clamp would work well enough.
My thinking is a 2 plane clamp could be made using 2 hydraulic cylinders,(may need to be a telescoping type cylinder or something like that for the left right as to not stick out to far.).The claw turner needs 3.
i havent got into the measurements yet because the mill in a temp. spot as i am building my sawmill shed.
When i get the mill up to the proper height i will start measuering and figuring.And it may be that the claw turner is the best and easiest option being that it is prooven.

when I start I will try to post pics of progress. Thanks again.

hackberry jake

You don't have to have three cylinders. You could run a 3" cylinder for the lift arm and a 2" for the claw arm. You would just need more pivots to keep it true. I considered the two plane as well before I built the claw. It was a toss up to me and I knew of someone (pineywoods) who had built a claw before to answer my greenhorn questions. So I chose claw.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

YellowHammer

I put a winch clamp and hydraulic two plane on my LT15 in tandem with a winch claw turner.  One good, fast, two plane is all I ever needed, ether on the LT15 or my LT40.  Whatever method you chose, going from manual clamp and turn to hydraulic will make all the difference in the world.
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

downsouth

Good point Hackberryjake,thanks.
Thanks Yellowhammer, I saw one mod on here on a LT15 with the winch clamp with a steering type cylinder powered by a dump trailor type pump.(was that you?) It was a very good mod.
Well it seems pinneywoods is pretty close to me so,i should probably try that one so i could pick his brain a little.
I have a cousin who is a retired hydraulic mech. and i have done fitting and welding for a few years (and worked with my cousin for a year or so)so i got some experience and HELP.
We are working so much do to the storm we just had im having withdrawls seeing my mill just sitting there.
When the OT is overwith im going to get started on the clamp.

Thank You Sponsors!