iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first Sawmill shed

Started by Florida boy, June 16, 2017, 11:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florida boy

I've been milling for about 8 months now. Pretty much from the get go I've been wanting to build myself a sawmill shed/woodshop. shortly after I got my feet wet I set out to cut the post needed for a "pole barn" style building. I figured that using Steel trusses would give me the most unobstructed open space. and be easier to install.
the overall dimensions are 72'×32''×12'. I have found a a local truss manufacturer that builds pole barn trusses out of 1.5" square tubing for top and bottom cords that have a 160 MPh wind rating. I will be using 8×8 ×16 that I cut myself and have just got back from pressure treating with .80cca.
    I plan on having a 23' girder made for the sawmill opening. this will give me 24' from outside of first post to center of second post. on the opposite side I plan on having a post on 12' to catch the other side of the girder truss. the next three bays Im planing on 16' centers . that way I can air dry 14' and12' lumber easily.
   talking with the truss manufacturer he says I should be fine with 16' centers as long as I use 2×8s for purlins. I plan on using metal for roofing. no snow load here in northwest Florida.
   I plan on burying the post 4.5' deep with small gravel under and around the post 4-6".
right now I haven't purchased any trusses yet only thing I have done is spread 54 yards of clay to build up the grade a bit. will probably have 12" of sand clay mix packed and topped with some kind of stone. I can get dolomite pretty cheap locally. has anyone used dolomite for there shed floor?
what do you guys think about the layout? 
  once I get the barn built I want to enclose one of the 16' bays for a wood shop. I think I will probably do a concrete floor but have thought of wood since I have a mill.

if anyone has any pointers on putting up poless barns I would much appreciate it. I have a ford 3400 with fel to assist with heavy lifting. does anyone have a slick way to detach a truss from a boom from the ground. been trying to figure it out but all I can think of is a ladder/strap.
   thanks for any advice in advance.

woodworker9

I bolted a 6X6 to the forks on my skidloader.  I used a chain and hook off the end of the 6X6 boom, and was able to lift trusses into place at the peak using the hook underneath.  Quite the balancing act, but take your time, and it'll work.  I set all my trusses that way, with a guy and guide rope at each end for stabilization.  Throwing the ropes over the top plate was always the fun part......
03' LT40HD25 Kohler hydraulic w/ accuset
MS 441, MS 290, New Holland L185

Thank You Sponsors!