iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Winter is Here!!! Definately Going to be Staying for a While

Started by Coon, October 16, 2006, 10:48:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Yup here we have it.  It is still snowing.  It started yesterday about 11 AM with just a few fluffy white flakes falling as we were finishing up combining a field of feed barley.  The straw was getting tougher and tougher as we finished around 1:30 PM, but was still melting as it hit the ground.  By 2 PM it was a full fledged storm of a mixture of rain, sleet, and snow.
When I awoke this morning we had atleast 8 inches of the white stuff on the ground with more still falling.  The weather network claims that it will be the same weather for the next few days.  I guess winter must have just moved in on us here on the Canadian prairies.  We will be looking at white for the next 6 months in Saskatchewan. :o :o :-\

I wasn't exactly ready for this. :-[

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

crtreedude

Hmmm, no sign of winter down our way. I think it is due about the time of the next ice age or something...  ::)

So, how did I end up here anyway?

sawguy21

Oh Fred quit rubbin it in will ya. Just cause Brad STILL  has not moved to Supernatural British Columbia :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

Do you think I will quit this soon in the season?  ??? Nah, I wait until you all get cabin fever around March to slack off...

That's when you get dangerous up there!

pineywoods

Hey, I had my share of that.. In my younger days I spent some time on a radar base righton the montana sask. border. Dirty spot in the road called Opheim. We lost a few guys trying to drive from the site to town (60 miles) during them snowstorms. Run off the road, get stuck and freeze to death.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Coon

It is deemed necessary in Saskatchewan to own a cell phone for that reason. 

Fred,  You should know that I don't get cabin fever,  I love the winter months.  It was just that it came a little too soon for me.  Got Parts that I need for my tracked skidder and my firewood processor sitting out in the snow now.  But one thing I do know Fred, is you had better get on the next plane coming this way and DON'T forget your shovel.  My driveway is waiting for you. :o :D :o ;D

Brad.

crtreedude

Shovel? Snow? You got to be kidding!

When I was a youngster, I had to get up every morning and shovel the driveway before my father left for work. I kept doing this insanity until I was 40.

You see - I consider it insane when you do something that doesn't work, over and over again. You see - the snow kept coming back.  ::)

Murf

Freds not a Yooper, he's a Youster ......... ::)

He youster shovel snow an hated it, he youster live up here in da north but don't no more.

He youster have a real job, now he has time to remind us in da north dat we still have cold weather, an he only youster have it.

:D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D  :D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

crtreedude

I Youster have a job - now I have three. I just happen to be in front of the computer instead of getting to be outside.  :-\

crtreedude

Hey - we got cold weather here! Why just yesterday it got down to 65 degrees F... made me want to search for the longjohns...  ;D

scgargoyle

Brad's just ahead of the curve on global warming... WAY ahead of the curve! :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Coon

Yup you're right on the money there scgargoyle.  I'm so far ahead of the global warming that I am catching it from behind. :o :o :D :D

Brad.

sprucebunny

Coon, I'm real glad that winter isn't here....yet... cause there's still a few things that I would rather not have frozen to the ground in the driveway ::) But when it gets here, I love winter.

We didn't have it last year. It was depressing.

How about a picture of your tracked skidder ??? You've been holding out on us :D

Joan ( ...who is seriously obsessed with tracked vehicles ;D )
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

crtreedude

Sprucebunny - just to say, I think you live in one of the most beautiful areas in the world. Our daughter just got married at Castle in the Clouds. If it wasn't for the winter you love, I might be tempted to move up there and ruin the neighborhood.  :D

Coon

Sorry Sprucebunny but I don't have any pics of the tracked skidder yet.  Actually I got pics but not on a dig cam just the old 35 mm.  Have to develop a couple more films yet.  I will be getting a scanner in the next couple of weeks or so (when I get to the city) .  Much to do yet on the machine....don't even have the tracks on yet....

Weather has actually become very mild since we had the snow storm with melting conditions that were just warm enough during the day to make it sloppy, then icy at night.  The forecast is calling for more snow flurries this evening with up to 20 cm in east central Saskatchewan.

See I told ya....... winter is here to stay. :D :D

Brad.

sprucebunny

I'll be looking forward to the pics, Brad. I have some tracks off, myself  ;)

CRTD -Thanks, it is pretty around here ;D Not quite as dramatic as the Rockies ( in either Canada or the US ) but very scenic.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Looked at the satellite image of Canada and she's a blanket of white clouds all the way down into the northern states. Gonna be grey here for at least the next 4 days. Rained this wednesday and today. I was cut'n brush all week for a little extra pocket change with the crew on the back side of a mountain in which I had to walk about 600 m through the woods after I got to the start of the strip. Had to walk about 300 meters from the car to the start of the strip because the road was wet and aldered in some. Didn't want to scrape the paint of fthe car.  ;D But, I tell ya, working in the rain or shine I kept the saw dust flying. Soaked head to foot on the rainy days.  ::) I can't wear rain gear when cutting, glasses steam up and too hot, even in 50 F rain.  ::) Burnt 8 and 9 tanks per day and was carrying in 2 gas jugs of gas and a jug of water every day.  Only stopped long enough to gas up and file. ::) I file in the morning and at noon. I cut about 3.5 acres in 5 days. That ain't nothing to brag about, I have a couple guys that cut 5 acres a week. But, they've cut alot more acres than I ever have. I might have cut 35 acres for myself and neighbors. Now Fred, I don't think I could do that in your heat down there, I'de be nothing but a grease spot. But, if you wanna take up thinning I'll keep a spot open for ya next season. I guarantee that keeping warm won't even enter your mind. ;D  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Oh, and I might add, we always liked our trips to New Hampshire. But, I haven't been down since the mid 80's, but the folks were just down there this fall. Maine is also nice, especially Aroostook County since it's close to home.  ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

asy

I imagine it must be winter there, coz we had to put the Air Con on here today. :D

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

sawguy21

Gee thanks asy, keep rubbing it in :D :D :D Actually I was wandering around outside today without a jacket and was quite comfortable. A customer came in wearing a heavy jacket and mittens. ::)

SwampDonkey

Coon

Fred where are you? Oh Fred where are you? The snow is getting deeper and deeper and the driveway is still waiting for you.  You are getting to far behind.  I can't get out of the driveway. :D :D :D

Yup we had another snow storm yesterdayand the day before.  The first day we only had freezing rain mixed in with sleet.  Got about a foot of the white stuff yesterday.  Thankfully the wind isn't blowin' yet.  KNOCK ON WOOD.  But the roads are icy.  Highway crews will be plowing and salting today.  Gotta love the salt melting the roads but boy do I hate having to wash the vehicles after everytime they salt.

How much snow do you all have where you're at?????  I'd love to show pics but I just can't afford a digital camera.

Brad.

sawguy21

No snow here.  8) I am now living near Vancouver, job in the Okanagan didn't work out and the store has since closed. We had the Pineapple Express, the tail end of a western Pacific typhoon, hit us last weekend. Man, did it rain.  :o Pretty serious flooding further up the valley.

crtreedude

I am happy to announce that we still have no snow. But I do have an airconditioner running today...  ;D

solodan

None here at my house yet this year, and I'm ok with that, cause I still have stuff to get done, and talk about shoveling, ::) There is nothing like waking up to 3 feet of fresh snow and the sun is out, and 35 degrees, 8) ::) :-\ :'( yeah it looks pretty, but ya know how much a shovel full of that stuff weighs. ??? ::)  There has been snow in the high country though ,and the passes have closed till may or june.

Thank You Sponsors!