iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Live edge ash...

Started by IowaAl, October 16, 2016, 08:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IowaAl

Couple of questions...if I mill 4/4 ash and leave the bark on for live edge siding , will the bark fall off an leave the typical live edge look with a smooth surface like a long dead tree? And second question...what's anyone's thought on making an using black Walnut pins in my ash timber joinery?

WmFritz

The Ash I've sawn loses its bark pretty quickly. Because of EAB killed Ash that I use, the borer lines are prominent on the live edges; gives it more character to me.

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

IowaAl

The ash I'm using is mostly healthy live trees. Not enough EAB standing dead around here. Have milled a few test pieces an the bark is pretty tight. An forcibly removing it just damages the smooth surface I'm lookin for.

Den Socling

When EAB hit, they will go through like a raging fire. All Ash will be dead in a couple months. At least that's what happened around here.

Darrel

My experience with ash on the Oregon coast is that if you cut it with live edges and stack it on sticks to air dry, the bark will be loose and come of easily by time it is dry.
1992 LT40HD

If I don't pick myself up by my own bootstraps, nobody else will.

WDH

For the bark to remain tight, the tree has to be harvested during the winter when the tree is dormant.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

woodweasel

aigheadish

All the Ash I have has been killed off, presumably by EAB. Bark, after a bit, falls right off and leaves beautiful wood. 
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

WV Sawmiller

All my bark falls off my ash. I like the idea of the BW pins. That should really be a pretty contrast. Show us the results when you use it.

I've had customer buy ash, walnut and cherry to make cutting boards for the white, red and dark brown contrast.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!