iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

This is not for sale

Started by 99Dave, February 06, 2020, 09:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

99Dave

This is a picture of a Rocking Chair that's been handed down to me. None of my relatives that are alive  knows anything about the chair. I'm sure their were many of these rockers manufactured. Does anyone have any history about the build origin?

sawguy21

Beautiful intricate work. I would guess from the 18th century but I am no expert.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

It's very interesting. The form of the top of the back is like Danish modern but the back slats and seat  are sort of like Sheriton ( sp?) and the detail in the arms is like Louis the 15th. ( Or one of the old guys named Louis)

I would guess it was made in a Scandinavian country in the 1800s.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

luap

Why am I not seeing the picture in your post ?

luap

Okay, I visited your gallery and viewed the pictures. You can link your pictures in your gallery so they show up in your post, just click on add photos to post and follow instructions that is in the blue box on the bottom of where you are typing the text. Can't help on the chair but looks similar to one my wife has that was made in 1800's. Oh and welcome to the forum. This should probably have been posted in the General topic column for best response.

RPF2509

That style of chair is called 'empire' and originated from Napoleon who fancied himself the next head of the roman empire so much of the furniture of that period had greek and roman design motifs (leaf garlands and carved figures are dead give aways for the style, so is sliced veneer).  I'm not saying it was made then as the style was still being made well into the 20th century.  It may have a makers mark under the seat or on the back - take a look.  In any case, much of that style of furniture is over the top in ornamentation and rarely made today

Thank You Sponsors!