iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scrap Steel

Started by farmerdoug, April 02, 2008, 10:26:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

farmerdoug

I just received word that the auto bundles auctions for scrap steel has jumped over $150/ton for April.  This puts the auto bundles price at between $550-600/ton for the month.  Auto bundles are a monthly auction of scrap from the big car companies.

If you guys have scrap to move you may want to check your dealers to see what they are paying. :)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

scgargoyle

Finally- My truck is going up in value! :D :D :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

roger 4400

Do you mean my 1959 Oliver tractor worth near $1,200.....picking up in value.......Have a nice day                           Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

farmerdoug

That is the problem.  The old tractors will soon be worth more for scrap. ::)
Doug
Fargo, MI

WDH

In cleaning up my fathers estate, we sold over $17,000 worth of scrap.  The scrap man that we worked with got much better prices, about 25% more, than the scrap buyers would pay us directly.

We got over 10 cents per pound for the iron and steel, 8 cents for the tin and misc metal, and up to $3.25 per pound for copper. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

a old timberjack

i did some last rainy day , i had a pile of crap out back i been looking at for a while , i almost fell over when i brought it to the scrap yard, my wallet felt pretty good that day ;D if i could do that everyday that would be sweet 8)
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

Dale Hatfield

Quote from: farmerdoug on April 02, 2008, 10:26:23 PM
I just received word that the auto bundles auctions for scrap steel has jumped over $150/ton for April.  This puts the auto bundles price at between $550-600/ton for the month.  Auto bundles are a monthly auction of scrap from the big car companies.

If you guys have scrap to move you may want to check your dealers to see what they are paying. :)
Just checked car scrap price $240 a ton all around . Looks like a good profit on their end.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Warbird

Quote from: scgargoyle on April 03, 2008, 05:34:51 AM
Finally- My truck is going up in value! :D :D :D

Mine, too!  I smell retirement!  ;D :D

johncinquo

I was out riding around on the quad with the kids this weekend and took a spin through the old "dump grounds" out in the corn fields and apple orchards.  Its almost all cleaned up!  All the old farm equipment, abandoned cars, fuel tanks, implements, unidentifiable machinery is gone.  Guess someone either needed the money or decided it was finally worth it to take it to the scrap yard.  I'm glad to see it get cleaned up finally at least. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

farmerdoug

We took in 3000lbs of old batteries today.  They have been piling up for years as for a long time they were only worth 50 cents each or nothing.  I received 20 cents a lb which works out to an average of $10 each.  Some were 80 lb tractor batteries while others were mower tractor batteries.  One less thing to trip over. 8)
Doug
Fargo, MI

Paul_H

My dad told me that scrap prices were really good in the late 1930's too.Kids were bringing in scrap metal in little red wagons and making a bit of money.I think he said Japan was buying up all they could get their hands on.
I wonder what the heck they did with all that metal? smiley_dizzy
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Furby

Seems like I recall reading someplace that they air mailed it back to us a few years later, but I could have that wrong. ::)
History don't repeat itself, so no biggie there. :-\ :)

farmerdoug

Our steel industry is expanding too.  With our dollar being down we can compete with the now not so cheap foreign steel. ::)  

And after we beat them we can spend more money rebuilding them too. ::)

Doug
Fargo, MI

Furby

Doug, were the batteries weighed with the fluid in them?

pineywoods

Quote from: Paul_H on April 07, 2008, 08:59:44 PM
My dad told me that scrap prices were really good in the late 1930's too.Kids were bringing in scrap metal in little red wagons and making a bit of money.I think he said Japan was buying up all they could get their hands on.
I wonder what the heck they did with all that metal? smiley_dizzy

Those of us old enough to remember the late 30's and early 40's can tell you EXACTLY what they did with it :-X
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dana

Pineywoods, I don't think Furby is old enough to remember and he knows. (above post) :) We may someday see some of our scrap air mailed back, return addressed Korea or China. :(
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

farmerdoug

Furby,  Yes, fluid and dirt and all. ;)  He even took the batteries that were in pieces. :D

Some were dry from being cracked from sitting around over the years.  The scrap guy I deal with is sending out a semi-load with around 40,000lbs later this month. :o

At the rate we are spending on stuff from China, they will just buy us instead of war. ::)
Doug
Fargo, MI

easymoney

i do not sell all my scrap metal. i look at a pile of scrap and i might see a sawmill or a fork lift or a tractor. or some other machine i can not buy ready to run. i sold a couple of cars to a scrap dealer a couple of months ago. he reminded me they would have weighed more if i had rolled the windows down and let it rain in them before i carried them to market. he does not seem to mind buying buckets of water or scrap paint as long as they are in an old car or refrigerator or something. just do not carry him any gas tanks unless they are still on the car or covered up so he can not see them.  old propane  tanks have to be in the floor of a car covered up with some innocent looking scrap.

Sawyerfortyish

My uncle told me he's never got as much for aluminum cans as he did the other day. Something like .70 a lb how much is it in you area?

Furby

Quote from: farmerdoug on April 08, 2008, 07:43:34 AM
At the rate we are spending on stuff from China, they will just buy us instead of war. ::)

Don't know if anyone else has seen the new series on The National Geographic Channel: America's Port.
It premiered at the same time as Ax Men this past Sunday night, but it's normal air time is 10 pm Eastern on Monday nights.
Anyways, in the first show they had a crane operator talking about how he's concerned with what he was unloading.
They were unloading 4000 or so containers from Asia and reloading 4000 empty containers.
One of his comments was "air is the United State's biggest export".
Their goal was to get that ship unloaded, reloaded and out of port so there would be enough time for that ship to have a return trip to the US before Christmas....... a month away.

Scary! :-\

Larry

80 cents/pound for cans here today.  Copper was $3.00.  The easy arn is all gone.  I've got 600' of winch line on my winch and looking to pull some cars out of the hollars that nobody else can reach.  Just gotta find a strong boy to pull cable.

My neighbor has a firewood yard on the way to the lake campgrounds...he can't find anybody to deliver firewood as all the cutters are arn huntin.  Gonna deliver firewood to him myself in the morning, just to keep him open.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

gary

Propane tanks will blow up when they are processed at the scrapyard. If you are going to hide them in a load of scrap please make sure that they have a hole in them.Take a valve off ,shoot a hole in them. The few pennies you get for a propane tank aren't worth the life of the people working the shredder. The rumor is that the price of steel is going to go up again in May,by about $50.00 a ton. I am not going to sell any steel until next month unless I run out of room to store it . I have about 100 tons right now,and am processing as much as I can.
The new hot item for scrap is going to be plastic. I am just getting started recycling it. But the problem with it is you can't get enough weight on a truck,maybe 20,000 pounds on a tractor trailer.

Furby

Yeah, plastic has a weight problem, but with the right stuff you can get a good load.
When I worked at the factory, they went from regrinding all the plastic, reusing what they could and getting rid of the rest, to dumping it all in the trash.
Then they started to give it away, and then found someone to buy it.
I ended up being the one to weigh and load it for a while and the blow mold rejects were a waste of space, but the purge piles and blow mold trimmings had some good weight to them.
With fuel prices up, it makes it less worthwile. :-\

The other thing they had trouble with recycling was 55 gallon drums.
VERY little weight for the amount of space used.
Again, lots of those were given away and the rest stored until they could find someone to come in and take a truck load.
There had been talk about crushing the steel ones on the spot, but there was no easy way to reduce the size of the plastic ones and that is what they had the most of.

Edit:
America's Port will reair the first two shows starting tonight at 9 pm on the National Geographic Channel for those interested.

Dave Shepard

The junkyard guys are supposed to come here on monday to start hauling out old farm stuff. Looks like they are paying around $100/ton for stuff and they do the cutting and trucking. Will be nice to get the place cleaned up, but I see lot's of potential projects being lost. Maybe it's a really good thing this stuff is going. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Warren

I am with Gary on the concealed tanks.  My dad worked in a steel mill. He spent two or three weeks in the hospital and 6 months re-couping when a tank of something exploded in the electric furnace he was shoveling minerals into.  "Fortunately" he was headed away from it at the instant it went off. 
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!