iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber-framer in the making!

Started by grweldon, January 04, 2016, 09:34:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grweldon

Here is my son working on the our first hybrid timber frame project, a workbench.  Full-dimension 6x6s for the posts, full-dimension 2x8s for the top stretchers and full-dimension 2x6s for the bottom stretchers.  Pieces will be held together with 1/4" timber screws.  I have to say he (Wes) is doing a fantastic job considering that he is working with a cheap Chinese chisel that won't hold an edge and a claw hammer to chisel out the dados.  The bench is all Southern Yellow Pine harvested from my property.    I'll post pictures of the progress...

Notice the stack of walnut in the background from the rotting walnut I cut down last summer...

It pleases me beyond words to be blessed with a flat and level concrete slab to work on!
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Brad_bb

Good for him!  I must say he'd be much more comfortable working at sawhorse height.  My back hurts just looking at his positioning.  An important part of timber framing is working with the least stress on the body.  And he needs a proper wood mallet.  A steel hammer like that will destroy a chisel handle.
Here is the sawhorse design I use. 2x6's and a mitre saw.

I did build some cribbing ponies first, but found these far more effective.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

grweldon

Thanks for the reply Brad.  I agree, sawhorses are needed.  I asked him if he wanted to stop to build some and he said he didn't.  He's 23.  Indestructible.  Weren't we all at that age?

I agree with the mallet as well.  I have a lathe set up in the barn already and asked him if he wanted to stop and turn one.  Again, he didn't feel it was necessary.  After all, it IS a cheap Chinese chisel from Harbor Freight.  I don't have any good TF chisels yet and by the time I'm ready for them, I may not be able to use them with deterioration from age and all.  The right hand still isn't nearly back to where it needs to be after the wrist break from the fall.

Thanks again for the comments...
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Brad_bb

Is he going to screw it together with Timberloks or actually mortise and tenon and peg?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

sawmilllawyer

Good on you G.Weldon. It is refreshing to see young people interested enough in the craft to build something, even it is with cheap tools. We all started out somewhere. Reminds me of my younger days. 
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

grweldon

Quote from: Brad_bb on January 09, 2016, 02:53:26 PM
Is he going to screw it together with Timberloks or actually mortise and tenon and peg?

Brad,

We are using 1/4 x 5" timber screws.  I don't yet have the proper tools to make a 6" deep mortise.  We worked on it a bit this weekend but nothing significant.  I just pulled a stack of wood inside (the new barn!) that had been drying for over a year, mostly 1 by stock.  I had some oak, pecan, pine and cedar.  I was hoping to use oak planks for the top but I don't think I have enough.  Might have to go with pine.  Afterall, it's just a workbench, but it's pretty stout!

grweldon

Some pictures of the workbench progress.  Only have an hour or two here and there to work on it.  Still have the end 2x6 stretchers to cut, fit and install and the 1by lumber for the top and the shelf.  Might finish this week depending on priorities.  I would estimate it will weigh between 250 and 300 pounds when finished.  Very stiff and pretty massive.  I doubt it will move much when I hand plane the top.  Moving it to it's proper position will be a challenge!

hacknchop

Nice sturdy bench will serve you well for yrs to come :)
Often wrong never indoubt

Thank You Sponsors!