iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

green lumber for B&B nailers on house wrap?

Started by dgm72, March 29, 2024, 12:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dgm72

I used green pine lumber for nailers for board and batten siding on top of forcefield sheeting ( integrated house wrap) on a small shed. I've also hung green boards but plan to wait to put up battens to allow drying.. how worried about the nailers rotting should i be in Western Montana ( semi arid)?

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. 

What size are the "nailers" and how much room for air movement have you allowed for drying?  You've raised a good question, as likely only time will tell how well it works for you. Post a pic or two to show us your build. We like pics. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgm72

The nailers are 1" thick by about 3-4" and they are nailed right to the sheeting/ wrap. So no air gap behind the nailers which is my main concern.  with the battens currently off the boards have the 1" gap created by the nailers and 3/4" gaps between the 9" wide boards. I've only completed one side so trying to decide if i want to rip it off and at least put dry nailers on. thanks for any advice, i'll try to get out it and snap some pics to share.

beenthere

The wrap breathes and I don't think you will create any major problem with high moisture under the nailer that will result in decay.
I'd just watch it for awhile where you can see if mold develops, but leaving off the batten should give you enough air flow to not see any mold.
Only rip it off if you see a better reason for doing it.

I'd also try to contact reps of forcefield sheathing and ask for their advice. They should have suggestion as to how their product would affect any high moisture problem, but am sure their product still breaths and is not a vapor barrier.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

dgm72

Thanks for the insight on this. Good point that the membrane does breathe, i haven't had time to reach out to forcefield , but did get some pics

dgm72

dgm72

Ianab

With the gaps between the nailed up boards, you haven't sealed the green wood inside a wall yet. Some air (and therefore moisture) can still circulate. It's not perfect, but it should be OK. 

Bad would be if the green boards were totally sealed inside a wall, say with vinyl siding on one side and OSB on the other. Then no air can circulate, and you could get a mushroom farm in there. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!